California game management

Those marijuana grows also harvets meat of all sorts for camp.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Likely even more significant is how they pipe up surface water for irrigation, depriving wildlife. Add to that the poison and shooting animals in protection of crops (whether they eat them or not), pretty bad all around.

Strangely, deer may be one of the biggest winners through legalization in cA.

Most of the illegal grows are for out-of-state, where "grown in CA" is a marketing draw but "regulated and grown in CA" apparently isn't.

Most of us are looking at the long term trend line which has our deer herd declining by half over the past 25 years. I for one am not going to pretend the problem is solved because a particular herd is only down 50% and not 52%, or because the trend has reversed and a herd is only down 48%.

What appears to be missing here is that the high deer populations of the 50's through 80's were artificially high due to land management practices. What I mean is that Ranching and forestry practices were pretty much new, and literally changed the landscape. In changing the landscape, it changed the environment and ecosystem(s) to make a huge benefit for deer. At the time, man was not occupying wintering areas (critical habitat). Thus the population of deer skyrocketed UNNATURALLY. If you don't believe me, take a minute and search before and after pictures from the 30's - 40's and the 60's. You will see a stark difference of pictures of the same land.

So today's herd population numbers have finally returned to what historically is considered NORMAL population numbers. So the trend of thought here in this thread of our deer and their numbers being in despair is simply false. That outlook is falsely promoted by those not looking at/unaware of the historical data. The bottom line is that the facts clearly point to our herds being at normal healthy levels. The issue is that hay-day of deer hunting our CA herds at historical population highs has long past. I was fortunate to be around and hunting towards the end of those hay-days, and yes, I miss them. I can tell you stories about seeing herd after herd from just driving the dirt roads, but those days are over. They will never return without mans manipulation of the environment. And, with today's outlook on the environment and the restrictions, they simply will never return.

The misinformation written in this thread is astounding. I get the disappointment of many posters in this thread. After all, I hunt a zone in Southern Ca with some of the worst success rates. However, I still manage to see and pass on several legal bucks every season. In fact, I almost always see a few mature bucks every season. I have hunted a lot of different places, from several western states to outside the country, and southern Ca is some of the toughest hunting there is for mule deer. The surest thing to pay off in consistently upping your odds of having opportunities to fill your tag(s) is to spend as much time as you can in the field. To be clear, I am not talking only during the season. With migratory and non-migratory deer, there is so much to learn about there haunts, what causes the to move to different areas, how precipitation levels affect them, how food supply affects them... that a person is handicapped without knowing an area and it deer throughout the year.

But, the bottom line is that our deer herds (in general) are at historically normal population levels (taking out the exorbitantly high population levels of the 50's-80's). As such, our herds are at healthy population levels. However, my curiosity is in how wolves will affect our populations and the environment. What I mean is that once wolves are established in an area (I am aware we have 2 groups already) they will cause the movement of the deer to rise exponentially, as such the environment will respond to this change. But with our unique conditions, I seriously doubt we can predict how. I am sure that some populations of deer, elk, antelope and bighorn, those that are already struggling (certainly not the majority) will be significantly impacted, and some of them perhaps decimated. But this is limited to those few herds already in peril.

What appears to be missing here is that the high deer populations of the 50's through 80's were artificially high due to land management practices. What I mean is that Ranching and forestry practices were pretty much new, and literally changed the landscape. In changing the landscape, it changed the environment and ecosystem(s) to make a huge benefit for deer. At the time, man was not occupying wintering areas (critical habitat). Thus the population of deer skyrocketed UNNATURALLY. If you don't believe me, take a minute and search before and after pictures from the 30's - 40's and the 60's. You will see a stark difference of pictures of the same land.

So today's herd population numbers have finally returned to what historically is considered NORMAL population numbers. So the trend of thought here in this thread of our deer and their numbers being in despair is simply false. That outlook is falsely promoted by those not looking at/unaware of the historical data. The bottom line is that the facts clearly point to our herds being at normal healthy levels. The issue is that hay-day of deer hunting our CA herds at historical population highs has long past. I was fortunate to be around and hunting towards the end of those hay-days, and yes, I miss them. I can tell you stories about seeing herd after herd from just driving the dirt roads, but those days are over. They will never return without mans manipulation of the environment. And, with today's outlook on the environment and the restrictions, they simply will never return.

The misinformation written in this thread is astounding. I get the disappointment of many posters in this thread. After all, I hunt a zone in Southern Ca with some of the worst success rates. However, I still manage to see and pass on several legal bucks every season. In fact, I almost always see a few mature bucks every season. I have hunted a lot of different places, from several western states to outside the country, and southern Ca is some of the toughest hunting there is for mule deer. The surest thing to pay off in consistently upping your odds of having opportunities to fill your tag(s) is to spend as much time as you can in the field. To be clear, I am not talking only during the season. With migratory and non-migratory deer, there is so much to learn about there haunts, what causes the to move to different areas, how precipitation levels affect them, how food supply affects them... that a person is handicapped without knowing an area and it deer throughout the year.

