Building a day pack on my Duplex frame. Need suggestions.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I want to ditch my Timberline bag after packing in my spike camp. As a day pack I want to try a couple of pockets on the frame. This is what I have come up with so far:

uploadfromtaptalk1390517818418.jpg

A Longhunter lid over a large belt pouch. I figure that should hold my day hunt gear, rain gear and game bags. I'll hang a bladder between the Longhunter and the frame.

I need suggestions from you Roksliders on how to attach the Longhunter to the frame. I have it mocked up with paper clips for the photo. I realize it will be hanging upside down, but the attachment points line up perfectly that way. I just don't know what kind of hardware I can get to mate them together.

colonel00

WKR
Are you just going to have the lid flopping or will it connect at the bottom too? A closer shot of the attachment points would help. If it is just the webbing, you could probably sew on some 3-bar sliders fairly easily. Or, get fancy and get some webbing and sew on a 3-bar slider on one end and a buckle on the other. Then you can easily pop the lid off if you wanted.

Edit, you beat me too it. I would just get some webbing and sew a 3-bar slider on one end. Then the other end of the webbing can be run through the ladder lock (I think that is the correct term). Otherwise if you like it in the "upside down" orientation then I would go back to the webbing with a slider on one end and a buckle on the other.

Stid2677

WKR
Are you just going to have the lid flopping or will it connect at the bottom too? A closer shot of the attachment points would help. If it is just the webbing, you could probably sew on some 3-bar sliders fairly easily. Or, get fancy and get some webbing and sew on a 3-bar slider on one end and a buckle on the other. Then you can easily pop the lid off if you wanted.

Edit, you beat me too it. I would just get some webbing and sew a 3-bar slider on one end. Then the other end of the webbing can be run through the ladder lock (I think that is the correct term). Otherwise if you like it in the "upside down" orientation then I would go back to the webbing with a slider on one end and a buckle on the other.

That is what I was thinking too, could buy them ready made by getting the KU Adapter Kit from Kifaru.

Look at how the hand warmer in this link is attached,, use that same method, run the 3 bar slider through the top of the duplex and snap a 1 inch side release buckle on it, snap on the lid.

http://store.kifaru.net/kits-p32.aspx

Steve

OP
123 4/8 P&Y

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider

I like it. I'll post up the finished product after I get some 3-bars and stitch them to some webbing.

OP
123 4/8 P&Y

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I got my components. Now I just need to get my mom to bar tack some 3-bars into my webbing.

yteja8e5.jpg

I use 2 UL long pockets and a small pod after we have packed camp in. It works great, very light and holds everything I need for a day hunt.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought one from Hill People Gear right before Christmas... Or are you thinking Kifaru Highlander? Two different packs...

This bag would be just what the OP is looking for IMHO... I run mine on a Stone Glacier Krux but it would work great on a Bikini frame... SHTF (?) has pictures on here of an HPG Highlander and bikini and the look like they were made for each other. The Highlander is the perfect size for a daypack and camp/meat/kitchen sink can fit between the bag and frame...

stephen b

WKR
Just bought one from Hill People Gear right before Christmas... Or are you thinking Kifaru Highlander? Two different packs...

This bag would be just what the OP is looking for IMHO... I run mine on a Stone Glacier Krux but it would work great on a Bikini frame... SHTF (?) has pictures on here of an HPG Highlander and bikini and the look like they were made for each other. The Highlander is the perfect size for a daypack and camp/meat/kitchen sink can fit between the bag and frame...

Not trying to ? how other people do this and there are certainly different ways of doing all of this. I used to be ( and am somewhat) real adept at attaching all sorts of bags to a number of frames. Now I pretty much run stock set ups- because it is easier.

But as far as a HPG Highlander- it is a quality made piece for what it is- and I even ordered on one time to use on a Kifaru duplex frame ( with one of their sil nylon bags). But.... the Highlander itself was heavier than a Solo bag is that SG has. So respectively why would someone want to run a HPG Highlander on a Krux frame when it is smaller and heavier than a Solo bag that is made for it. And the Solo ( both versions of it ) has the load self already. My Solo bag weighs less than 22 oz! off my Krux frame.

