Carbon fiber stocks - DIY tinkering

Mt Al

WKR
Thank you! And sorry if I come off as arrogant calling it low tech. The purpose of the thread was to show what can be done with relatively basic equipment, and with no prior skills or experience with resin and carbon fibers - but lots of patience, trying and failing... Especially carbon fiber skinning in a nice entrance into this game. Similar to other threads on this topic, this one hopefully might inspire some of out the starting blocks :)

I had to do some adjustments to the last stock after this hunting season, meaning I also have to re-do the finish. I'll try to post some pictures of the process as it progress.

Not arrogant at all and definitely inspiring. Jumping into carbon fiber often seems like a bridge too far but threads like this make it seem in the reach of more of us.

Really appreciate the time you took sharing the story, materials, process, etc..

Or for anyone else who has done this, you're more than welcome to chime in. I have experience with fibreglass and resin, and am just wondering how the cost to work with carbon compares.

OP
hpmr

hpmr

FNG
Bra gjort @hpmr , det ser flotte ut!

What did those projects end up costing you in the end?
Takk :)

As always, a project gets more expensive than first estimated… New project = justification to buy new tools. :cool:

The stocks however aren’t that expensive thou, and you’ll get a long way with hand tools. Material costs are; core material $50, carbon fiber cloth $30 (1sqm is enough for 1 stock), resin $35, paint(s) $30, (breather/peel ply/vacuum bag $25) + misc for bedding, sling studs/sockets and recoil pad. So somewhere between $150 and $200 will get you close to a finished stock. And of course, lots and lots of hours and elbow grease… 😅

OP
hpmr

hpmr

FNG
Or for anyone else who has done this, you're more than welcome to chime in. I have experience with fibreglass and resin, and am just wondering how the cost to work with carbon compares.
I recon it should be pretty comparable.

Takk :)

As always, a project gets more expensive than first estimated… New project = justification to buy new tools. :cool:
Ha! Always love a good reason to buy new tools! (As a mechanic I can always a come up with a "good" reason for new tools) LOL
The stocks however aren’t that expensive thou, and you’ll get a long way with hand tools. Material costs are; core material $50, carbon fiber cloth $30 (1sqm is enough for 1 stock), resin $35, paint(s) $30, (breather/peel ply/vacuum bag $25) + misc for bedding, sling studs/sockets and recoil pad. So somewhere between $150 and $200 will get you close to a finished stock. And of course, lots and lots of hours and elbow grease… 😅
Beauty, thanks! So $200 US is like.... $400 Canadian.. LOL. I might do a little looking around to see if I can find some deals or cheap suppliers up here.