Whole house Water Softener Systems

We use Water Boss because that’s what the hardware stocks. We go through one every 10 years or so, like every other planned obsolescence appliance built today. Easy to install and calibrate yourself. We have terrible well water in our area. I drill wells, among other things. The salt free rigs don’t work for water that actually needs softening.

To the heart guy: the salt doesn’t go in the water. If you’re getting salty water it’s time to repair or replace.
It's minuscule, but it does add sodium. The sodium ions replace the calcium or other "hardness" ions to soften the water. The vast majority of the salt does go to drain during regeneration though so you shouldn't taste salt, as you mentioned.

Titan

WKR
Few comments:

For all but really problem water, a softener from Amazon or a big box retailer works fine. You pay those dealers for service and expertise. For complicated water (lots of iron, sulphur, pH) often additional filters might be needed, or special softeners that can contain different media types. A dealer is a good reference in those situations. A standard softener can handle small amounts of iron, etc but as mentioned should be treated with extra cleaner occasionally.

The amount of salt added to your intake daily is roughly the same as eating a slice of wheat bread, so only truly a little concern for the worst off individuals.

Most standard softeners have a 1" npt threaded connection that you can adapt or plumb to your plumbing.

Separate brine cabinet doesn't change anything about operation. Makes it easier to clean out if you use crappy dirty salt, but that's rare. Single cabinet units just take up less space.

Don't be too wrapped in max capacity, since almost nobody uses that when it's actually programed and is really inefficient with salt use at the highest settings.

That small unit mentioned is a water "conditioner"/ scale prevention device. These treat the water so minerals don't stick to plumbing, but they don't remove anything from the water.
The only thing I could find different on the all in one vs separate tank was that the all in ones only had 3/4” internal valves. Even if it showed 1” connections.

I don’t think most people would notice but I did require the extra size for my setup.

Alright there has to be someone here in the water softener business. I am looking to replace my current water softener and iron filter in my house. I've consulted Culligan and other companies, but its a little more than I would like to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good system that I can buy and install myself? Thanks in advance.
I just bought one from home depot amd installed it. Really isn't that big of a deal. Same thing I did 17 years ago when I needed one. Got that one at lowes. Easy install, works great. Use green bag of salt for nikon remover. You can get a hardness test strip to tell you what setting to use on the softner. Just set it and forget it. Good luck

I'm interested in a similar answer to the original poster. I've got hard water, but only notice the issue with stains on fixtures and sinks/tubs. Water tastes fine. Neither my wife nor I enjoy showering in softened water, so would NaturalSof be more up our alley than a traditional salt system?
I needed to replace my 30 yr. old salt softener last summer. My plumber said they don't install the salt types any longer and recommended a product called NaturalSof (they have a website). Anyway, it operates somewhat similar to a catalytic converter on a car in how it affects the water. I was skeptical since it's only about 15 inches long by 2 inches in diameter and installs directly run the main line. I went that route and it's been installed since then. I'm amazed because it actually works! No residue or rings in sinks or toilets, etc. Supposed to be effective for 10 years before replacement. You might check it out.

gbflyer

WKR
I ordered the Fleck 5600sxt off of Amazon for $700 and did a DIY install about 5 years ago. It’s been great and our appliances have been happy. We get salt at Home Depot and top it off every couple months.

It’s so bizarre for me to see one outside the house. I love it!

TxLite

WKR
It’s so bizarre for me to see one outside the house. I love it!
Would’ve loved to have it in the garage but that’s on the complete other side of the house. The attic was also an option but I decided I didn’t want to carry salt up there

treillw

WKR
Few comments:

For all but really problem water, a softener from Amazon or a big box retailer works fine. You pay those dealers for service and expertise. For complicated water (lots of iron, sulphur, pH) often additional filters might be needed, or special softeners that can contain different media types. A dealer is a good reference in those situations. A standard softener can handle small amounts of iron, etc but as mentioned should be treated with extra cleaner occasionally.

The amount of salt added to your intake daily is roughly the same as eating a slice of wheat bread, so only truly a little concern for the worst off individuals.

Most standard softeners have a 1" npt threaded connection that you can adapt or plumb to your plumbing.

Separate brine cabinet doesn't change anything about operation. Makes it easier to clean out if you use crappy dirty salt, but that's rare. Single cabinet units just take up less space.

Don't be too wrapped in max capacity, since almost nobody uses that when it's actually programed and is really inefficient with salt use at the highest settings.

That small unit mentioned is a water "conditioner"/ scale prevention device. These treat the water so minerals don't stick to plumbing, but they don't remove anything from the water.
I needed to replace my 30 yr. old salt softener last summer. My plumber said they don't install the salt types any longer and recommended a product called NaturalSof (they have a website). Anyway, it operates somewhat similar to a catalytic converter on a car in how it affects the water. I was skeptical since it's only about 15 inches long by 2 inches in diameter and installs directly run the main line. I went that route and it's been installed since then. I'm amazed because it actually works! No residue or rings in sinks or toilets, etc. Supposed to be effective for 10 years before replacement. You might check it out.
The NaturalSof water conditioner is interesting to me. Seems to be maintenance free. The only issue I'm having with my water is crazy mineral buildup on faucets and granite counter tops. I'm sure my appliances don't like it either. Culligan says my water is a level 10 hardness. We drink the water and I'd say it is an 8 out of 10 on the taste scale - not prefect, but certainly not bad with a couple ice cubes. The water is great for showering as well - soap lathers well and rinses off great.

Do you think this would be a good fit for me? What is the advantage of actually making the water soft over inhibiting it's ability to stick to stuff?

Thanks!

treillw

WKR
We use Water Boss because that’s what the hardware stocks. We go through one every 10 years or so, like every other planned obsolescence appliance built today. Easy to install and calibrate yourself. We have terrible well water in our area. I drill wells, among other things. The salt free rigs don’t work for water that actually needs softening.

To the heart guy: the salt doesn’t go in the water. If you’re getting salty water it’s time to repair or replace.
Could you please elaborate more on the salt free rigs (see my post above)? Thanks!

treillw

WKR
I'm interested in a similar answer to the original poster. I've got hard water, but only notice the issue with stains on fixtures and sinks/tubs. Water tastes fine. Neither my wife nor I enjoy showering in softened water, so would NaturalSof be more up our alley than a traditional salt system?
What did you decide on with this? If you read my above posts, it sounds like were in the same situation - our water tastes fine, showers are great, and our only concern is mineral buildup on appliances and granite.

Titan

WKR
I didn't have issues with showering in hard water, until I got used to soft water. Now I can't go back!

I really haven't seen hard evidence on the water conditioners (salt free) actually working. I guess the main bonus would be making your appliances last longer and no buildup on sinks, etc. That goes for either option.

wyosteve

WKR
Treillw- I didn't get my water tested for hardness before installing the NaturalSof. I can say my neighbor said he got rings on his toilet/sinks and installed the salt type so our water must be somewhat hard. I've not gotten any rings, etc. after 8 months use of the NarualSof for what that might be worth.

What did you decide on with this? If you read my above posts, it sounds like were in the same situation - our water tastes fine, showers are great, and our only concern is mineral buildup on appliances and granite.
Haven’t made any moves yet. You have anything figured out?