camp site etiquette

Would like to hear what you guys have to say about camp site selection and etiquette. I don't have a lot of time, not the youngest buck in the woods, and often hunting with my young kids. This limits how far back I can get and my lead to bumping into other hunters. I scouted a new spot last weekend about 5 miles from the trail head and found a nice place that has water. However, this is a spot that someone had also used last year because their was a fire ring and a blue tarp were left. So what to do? First come first serve? Who knows if they will be back or the same time I am planning on going in? If I went in and someone was already set up, is getting water and moving farther back in to the next bowl/basin acceptable?

Thanks

muleman

WKR
On public land first come first serve is the name of the game. As for the tarp left behind, if it is on public land then it is litter left by someone. Public land also has stipulations on how long you can stay camped in one place. Good etiquette dictates that we shouldn't camp right on top of water. So refilling your water shouldn't be an issue. However we are dealing with people, so your mileage may vary.

Vids

WKR
I don't know about MT, but in CO wilderness areas you can't camp within 100ft of water. Going off of memory, I believe it's only in wilderness areas and that distance is correct. I'm not sure about rules in national forest.

JG358

WKR
I don't know about MT, but in CO wilderness areas you can't camp within 100ft of water. Going off of memory, I believe it's only in wilderness areas and that distance is correct. I'm not sure about rules in national forest.

I know of a guide service that sets up a drop camp wall tent 15 feet from the only reliable spring in the area we hunt. They used to get all pissy when everyone that hunted the area came to their camp to get water. Now theyre nice and friendly about it but they still set up the tent in the same spot every year.

Vids

WKR
That doesn't shock me, I've heard more than one story about guides being territorial even when they have no right to be. I've also never experienced the rule about being a certain distance from water, just heard stories about folks having to move their camps.

bbrown

WKR
I know of a guide service that sets up a drop camp wall tent 15 feet from the only reliable spring in the area we hunt. They used to get all pissy when everyone that hunted the area came to their camp to get water. Now theyre nice and friendly about it but they still set up the tent in the same spot every year.
Permitted guides and outfitters operating on FS or wilderness lands are usually required to put their camps in the same spot every year by the USFS - at least that is how it is for us.

As far as getting pissy about the water, I bet someone complained to the warden or FS and they get got a warning. They have no right to be like that and it may even be a good way to get their permit pulled or at least their camps relocated further from the water to avoid conflict. Hence the sudden change of heart...

To the OP, I would camp there if no one else is but if they are there I would not be the guy who hikes past a camp only to camp further up and hunt the same drainage. Had that happen on more than one occasion and it sucks.

Last edited:
100' from water is also correct for dispersed camping in a White River National Forest as well. I can't speak for the rest of the national forest.

muleman

WKR
These links might help.
http://www.backpacking.net/ethics.html

Search your forest for specific rules.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/home/?cid=stelprdb5313448
No camping within one-fourth mile of a wildlife watering tank/hole. (Arizona Revised Statutes § 17-308: "It is unlawful for a person to camp within one-fourth mile of a natural water hole containing water or a man-made watering facility containing water in such a place that wildlife or domestic stock will be denied access to the only reasonably available water.")

JG358

WKR
Permitted guides and outfitters operating on FS or wilderness land are usually required to put their camps in the same spot every year by the USFS - at least that is how it is for us.

I was also under the impression that they had to camp in the same spot year after year but You'd think theyd make them camp an appropriate distance from the spring. When I first hunted there in '96 or '97, the camp was 70 or so yards from the spring, now you have to ride into their camp to fill up. The camp is in wilderness area in White River NF.

Beendare

WKR
I've been in many areas many miles from the TH and had another group park it 50yds from my tent- public ground nothing you can do....I don't even wake them when leaving camp....and sometimes appreciate their lights on when i get back.

bbrown

WKR
Ya for what ever reasons (depending on who it is and their mood), the FS has had us adjust our locations several times. Currently and for the past couple years they have us setting up one of our camps with the main trail to access a couple drainages basically going right thru our camp. Less than ideal for sure especially with the horses and it leads people to think we are trying to block the area which is not the case. We used to be in the same general area just further from the water and trail.