Whole house Water Softener Systems

N.ID7803

WKR
Alright there has to be someone here in the water softener business. I am looking to replace my current water softener and iron filter in my house. I've consulted Culligan and other companies, but its a little more than I would like to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good system that I can buy and install myself? Thanks in advance.

Titan

WKR
For sure do it yourself. Get a softener unit that has a separate brine tank. The all in one units will cost you more and I couldn't find one with 1" inlet/outlet to reduce flow restriction. You can pick them up on amazon. I found that local places all wanted to do a subscription type service. Fleck controllers are probably the most popular.

Not sure on just a single iron filter, but I went with a whole house multi stage Aquasana unit from Home Depot when they were on sale. I do think my softener had some sort of extra iron filter though.

I also threw an under sink RO system in the kitchen for drinking water and ice maker.

I have concerns about putting salt into my drainfield with these systems. How does it react with clay? What are the long term effects?

I’m in the same boat.

I was looking at the Amazon aquasure harmony. The reviews seem pretty decent. Couple videos online make it look pretty easy to DIY install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I needed to replace my 30 yr. old salt softener last summer. My plumber said they don't install the salt types any longer and recommended a product called NaturalSof (they have a website). Anyway, it operates somewhat similar to a catalytic converter on a car in how it affects the water. I was skeptical since it's only about 15 inches long by 2 inches in diameter and installs directly run the main line. I went that route and it's been installed since then. I'm amazed because it actually works! No residue or rings in sinks or toilets, etc. Supposed to be effective for 10 years before replacement. You might check it out.

Titan

WKR
Shouldn't be any issues with salt in the drainfield becuase it chemically reacts with the minerals on the resin beads. You would probably have issues if you were regenerating/backflushing too often. I guess salt water would just flow through. I have extremely hard water. No issues with septic or drain fields after 6 years. And I go through a lot of salt.

Some companies are calling those new versions and still calling them "softeners". They do not soften (remove the minerals). From what I understand is that it is a water "conditioner", where it causes those minerals to essentially not stick to the hard surfaces of your pipes, fixtures, etc.

Installing either is super easy. Just put the unit in-line before your run into the house. You can get those sharkbite flexible connectors or DIY the connection with whatever you already have. I just made my pex runs in and out without fittings to avoid as many hard 90*s as possible. Just make sure you don't soften the outside faucets on your home.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a softener and installed it myself in December. For two years I overanalyzed the decision and finally called a trusted friend who said "just go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the biggest they have". I did it, it was around $600 for a 42,000 grain system and it works great.

My advice is to not overthink this. It is tried and true simple technology.

I bought mine from US Water Systems and installed it myself. Very knowledgeable crew and top notch customer service. I’d recommend them highly.

mi650

WKR
Tag.

I don't want a whole house softener, I REALLY don't like showering with softened water, not to mention drinking it. We have a couple filtered pitchers for drinking water and like them just fine.

If I were to do anything, it would be just a system for the washer. It only takes a couple washes for whites to start getting dingy.

TaperPin

WKR
We have an entire mountain nearby with horrible water and every year I meet someone asking the same questions as you, and they have the same hesitations to spending big money for a reverse osmosis unit.

There isn’t an easy answer, but I know a number of people on that hill that bought the salt softener setups, and their water still stinks and tastes terrible.

I don’t know how close you are to good water, or if there are large water deliveries made to your neighbors, but you might at least look into a dual water system, with a large tank for good water for drinking, cooking and showers and use the crappy water for everything else. You might even tie a small reverse osmosis system into it to slowly refill the good water tank.

There isn‘t an easy answer, but it can be worth it to meet your neighbors to get an idea of how well the different options work.

The big companies that want to sell an entire system are usually overpriced compared to piecing it together yourself.

49ereric

WKR
We have @42,000 grain softener and high iron in the water.
iron filter takes out some iron but check on the ppm. Charcoal filter may be needed.
I gave up the iron filter and just have the softener.
we flush the softener frequently with Iron Out (@cup in a gallon of water and let it set for a day) or the softener media will plug up.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
First off, if you are older and want to protect your heart, I'd stay away from the salt softeners.