Speaking of using a Highland bag on a duplex frame with a silnylon 25 bag from HPG. I tried that once to see if it would be a fit for me. I ended up sending it back- because here is what I found:

The Highlander alone weighed 26.25 oz
The 25 sil bag weighed 7.9 oz

So the HL plus sil bag was just over 34 oz.

Here was the real eye opener and one that I thought my eyes must be playing tricks on me. The HL bag and the 25 sil-nylon bag weighed more together ( just over 34oz)- even with out mounting hardware! than the Kifaru 7200 ci Longhunter Guide bag that I had at the time. It weighed alone with out its hood- 33 oz. And even with the plain hood it only weighs 37 oz. all set up to go on the frame.

That one blew me away and one I had to keep weighing to believe. I thought just looking at them side by side- this just cannot be. I was surprised.

When I called Evan and told him I was sending the gear back and told him what the HL and sil bag weighed compared to the LH guide, he was a bit surprised by that too- because he is well aware and has used Kifaru gear for a longtime.

It was about that time after trying all sorts of combo's ( most was stuff that I already had laying around) that I realized that all this mixing and matching may be more work than it is worth and can even end up weighing more.

A stripped down simple bag like the Kifaru Highcamp bags do not weigh very much. Or you could even run a SG Solo on a Kifaru frame ( I know from personal experience that that works on a duplex frame) and have a light set up. If you want to play Franken-pack.

Here is a few pics of a SG Solo on a Duplex frame when I used to have one.

P1020769.jpg

P1020770.jpg

P1020771-1.jpg

P1020772.jpg

P1020773.jpg

P1020775.jpg

Oh- and BTW, on pics above you will se that I had different shoulder harness on the Duplex frame from stock ones. I found for most uses that one in the pics was more comfortable ( and was also lighter than the Kifaru stock one. Ones seen in the pics above are just the shoulder straps from a Blacks Creek Western bag that I had. Comfy and light weight.

I will admit figuring this stuff out was fun and a bit like solving a puzzle. But after a while I found it easier to just go stock pack and bag.

Just my 2c- and possibly worth just that.

Cheers

Last edited:

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
The primary reason I like the highlander is I can compress a load in the load shelf without compressing everything in the pack... The Approach I bought and, based on your photos, the Solo compresses the whole bag. Might not be a big deal but it's worth a few ounces to me...

stephen b

WKR
Makes total sense- and it is good that we have a number of tools to do the job.

Your set up sounds like a good one. That is one thing I did like when I used a Handi-Pak ( from WPS) under a bag on a frame. You could cinch down the meat between the Handi pak and the frame and also have the bag cinched down to itself- but did not compress contents in the bag any more than they needed to be.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It was about that time after trying all sorts of combo's ( most was stuff that I already had laying around) that I realized that all this mixing and matching may be more work than it is worth and can even end up weighing more.

It's not always only about weight, but a mix of weight, excess bulk vs no bulk, and functionality. That's why you see so many people going out on their own and building their own packs. Plenty of good stock options on the market, however it's nice when one can put together something more ideal for their style and preferences.

chopchop

FNG
Lots of good ideas in this thread. Here's one for attaching the longhunter lid without any mods...

Take the webbing loop at the top and slide the female srb down towards the bag. Then fold it flat and stick the webbing through the looploc buckle on your frame. Then you can put a repair ladderlock or a caribiner or a paracord loop or whatever else to keep it from going back through. This is the same principle that the Hill People Gear ute-style compression works on. A picture is probably easier to show this idea...

Shown here with an xtl on a bikini frame. I used a grimloc biner, but you could just as easily split a couple looploc buckles with a hacksaw and have what you want for $0.20 and no mods to the pack.

lhlp.jpg

lzh9.jpg

rk27.jpg

ry3i.jpg

Last edited: