Buying a Mule

work765

WKR
I have a 14-2 molly mule. I got her a couple years ago. She was miserable alone, so now I have 2 mini donkeys and a molly mule. good luck. its an expensive hobby!

Mike 338

WKR
Great insight Mike. Based off last years auction prices, I have enough saved to purchase one outside the top 5. I’m 6’5 (225) so I always assumed a taller Mule would be in order.
With your size you're right about not wanting a small one. The general rule of thumb is not to load you animal more than 20% of it's weight. "Tall" isn't so much a factor as is weight. "Conformation" or how it's built is more a factor for a bigger rider although for your height, there's nothing fat about you. Stout legs, well muscled and decent sized hooves are maybe thing's I'd be looking at. Well, that and not being ringy in the head. About the only thing your height makes relevant is how close your feet are to it's sides when you're in the saddle, since a lot of the communication will come from your feet and legs. A horse or mule that's 15.2 will fit almost anyone, assuming they're not real heavy. A taller mule is fine to so long as it's well mannered, and you don't need to pack (top-load) it much. Keep in mind, a trail horse doesn't just need to step over things. Sometimes you need to get off and lead it under a fallen tree. If it ducks it's head and the saddle horn hits the tree, your horse/mule isn't going to bend it's knees to go under. It'll hit the tree again and again till the tree gives and maybe falls on him, the saddle breaks or the animal explodes with undetermined results. That's what I mean by "seeing the accident before it happens". Go around, clear the trail or something other than tempting a disaster.

Some tall people think they look right on a tall horse or even what color it is. That's probably true for posers. The truth is, nobody's looking and nobody cares, other than the rider and the animal he's on. Tall or not tall mostly doesn't matter as much as good or not good. Even if they're good, you gotta work with them to keep them tuned up or to improve them and get them to where they're good.

Last edited:

Mike 338

WKR
There are horse people and mule people. Both depend on their training and time spent with their animals to develop the relationship.

I have spent my time with horses. I have had friends that had mules. Both were significantly injured by their mules. The last one ended up with a broken leg, hip, ribs and various parts. She had extensive horse experience. Like others I urge you to find a teacher to guide you through this for the sake of you and the mule.
That's a good point about experienced horse people.

I've been, as of late, watching a YouTube channel called Pilot Debrief. It's mostly about pilots who crash and what circumstances contributed to the crash. In many or most cases, the pilots were very experienced to the point of over-confidence. Highly experienced pilots making sometimes dumb and often fatal mistakes that got them and their passengers killed.

Mules minds mature slower than horses. The younger ones can be very insecure and therefore balk at what you ask them to do. You gotta patiently work through that. Starting them too early and pushing and expecting too much from a 800 lb. baby is asking a lot and inviting a mishap. I've been hurt too when I refused to see the signs.

There's a saying... horses should be trained the way mules must be trained.

Great insight Mike. Based off last years auction prices, I have enough saved to purchase one outside the top 5. I’m 6’5 (225) so I always assumed a taller Mule would be in order.
There's a big one posted recently by Ryan Boley on the FB Group: Packing in on Mules & Horses. Asking $9500.

It's a solid group to join also for reference. I just picked up my second mule, a 12yo Belgian, that's about 17 hands. I'm just 6' so am going to see how I do with the height. He's super sweet and so far seems to have a very good mind, but I just got him home a couple days ago. He's supposed to be experienced in trail riding, packing and working cows, but we will see how rusty he is.

If he ends up being too tall for me, then I'll find a good home for him. Feel free to reach out by pm if interested.

I'm in the Bitterroot Valley so imagine you're relatively close.

Definitely love the saying, which speaks a lot to ones commitment to training:
"You HAVE to do with a mule what you SHOULD do with a horse."

I'd been a horse guy but now getting into mules. So far so good, plus have a few buddies who pack professionally, who are total mule lovers, so guess I'm biased.

IMG_0882.jpegIMG_0863.jpegIMG_0875.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Thanks for the info, I’ll keep that in mind. We won’t be moving till May/June so I unfortunately won’t be able to get anything before hand. Luckily, most of those auctions line up with my time frame. This particular Mule happens to be in the next town over.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
We have 9 mules and my son has a filly that will be 2 in may. Be careful, around my place, they seem to multiply.