Buying used with no warranty

I have bought and sold quite a few bows. My current bow was bought used from a guy who won it and an elk banquet. It was a flagship bow and I paid 40% off. It was definitely worth the lack of warranty. I used to do my own work so it didn’t bother me. Today I may rethink it because I don’t have a bow press or anything anymore. Just look over the bow really good. A good seller on AT will text you a video of the bow. I always ask them to put a piece of paper in the video with the date and a random time. It ensures the bow is real.

jmez

WKR
Not worth it IMO. I've been shooting bows for many, many years. I've never used a warranty. I don't know anyone that has.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Warranty is pretty much worthless, except for Mathews. Most bow manufacturers only carry parts for 5 years or till they run out of the on hand stock. A lot of shops charge for labor on the warranty work too.

Mathews will still make parts for bows that were made over 10 years ago. Just can’t get them in lost camo anymore.

On bows I see no reason and I bet it’s most are never registered any how. Once a bow is a few years old most companies will treat second hand the same as original owner. A shops relationship with the bow company or rep. Will determine more on what you pay for parts(if you ever need them)

Warranty is pretty much worthless, except for Mathews. Most bow manufacturers only carry parts for 5 years or till they run out of the on hand stock. A lot of shops charge for labor on the warranty work too.

Mathews will still make parts for bows that were made over 10 years ago. Just can’t get them in lost camo anymore.
Interested how you see Mathew’s warranty better than others? Only because they stock parts? I’d say thats grabbing at straws if you’re talking limbs. Always can find cams and bearings. Most expensive replacement parts I’ve seen are Mathews

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Interested how you see Mathew’s warranty better than others? Only because they stock parts? I’d say thats grabbing at straws if you’re talking limbs. Always can find cams and bearings. Most expensive replacement parts I’ve seen are Mathews

Well you can always find bearings. But cams and mods can be hard to find or non existent.

I see Mathews warranty being better because right now I have
3 Elites, Hunter, E35, Victory. All bought used. Hunter and E35 were with the transferable warranty. Elite doesn’t support them anymore. So the warranty is useless.

I also have 2 Bowtechs, Experience and Boss. Experience was bought new and I have a warranty. Bowtech will only support with parts they might have still on hand or give you a credit on a new bow purchase.

I also have a Mathews Z7 Magnum, bought used. No warranty. I needed a different size cam when I bought the bow. Shop didn’t have any, called Mathews and could get one made for $150. I found a used one!

At one time I also had a Mathews Heli-m and Ez-7 and could get any part needed from Mathews.

So if I held a warranty as high value into my purchase I would put Mathews at the top in that category. Who cares how much a Mathews part costs if you don’t have to pay for it under warranty. Part of there high cost is the re-tooling up to make an old part.

I mean let’s face it, most warranties are just there to make the customer feel good!

Now you just made me realize I have too many bow!

WKR
I priced up a new bow with most of the accessories and it was over $2,000. Just keep using my 12 year old Mathews. Put new cables and strings on it. Bought my son a nice used Mathews well equipped for $500. I guess I'll just keep buying used. Trying to find used lefthanded 32" draw bows takes a bit.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I've always bought used never had an issue I always figure on a new string if u have the money new would be fun just doesn't seem to make sense wen they are worth way less just months after u drop 12-1500 on them

the one time i bought a bow new my release broke and bc i didnt have wrist sling my bow went flying. dinged up the cams and limbs bad and wasn't covered under warranty bc my fault using a junk release. Dealer helped me out somewhat taking care of the cost of a new cam but new limbs were still on me. used with no limb or cam damage is a much better value. If you can find a package with premium accessories that you can part out even better.

Well you can always find bearings. But cams and mods can be hard to find or non existent.

I see Mathews warranty being better because right now I have
3 Elites, Hunter, E35, Victory. All bought used. Hunter and E35 were with the transferable warranty. Elite doesn’t support them anymore. So the warranty is useless.

I also have 2 Bowtechs, Experience and Boss. Experience was bought new and I have a warranty. Bowtech will only support with parts they might have still on hand or give you a credit on a new bow purchase.

I also have a Mathews Z7 Magnum, bought used. No warranty. I needed a different size cam when I bought the bow. Shop didn’t have any, called Mathews and could get one made for $150. I found a used one!

At one time I also had a Mathews Heli-m and Ez-7 and could get any part needed from Mathews.

So if I held a warranty as high value into my purchase I would put Mathews at the top in that category. Who cares how much a Mathews part costs if you don’t have to pay for it under warranty. Part of there high cost is the re-tooling up to make an old part.

I mean let’s face it, most warranties are just there to make the customer feel good!

Now you just made me realize I have too many bow!
Eh at one time I had 12 bows in my house. Purged down to three. Maybe two soon. I agree with your second to last sentence. Within 3 years the flagship is half price and you can buy another one if it takes a shit.

DocYukon

FNG
I always buy used. The value drops on new so quick, many times you can buy a used bow, shoot it for some time and sell it close to what you bought it for.

I really appreciate all the guys that have to buy a new bow frequently so I can buy their used ones at a fraction of the cost. That said I haven't bought a used bow in about 10 years. Got a couple free ones though. Haven't bought new in probably 20 years.

nphunter

WKR
I've done both, I really think it depends on the person and how comfortable they are with working on stuff and the cost savings. I have used the warranty on two different bows. I had a prime shift new that had the limbs start to crack the coating off and they replaced them along with the strings that wore prematurely. I also had two sets of limbs and a riser replaced on my carbon spyder turbo. The limbs splintered on the edges like they are known to do which I could have shot if the bow was used, but the riser came apart where the carbon was epoxied into the limb pockets, It was still shootable but slid out of the limb pocket about 1/8". In both cases, the warranty was probably worth it, from Hoyt two sets of limbs and a riser would have cost as much as a new bow plus if I had to pay labor to swap everything it would have been expensive.

However, I just bought a new Mach 34 for $1050 and made myself a custom bow out of it and am only in it about $1200 with new limbs, cams and strings. A new one from the custom shop would have been over 2K so I built it for just over half what a new one would have cost. The only thing that could end up costing me is if I damage the riser badly enough not to be able to shoot it. New limbs are $225 and Cams are $250 so I can blow it up and repair it a couple of times for the cost of a new bow.

I've also always purchased used bows for my wife and boys and have had great luck.

You could just take the extra money from buying a used bow and put it toward a EZ Green press and learn to work on your own stuff. You will be way ahead in the long run, especially living in Hawaii where resources are limited.

Stalker69

WKR
Warranties are mostly a selling point, I have had warranty issues with both hoyt and Mathews that weren’t really taken care of by their warranty. Issues are you have to go through their “dealer net work”, and that is where we had issues, with both companies.

Idaboy

WKR
Bought last 3 bows used, on here and AT. Research the model you want and make sure it's not one with "known issues"....usually that becomes evident within a year. Then buy last yrs model for pretty cheap. Stick with good brand (Mathews, hoyt, prime, pse etc). When the new bows come out go shoot at proshop, then wait 6-12 months and buy....agree with others that wouldn't buy something 5yrs old.

Sizthediz

WKR
I started by buying a "back up" bow the first time. That way i wouldn't be without if it took a crap. It helped me learn and build confidence in setting it up, changing string and cables. Ended up being my primary. If buying online ASK questions and try and research the seller . And expect to put new string and cables on. If you're not comfortable giving it a one over bring to a shop that you trust to look over make sure it's safe. Good luck. B safe