Cabelas Instinct Outfitter tent with stove jack.

ptarmigan

FNG
I've been contemplating one of those, especially when they've been on sale for $200 off. The biggest turnoff to me is the weight. They are heavy even before adding a stove. I think they would be pretty bombproof and comfortable if you have the ability to transport it comfortably.

I'm still in the air about my next tent however it will have a stove jack.

I was curious about this one as well, however for nearly the same price you can get a canvas wall tent.

Theres also not a lot out there about these tents. I've seen one or two video reviews and a blog review and thats about it.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
I like wall tents more for western hunting especially with 3 or more people. I was thinking of this dome tent as a base camp for just my wife and me.

I think set-up, storage/drying would be easier and the amount of space used in the truck when hauling would be smaller.

A buddy and I used a cabelas 8 man dome tent that was supplied for a drop camp years ago in Alaska. We had 60 to 70 mile per hour winds that sounded like a jet engine and it held up perfectly. We were really impressed. Based on this experience and the stove jack addition, I am considering this tent instead of the wall tent

Standing height is important to me now as I am getting up there in years and the back an knees are talking.

I am hoping someone here will have some experience with it and share the highs and lows.

LaHunter

WKR
I have this tent and used it in WY 2016 mid-late October for about a week solo.
Pros: 1) bomb proof. Wind was insane, 60-80 mph gusts and 30-50 mph sustained for 8-10 hours. As long as it is staked well it will handle extreme wind
2). For a truck camp setup, it is lighter and packs smaller than a wall tent
3) Being double walled, it takes very little to heat up. My stove was too large and I actually got hot despite outside temps in the teens with lots of snow/wind
4) pretty easy to setup solo

Cons: 1) stove jack location puts stove almost exactly in center of the tent, so it’s in the way
2) vestibules are real big especially with the sloped roof
3) I wouldn’t use this tent with 2+ people as a truck camp if gear/food etc needed to be stored inside, I prefer more space to move around. I prefer a wall tent with 2+ people

I would use this tent again solo, but with maybe the Two Dog Stove which is small

I have this tent and used it in WY 2016 mid-late October for about a week solo.
Pros: 1) bomb proof. Wind was insane, 60-80 mph gusts and 30-50 mph sustained for 8-10 hours. As long as it is staked well it will handle extreme wind
2). For a truck camp setup, it is lighter and packs smaller than a wall tent
3) Being double walled, it takes very little to heat up. My stove was too large and I actually got hot despite outside temps in the teens with lots of snow/wind
4) pretty easy to setup solo

Cons: 1) stove jack location puts stove almost exactly in center of the tent, so it’s in the way
2) vestibules are real big especially with the sloped roof
3) I wouldn’t use this tent with 2+ people as a truck camp if gear/food etc needed to be stored inside, I prefer more space to move around. I prefer a wall tent with 2+ people

I would use this tent again solo, but with maybe the Two Dog Stove which is small

Got any pictures of your set up?

LaHunter

WKR
sorry, but no photos of the tent set up.
There is a good amount of room to stand up inside, but not like a wall tent. The side walls are much more vertical than the Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent, but you do lose some usable standing room.

Luke Moffat posted some photos of this tent set up in Alaska last year. He had good things to say about it and this factored into my decision to buy one.

I have the first version of this tent, the 10x14. Bought it 2 years ago. Use it as my base camp. The 10x14 sleeps 4 people on cots and room for stove still. Its a awesome tent, but has its flaws that have now been addressed with the new versions (10x10 and 12x16 tents). Its great against wind storms and holds heat really well, can cook you out if you have stove cranked up. Had snow several times up here in Alaska and did extremely well. The 2 main issues with my tent (10x14), #1....there is only 1 stove jack. Its located only on the rain fly. So you have a huge opening on the roof in the main tent that you unzip and run your stack up through. Heat loss wasnt bad but mosquitoes getting in was not fun. #2....not a fan of the zip out floor for the stove. Id rather put a piece of tin or fire blanket down. Having the zip out floor is a huge concern for water getting in tent. I put a tarp down under the tent and have had no issues yet for water entry. Both those 2 issues have been resolved with now 2 stove jacks and no zip out floor for stove. The new version should be a super solid tent. I still enjoy mine and will until it fails and i take it back to Cabelas for replacement because of their warranty. My model is now discontinued.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
Thanks NAK,
I wasn't aware that they made the changes you noted. Good info. I sure would like to see the new version in person.

Finding the right tent is so difficult, at least with a budget in mind.

Cdpp880

WKR
I have the 10x14 and have limited use out of it so far.
Plenty of head room throughout the tent, I’m 6’01” and can stand pretty much anywhere in the tent.
Can’t speak for the wind rating but I have no concerns about that either.
Not sure about the newer ones but the stove jack in mine is pretty much the center of the tent, I wish it was towards the back of the tent a little more.
I camped in my back yard with the lows in the upper 20s and wind around 20-25 with a VERY small space heater and it was plenty to keep it warm. I do not think it will take much at all to keep it warm.
I traded out the heavy metal stakes for 13” plastic ones and changed the rope on the fly for para cord and dropped close to 8pounds.
I think it will work great for 2 guys, stove and a lot of gear. Could easily do 4 on cots but with limited gear and would be a little crowded but doable.
The mane vestibule is huge and the one on the back is plenty big for a couple of packs and gun/bows and would help with entry and exit with 4 guys.
If you are looking for something lighter and easier to handle than a canvas tent and want a stove it will be hard to beat. I will try and get some pics up of mine with cots inside it this weekend.