But, the bottom line is that our deer herds (in general) are at historically normal population levels (taking out the exorbitantly high population levels of the 50's-80's). As such, our herds are at healthy population levels. However, my curiosity is in how wolves will affect our populations and the environment. What I mean is that once wolves are established in an area (I am aware we have 2 groups already) they will cause the movement of the deer to rise exponentially, as such the environment will respond to this change. But with our unique conditions, I seriously doubt we can predict how. I am sure that some populations of deer, elk, antelope and bighorn, those that are already struggling (certainly not the majority) will be significantly impacted, and some of them perhaps decimated. But this is limited to those few herds already in peril.

The state data indicates the deer herd was roughly halved from 1990 to mid/late 2000's, which is outside of the period you referenced as to when deer numbers were artificially high. That essentially contradicts what you indicated in response to "misinformation". You have mentioned "facts" with no citations, which are contradicted by easily researchable population estimates from DFW.

Does anyone remember the migrations?
as recent as 1988 we watched thousands of deer walk through hallelujah junction during Thanksgiving weekend. The migration was so big, Caltrans would close down 395 and send vehicles down 70-89.
Same phenomenon every November on the Madeline plains in modoc and south 395(x9). Those herds(x2, x3b,x5a/b, x6b) are nowhere near where they were even 30 years ago. They are experiencing a slight population bump since the end of the drought but that's likely due to improved grazing conditions and dispersed water sources

For those who want to read a bit about a localized study on deer population trends, the below is a link to a study done on blacktail deer (BTD) in the Mendocino National forest as well as a couple of notable excerpts.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=153193

Population Decline
The estimated asymptotic growth rate for the BTD population in the Mendocino National Forest for the period from 2009 to 2013 was 0.82 (SD = 0.13) and from 2004 to 2013 was 0.89 (SD = 0.11). In other words, the population was declining at the high annual rate of 11% to 18% between 2004 and 2013.

Despite high reproductive rates, the BTD population in the Mendocino National Forest is thus currently expected to be in decline. Second, we found strong top-down effects influencing survival of all age groups. Fawns were particularly affected by predation from black bears and coyotes, much of which occurred over the first 30 days of their life. Adults were primarily killed by mountain lions and observed kill rates were among the highest reported in the literature (Knopff et al. 2010, Allen et al. 2014a). We speculate that high kill rates of adult BTD are a consequence of kleptoparasitism from black bears (Allen et al. 2014b, Elbroch et al. 2015).

The state data indicates the deer herd was roughly halved from 1990 to mid/late 2000's, which is outside of the period you referenced as to when deer numbers were artificially high. That essentially contradicts what you indicated in response to "misinformation". You have mentioned "facts" with no citations, which are contradicted by easily researchable population estimates from DFW.

No, that actually supports what I have said. You just didn't fully understand, so allow me to clarify. The hay day was still declining in the 80's. It was also still declining in the 90's. The population is now consistent with historical data of our herds natural populations. What you refer to neglects to look at historical data when our herd numbers were not influenced by mans artificial environmental influence with resulted in unheard of population numbers. The problem with understand the big picture of this is in that you have to look at so many years of data and put all that information into context. Most here are simply comparing today's herd populations to the populations of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's; the years of extremely high population numbers directly attributed to ecological changes caused by man. Thus these elevated herd numbers are not natural, they are artificially high . What has happened is that it has taken the years to pass, until the 2000's for the herd numbers to decrease to normal population levels. So here we now sit with our herd numbers at normal population levels, and because we know there was a time when the numbers were so much greater, many want those days back. Hell, I'd like to see those kind of herd numbers again. But reality tells me that will never happen in my lifetime. So we have what is normal, as such, I make the most of it. I also fill my tags, and have no issue in doing so.

In short, the herd numbers took years to come down to normal levels and have finally level off to normal levels.

For those who want to read a bit about a localized study on deer population trends, the below is a link to a study done on blacktail deer (BTD) in the Mendocino National forest as well as a couple of notable excerpts.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=153193

Population Decline
The estimated asymptotic growth rate for the BTD population in the Mendocino National Forest for the period from 2009 to 2013 was 0.82 (SD = 0.13) and from 2004 to 2013 was 0.89 (SD = 0.11). In other words, the population was declining at the high annual rate of 11% to 18% between 2004 and 2013.

Despite high reproductive rates, the BTD population in the Mendocino National Forest is thus currently expected to be in decline. Second, we found strong top-down effects influencing survival of all age groups. Fawns were particularly affected by predation from black bears and coyotes, much of which occurred over the first 30 days of their life. Adults were primarily killed by mountain lions and observed kill rates were among the highest reported in the literature (Knopff et al. 2010, Allen et al. 2014a). We speculate that high kill rates of adult BTD are a consequence of kleptoparasitism from black bears (Allen et al. 2014b, Elbroch et al. 2015).

This ^^^^ is a great read. But, it is outside what I am referring to. This is one of the few herds actually in decline. The study also provides hard scientific facts that should lead to a pyridium shift in the outlook of predation. What I mean is that the scientific community believes that animal predation has no significant impact on deer population, where as this study proved the exact opposite.