Few comments:

For all but really problem water, a softener from Amazon or a big box retailer works fine. You pay those dealers for service and expertise. For complicated water (lots of iron, sulphur, pH) often additional filters might be needed, or special softeners that can contain different media types. A dealer is a good reference in those situations. A standard softener can handle small amounts of iron, etc but as mentioned should be treated with extra cleaner occasionally.

The amount of salt added to your intake daily is roughly the same as eating a slice of wheat bread, so only truly a little concern for the worst off individuals.

Most standard softeners have a 1" npt threaded connection that you can adapt or plumb to your plumbing.

Separate brine cabinet doesn't change anything about operation. Makes it easier to clean out if you use crappy dirty salt, but that's rare. Single cabinet units just take up less space.

Don't be too wrapped in max capacity, since almost nobody uses that when it's actually programed and is really inefficient with salt use at the highest settings.

That small unit mentioned is a water "conditioner"/ scale prevention device. These treat the water so minerals don't stick to plumbing, but they don't remove anything from the water.

BadDogPSD

WKR
We got quotes from Culligan and another company called Pure. Both were around $6k for a whole house softener and RO system in the kitchen. Ouch. Dug a little deeper and found a local independent company that did the job for $2500.
This was about 10 years ago, so I'd expect prices to be higher now...

Just put in new Water boss from Menards . 2nd one, they have lasted a long time and worked well . I like on demand softening based on water useage vs nightly recharge

OP
N.ID7803

N.ID7803

WKR
Few comments:

For all but really problem water, a softener from Amazon or a big box retailer works fine. You pay those dealers for service and expertise. For complicated water (lots of iron, sulphur, pH) often additional filters might be needed, or special softeners that can contain different media types. A dealer is a good reference in those situations. A standard softener can handle small amounts of iron, etc but as mentioned should be treated with extra cleaner occasionally.

The amount of salt added to your intake daily is roughly the same as eating a slice of wheat bread, so only truly a little concern for the worst off individuals.

Most standard softeners have a 1" npt threaded connection that you can adapt or plumb to your plumbing.

Separate brine cabinet doesn't change anything about operation. Makes it easier to clean out if you use crappy dirty salt, but that's rare. Single cabinet units just take up less space.

Don't be too wrapped in max capacity, since almost nobody uses that when it's actually programed and is really inefficient with salt use at the highest settings.

That small unit mentioned is a water "conditioner"/ scale prevention device. These treat the water so minerals don't stick to plumbing, but they don't remove anything from the water.
Thanks for the feedback. Ive noticed some sites request a flow rate. I am on a private well with a constant pressure controller instead of pressure tank. I am having a hard time figuring out how to calculate the flow rate with the constant pressure system.
The system I had in before(Softener & Iron Filter) was nothing fancy and seemed to work well until it crapped out.

gbflyer

WKR
We use Water Boss because that’s what the hardware stocks. We go through one every 10 years or so, like every other planned obsolescence appliance built today. Easy to install and calibrate yourself. We have terrible well water in our area. I drill wells, among other things. The salt free rigs don’t work for water that actually needs softening.

To the heart guy: the salt doesn’t go in the water. If you’re getting salty water it’s time to repair or replace.

TxLite

WKR
I ordered the Fleck 5600sxt off of Amazon for $700 and did a DIY install about 5 years ago. It’s been great and our appliances have been happy. We get salt at Home Depot and top it off every couple months.

Attachments

• 6BC0B4B1-6691-438D-9849-98DE18853DA4.jpeg
    6BC0B4B1-6691-438D-9849-98DE18853DA4.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3BD7AFEE-132B-4699-852C-5DD357207A31.jpeg
    3BD7AFEE-132B-4699-852C-5DD357207A31.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 27

49ereric

WKR
The 42,000 grain is big but 60,000 for huge household.
bought mine on sale but didn’t need 42,000 for the wife and I.

Unless you have a massive house or showers with a bunch of heads, etc, most homes don't use more than 5 gpm at a time. Anything that can provide 8-10 gpm would be fine in almost all cases and just about everything out there meant for whole home use can do that or better. RO systems for sinks or something like that (point of use) is another story. There are estimators out there to see peak flow rate based on household size and number of fixtures if you really wanted to get into it.