Cdpp880

WKR
Pics I have now

Attachments

• 59750C34-9704-4570-A62F-9333FFE2ACE1.jpg
    59750C34-9704-4570-A62F-9333FFE2ACE1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 56C1988F-98A4-42B6-AC31-9E88CA137761.jpg
    56C1988F-98A4-42B6-AC31-9E88CA137761.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 169
I have the 10x14 and have limited use out of it so far.
Plenty of head room throughout the tent, I’m 6’01” and can stand pretty much anywhere in the tent.
Can’t speak for the wind rating but I have no concerns about that either.
Not sure about the newer ones but the stove jack in mine is pretty much the center of the tent, I wish it was towards the back of the tent a little more.
I camped in my back yard with the lows in the upper 20s and wind around 20-25 with a VERY small space heater and it was plenty to keep it warm. I do not think it will take much at all to keep it warm.
I traded out the heavy metal stakes for 13” plastic ones and changed the rope on the fly for para cord and dropped close to 8pounds.
I think it will work great for 2 guys, stove and a lot of gear. Could easily do 4 on cots but with limited gear and would be a little crowded but doable.
The mane vestibule is huge and the one on the back is plenty big for a couple of packs and gun/bows and would help with entry and exit with 4 guys.
If you are looking for something lighter and easier to handle than a canvas tent and want a stove it will be hard to beat. I will try and get some pics up of mine with cots inside it this weekend.

That would be awesome. Thank you!

Cdpp880

WKR
Hear are a few pics of the 10x14 with 2 cots and some gear. I really like the straps that go from one side to the other to help with high wind situations, works great for a clothes line.

Attachments

• E8634B16-BA0E-49A2-A624-52B0C0BFE479.jpg
    E8634B16-BA0E-49A2-A624-52B0C0BFE479.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 172
  • 019C62AB-7ED5-4244-8F5C-F4565FECE0FE.jpg
    019C62AB-7ED5-4244-8F5C-F4565FECE0FE.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 170
  • BB045E40-512F-4F92-B83E-46C81AB207CC.jpg
    BB045E40-512F-4F92-B83E-46C81AB207CC.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 161

Geogentry

FNG
Anyone have experience with this tent? Pros, Cons? How about the stove jack. Head room?
Haven't had mine long but have been traveling with it for two months now. Need to get my stove for the coming winter.

I have the 10x10 model.

Pros:
Easy to setup. One person can do it in less than 30 minutes.
Head room is good. I am 6'6" and can stand in the center of the tent.
Side walls only have a slight slope so not a lot of loss in room.
Vestibules are large enough to be useful.
There is a stove jack in the inner shell and the outer shell and the spark protector, that attaches to outer shell, (optional purchase) has a stove jack as well.
Poles, stakes, ground cloth, and tent all have separate bags. Weight can be divided up if need be to transport.
Seems easy to heat. Heated up tent in morning just by making coffee.

Cons:
It is heavy, about 60 lbs.
Not cheap.
The stove will set in the middle of the tent.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

treillw

WKR
I've been contemplating one of those, especially when they've been on sale for $200 off. The biggest turnoff to me is the weight. They are heavy even before adding a stove. I think they would be pretty bombproof and comfortable if you have the ability to transport it comfortably.

When have you seen them $200 off?

treillw

WKR
I have the first version of this tent, the 10x14. Bought it 2 years ago. Use it as my base camp. The 10x14 sleeps 4 people on cots and room for stove still. Its a awesome tent, but has its flaws that have now been addressed with the new versions (10x10 and 12x16 tents). Its great against wind storms and holds heat really well, can cook you out if you have stove cranked up. Had snow several times up here in Alaska and did extremely well. The 2 main issues with my tent (10x14), #1....there is only 1 stove jack. Its located only on the rain fly. So you have a huge opening on the roof in the main tent that you unzip and run your stack up through. Heat loss wasnt bad but mosquitoes getting in was not fun. #2....not a fan of the zip out floor for the stove. Id rather put a piece of tin or fire blanket down. Having the zip out floor is a huge concern for water getting in tent. I put a tarp down under the tent and have had no issues yet for water entry. Both those 2 issues have been resolved with now 2 stove jacks and no zip out floor for stove. The new version should be a super solid tent. I still enjoy mine and will until it fails and i take it back to Cabelas for replacement because of their warranty. My model is now discontinued.

What is their warranty on tents?

ptarmigan

FNG
When have you seen them $200 off?

Well not lately since Bass Pro has taken over. My comment you quoted was from 2 years ago. They did run sales on them and I almost bought one. Instead I went with a Luxe Megahorn Tipi with the bathtub floor and a wood stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk