Carrying A Handgun At 19?

I’m 19, and have been attempting to fill my fall bear tag locally. Yesterday I was out hunting, and didn’t realize until I was back at my car a mtn lion had been following me for some time. Once i turned on my rig the cat ran far right of me and stopped and I caught a good look at it.

Anyway my question is if my grandfather were to transfer me a handgun, could I open carry that while I’m hunting/fishing locally and into Idaho & montana. Since I can’t buy one from a dealer

Thanks.

z987k

WKR
Fraser v. ATF struck down banning 18-20 year olds from being able to buy a handgun from an FFL, since no other constitutionally protected right is limited past the age of majority.

That was in May. They put a stay on implementing that awaiting the appeal from the government. This is just to buy a handgun from an FFL.

You might find this useful also. Looks like MT, ID and WY are all 18.

Last edited:

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Mtn lions follow people all the time. Most of the time we just dont know it. Theyre cats it's what they do, they stalk things. Theyre not doing it to eat us. Theres way easier meals in their diet that they're familiar with. If you have a rifle you're already well prepared.

Its not a dumb idea. Its just not that practical.

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve run around in mountain lion country for over 3 decades and have some close run-ins with them. I’ve also had employees who’ve had close run-ins, including one who was followed in the dark at headlamp distance by a cat with a kitten for a mile and a half. Like was said above, they are just interested. And 999,999 out of a million that’s where it ends. I have never felt the need to carry a handgun for cats in addition to a rifle while hunting. But if you are really concerned or if you are in big bear country, bear spray would be a much easier and lighter option.