Buying a Mule

My wife and I are in the process of listing our house and moving to a place with more acreage. I got the green light for a Mule so I’m in the early stages of my research. Ideally, I would rather pay the money for one that has a few years of training/packing/trail riding under its belt. I live in SW MT but willing to travel.

Any tips or suggestions on selection process would be greatly appreciated.

OP
My wife has grown up with horses her entire life so I’ve ridden horses over the years. I’ve been on a mule a few times on extended packing trips.

Last edited:

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I have been on horses since was a wee lad. Have ridden mountain horses with an outfitter several times but on two such adventures there was a mule in the corral as one of the wranglers did not trust horses. None of the other wranglers in camp trusted a mule. Each morning about two hours before sunrise the mule would back up to the metal gate on the temporary corral and kick a crossbar every couple of seconds until was fed. Sounded like a blacksmith working diligently. I formed an opinion re mules as I like my sleep.

So, I have to ask, why voluntarily seek out anything that relies on you to feed and keep it alive? Secondly, why specifically a mule?

S.Clancy

WKR
Our family had (and hunted with) mountain horses for the first 26-27 years of my life. The one thing I will tell you is that if you go down the road to owning stock (horses, mule) it is a yearlong commitment if you want to do it safely. We rode our horses 9 months of the year, took them on pack trips all summer, hunted on them all fall. They were very well broke and extremely experienced with all types of packing, terrain and conditions and still we had accidents and narrowly avoided real tragedy a couple of times. If you are gonna be a guy that "only uses them for hunting" I would highly advise against getting them, for your own safety and theirs.

KenLee

WKR
Our family had (and hunted with) mountain horses for the first 26-27 years of my life. The one thing I will tell you is that if you go down the road to owning stock (horses, mule) it is a yearlong commitment if you want to do it safely. We rode our horses 9 months of the year, took them on pack trips all summer, hunted on them all fall. They were very well broke and extremely experienced with all types of packing, terrain and conditions and still we had accidents and narrowly avoided real tragedy a couple of times. If you are gonna be a guy that "only uses them for hunting" I would highly advise against getting them, for your own safety and theirs.
Amen on the ride em regularly, and often in some adverse conditions.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Being able to put a horse out to pasture and not worrying about feeding him and taking care of him daily is nice. When you say acreage, are you talking about a couple of acres and 365 days of feeding?

wyodan

WKR
I bought a very nice mule at the Salmon Select sale last year. Prices at Salmon were down, they were up at both Jake Clark and Chrome in the Canyon. They have to have a buddy.

jmez

WKR
You will want one that is well broke. Mules are not horses. Completely different animals. They can be dangerous if you are not experienced with them. Great animals, you just need to use some caution.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

ewade07

WKR
Get a couple horses and save yourself the trouble.

As stated above, any tack animal needs a mountain and attention. As my brother stated above, if youre not willing to put in 9 months a year of solid work i would advise against getting horses/mules.

OP
We are looking at 20 acres. Luckily, there’s hundreds of Forest Service trails within a couple miles of this parcel. We would be riding around 8 months of the year.

OP
I know mules are very social creatures. Would they benefit the companionship of a horse instead of another Mule? My wife will most likely be getting a quarter horse.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Just start with horses. They are a lot more forgiving. I don’t own mules and don’t have the patience they require. As others have said, they are different animals than horses.