Choosing Binos for 3D Archery

royboyz

FNG
It's been a journey to get a set of binos to work well for 3D archery. I'm a rifle hunter but tend to hunt within 200 yards to don't use binos for that, mostly just scope. However the majority of my hunting is with a compound bow for multiple species but I'm close enough in tree stands to not need binos either. In the past year to practice more I've started entering into 3D archery events and that has sparked a need to have better binos.

I've had a set of Nikon 7s 8x42 binos for a couple years that worked lots well enough for my hunting needs until I started 3D events which often are deep in forested areas and trying to make out 11 or 12 rings on different coloured targets sometimes in shaded areas the 8x42 just wasn't cutting it.

Everyone seems to rave about Vortex and I really am happy with a Vortex 4000 HD rangefinder I have so decided to get a set a few weeks ago of Vortex Viper 10x42 (previous model 2018/19? year). As soon as I tried them at home on targets they seemed more difficult to focus easily on detail at 40 yards and I could swear not even as clear as my cheaper Nikon 7S set.

I went back to cabelas and thought Ok I should see if I need to get the Vortex Razor 10x42 set then. Brought my Viper 10x42 into to cabeals and did a back and forth comparison using a stuffed deer 50 yards away in the store and with my eyes I could not see a difference which I'm guessing must just be my eyes. I know indoor lighting isn't great to do this with but thought I'd see a difference and I couldn't no matter how hard I tried.

Came back home and read a bunch more threads here on rokslide and seemed to see a trend that many people on here like the Maven(?) which I'm not familiar with that brand at all or Leupold which I know very well from my scopes. So Decided to order a set of Leupold BX-4 10x42 Pro Guides to see if they will work better than the Vortex Vipers for looking at detail at 30-100 yards on 3D targets. I really hope they do becuase now I've spent a fair bit more than I was intending to.

Thanks to all the great reading on here there are some great opinions and comparisons that I think will help me be more satisfied with these when they show up in a few days. Thanks

OP
R

royboyz

FNG
An update to this the Vortex Viper 10x42 I mentioned above it's model VPR-4210_HD which I believe is the 2018/19 model.

Also one of my hunting buddies just got a set of Nikon M5 10x42 and when I did a side by side with the vortex viper 10x42 I could see just ever so slightly more detail with the M5's than the vipers. I'm hoping when the Leupold BX-4 10x42 pro guides arrive they are at least as nice as the Nikon M5's I compared.

Beendare

WKR
Those 10x pro guides are alright

You will get answers all over the map.
There are some very good mid range options….but to me, Its all about buying once…and that means $1,000 plus for good 10x binos

Personally my 3d binos are Zeiss Conquest HD 10×42.

I have used some of the higher powered, but I struggle to hold them steady enough to study rings. It's easier for me to use less magnification. I'm same way with a lense on a bow tho, I prefer a little lower magnification than most as the movement distracts me.

Depends on what you call 3d tho. My 3d is competition, not safari style where targets are past 50 yards. I know the targets I'm shooting, so usually it's not hunting to find rings as much as determining how far off a nock or spot I can see is from where I need to hit.

Vortex is pretty popular, not really betting a hunt on it, just a shoot. Usually not near as hard on optics, and the demands are different, not needing low light performance. If you mess them up, just bash them on a tree or drive over them and V will send you another pair.

I don't have personal experience with Maven, tho I wouldn't be scared of them.

I'm not really a fan of Leupold stuff anymore, everything I have owned with an L has failed on me, 4 items, I'm not buying a 5th.

4th_point

WKR
I don't shoot 3D but some have been using image stabilized SIG Zulu6. You can use one hand and still get a steady image.

I had the older non-HDX 16x42 and now use Canon but plan to try the new HDX when they become available locally.

SD_hunter

FNG
Maybe figure out what brand targets you are shooting and get one of these:

OP
R

royboyz

FNG
The Leupold BX-4 10x42's arrived today and they are far more clear than the Vortex Viper (2018 - VPR-4210_HD) 10x42 version I had were. Big advantage to the Leupold. Much easier to focus and right away noticeably clearer. Maybe I had a bad set of Vortex but I'm quite disappointed in their brand after that experience.

Those kinda suck. You can see the rings on some of the cards and the overlay isn't correct.

Plus, a lot if times you are trying to determine where you need to be in relation to an arrow that's already in the target.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Scope out the 8x32 (or 10x) Sig kilo 6k. Rangefinder built in and decent glass (I’d say better than viper HD. RF is awesome and for rifle someday they provide ballistics too.

Light weight and perfect for 3D IMO.

Beendare

WKR
I’ve used 12x and 15x binos …but at some point the extra magnification loses its utility when hand holding. Yeah you can brace them on your bow….and I do with my 10x.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So many times it's all about angles, little bits of shadow or sunlight pointing to a spot, a blade of grass or a weed that is my reference point, or just my buddy's fletching telling me where to aim. Those 15's are fantastic at picking up every little detail of that.

SD_hunter

FNG
The Leupold BX-4 10x42's arrived today and they are far more clear than the Vortex Viper (2018 - VPR-4210_HD) 10x42 version I had were. Big advantage to the Leupold. Much easier to focus and right away noticeably clearer. Maybe I had a bad set of Vortex but I'm quite disappointed in their brand after that experience.
Unfortunately with Vortex you are paying more for the warranty than a quality optic.

4th_point

WKR
I don't shoot 3D but some have been using image stabilized SIG Zulu6. You can use one hand and still get a steady image.

I had the older non-HDX 16x42 and now use Canon but plan to try the new HDX when they become available locally.
Paige Pearce posted about image stabilized binocs for archery a couple weeks ago. I think she's working with SIG now though.

Anyway, I think she is using non-IS 11x indoors and IS 16x outdoors. Not sure why she wouldn't use 16x indoors. Maybe that's part of the agreement with SIG.

The SIG units are much lighter than my 15x Canon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804-065340.png
    Screenshot_20230804-065340.png
    908.8 KB · Views: 4