No, that actually supports what I have said. You just didn't fully understand, so allow me to clarify. The hay day was still declining in the 80's. It was also still declining in the 90's. The population is now consistent with historical data of our herds natural populations. What you refer to neglects to look at historical data when our herd numbers were not influenced by mans artificial environmental influence with resulted in unheard of population numbers. The problem with understand the big picture of this is in that you have to look at so many years of data and put all that information into context. Most here are simply comparing today's herd populations to the populations of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's; the years of extremely high population numbers directly attributed to ecological changes caused by man. Thus these elevated herd numbers are not natural, they are artificially high . What has happened is that it has taken the years to pass, until the 2000's for the herd numbers to decrease to normal population levels. So here we now sit with our herd numbers at normal population levels, and because we know there was a time when the numbers were so much greater, many want those days back. Hell, I'd like to see those kind of herd numbers again. But reality tells me that will never happen in my lifetime. So we have what is normal, as such, I make the most of it. I also fill my tags, and have no issue in doing so.

In short, the herd numbers took years to come down to normal levels and have finally level off to normal levels.

Where are you getting the data for what "normal" herd levels are?

Normal prior to the hay days/boom in population. Remember, the herd populations boom occurred as a direct result of mans shaping the environment. Primarily through ranch practices to increase land production to support larger livestock herds, and through forest management practices, i.e., logging practices during those times and just prior to the boom in population; thus "historical population norm".

Normal prior to the hay days/boom in population. Remember, the herd populations boom occurred as a direct result of mans shaping the environment. Primarily through ranch practices to increase land production to support larger livestock herds, and through forest management practices, i.e., logging practices during those times and just prior to the boom in population; thus "historical population norm".

I understand that, where are you getting the herd data for the decades prior to 1950 to establish the "historical population norm"? It would be helpful for the purpose of this discussion for you to share that data.

The marijuana industry has had more of an impact on herd populations than you will ever know. Besides the poaching which is so rampant it's common place. The poisons they lay out are there are horrible and super deadly, and they suck water out of small water sources that kill entire drainages where deer have historically fed.

I've seen it first hand and spoken with growers that detail killing multiple deer weekly.

It would be really interesting to see a study done in areas where marijuana is grown, versus an area where it isn't.

Where are you getting the data for what "normal" herd levels are?
Kit Carson and jim beckworth counted mule deer herds and recorded their findings. Apparently deer herds got stronger after market hunting and a couple million immigrants

The link below disagrees with your contention and the population estimates provided pre-date CA DFW. There is a graph on p. 66 that shows that, even at the 1960's peak across the west, mule deer and blacktail deer numbers were below historical levels. Current levels are well below 1960 levels.

I think you need to re-analyze the information in that article as there is nothing on p.66 referring to CA deer population over time. But if you point out the specific graph or graphs your referring to, I will be happy to walk you through it, as my time permits.

They had 3 years notice about the new ammo restrictions.

I was referring more to the new ammo restrictions and the CF that has been coupled with the ammo restrictions. A new or casual hunter generally isn't going to be buying ammo multiple months/years ahead of time before a hunt. And, if they want to borrow ammo from their buddy, that's illegal now too.

If CA worried half as much about hunters and fishermen as they do for illegal immigrants, there would be real management and not all the crap they call management now. The fact is they don't care and would just as soon stop it all. They probably spend way more on non game "studies" than game studies. Enforcement is a joke. The wardens are few and far between. They get some of the lowest pay for LE in the state. About 13 years ago, I looked into becoming a warden. At that time, there were fewer than 300 wardens in the whole state. A large part of those worked on the ocean. In over 50 years of hunting and fishing in CA I was only checked by wardens 3-4 times not counting when I made contact with them. All these new ammo rules are just the latest assault on hunting. Not backed by science but an anti hunting agenda. I feel sorry for those who live there as the days of hunting are numbered I'm afraid.
Proud "terrorist"

Unfortunately not, they're very effective. Mtn lion harvest from hunting was never very high and that was with hounds. Extrapolate that to today without hounds and I'd bet less than 500 harvest per year. Trappers use over 1500 dep permits a year

In regards to the 1500 dep permits a year where do you get your stats from and are you talking recent years? Not saying they are wrong but 1500 seems high for lion permits. Also, almost all lion permits issued in my area the lion is caught with hounds.
As a strictly "what I've seen" opinion, the exploding bear population is probably the single biggest reason for the decline in deer population, mostly because of fawn kill. The time of year that fawns are born is when bears are skinny and roaming farther looking for food of which there isn't much yet as berries, acorns, etc. aren't there that early. Well, that and just too many people...

Edit - Coyotes are a major fawn predator also. Once poison was banned the coyote and bear population gained very rapidly. Prior to the poison ban there was a much stronger deer population and areas where bear and coyote population was extremely low. I'm in no way saying poison should be brought back however. The ranches I know that have big deer populations have very aggressive predator control.

Last edited:
Back