Cleaning down bag

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I would like suggestions on how everyone cleans a Western Mountaineering down sleeping bag. If professional cleaning who do you recommend? If at home please elaborate. Thanks

OP

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. That helps a bunch. I just purchased a used Sequoia and wanted to clean before use.

Opiate

FNG
i washed my WM at home with down wash front loading washer and dryer
tumbled without heat takes awhile but it so fluffy now its ridiculous very easy to do

wildcat33

WKR
Ive used Graingers down wash on multiple bags and it works well. If you follow the directions on wash and dry temp, use the spiked balls that come in the down wash kit, you'll be in good shape.

I went literally years and years and years without washing my down, out of laziness of not wanting to send it away for cleaning and fear of screwing it up myself. Turns out its easy.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Washed both my down bags the other day. Ones a WM the other is an MH bag. Used the Grangers down care kit.

It also worked great on my stinky down jacket. Just make sure you follow the instructions and know what kind of washer you have.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Ive used Graingers down wash on multiple bags and it works well. If you follow the directions on wash and dry temp, use the spiked balls that come in the down wash kit, you'll be in good shape.

I went literally years and years and years without washing my down, out of laziness of not wanting to send it away for cleaning and fear of screwing it up myself. Turns out its easy.

I waited forever too. Heard lots of horror story. But it was so simple.

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
The WM Sequoia is a great bag! Washing a bag is definitely something you can do at home. I have a nice large laundry tub that works well or you can use a bathtub. I've had good luck with Nikwax Down Wash. Your local outdoor shop might have it or order at REI or other Retailers. A good hand wash is the way to go. Don't toss it in your washer. You risk blowing out the baffles on an expensive bag! I'd rinse it good. Probably 5 or 6 times just to make sure all the soap is out. The Sequoia is a pretty lofty bag. I would go to a laundromat for drying. Your home dryer probably isn't big enough and risk melting the nylon if you have a unknown hot spot. Again another costly mistake if it happens. Will take a few hours to dry even in a Commercial Dryer. Bring a few rolls of quarters and a good book while hanging out.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
The WM Sequoia is a great bag! Washing a bag is definitely something you can do at home. I have a nice large laundry tub that works well or you can use a bathtub. I've had good luck with Nikwax Down Wash. Your local outdoor shop might have it or order at REI or other Retailers. A good hand wash is the way to go. Don't toss it in your washer. You risk blowing out the baffles on an expensive bag! I'd rinse it good. Probably 5 or 6 times just to make sure all the soap is out. The Sequoia is a pretty lofty bag. I would go to a laundromat for drying. Your home dryer probably isn't big enough and risk melting the nylon if you have a unknown hot spot. Again another costly mistake if it happens. Will take a few hours to dry even in a Commercial Dryer. Bring a few rolls of quarters and a good book while hanging out.

I washed a down jacket in the Nikwax. It turned out fine but had a funky smell. Did you notice any smell?

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I've use the Nikwax down wash in a front loading washer. Threw a few tennis balls in the drier on low heat to break up clumps of down.

I used to wash my own goose down stuff, but heard Rainy Pass was good. I bagged and boxed my Sequoia GWS carefully and shipped it to RP. About 10 days later they called me and said they'd discovered a "clean" cut in the fabric of my bag (which was in flawless shape when I sent it). They blamed it on USPS. I inquired about the box I used and whether it had any cuts in it. They said the box was gone and no way to check it. Then they said they needed to repair it before it could be washed. I was frustrated but said okay...fix it. Then RP initiated the claim with USPS for damages. They settled it for $75 and kept half of it for patching my bag. So I ended up with a clean bag, obviously repaired, and a net loss of money.

Honestly I don't know who was at fault. Probably me for trusting anyone else to care for my $700 bag. I'll be washing my own down gear from now on. Period.

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
I used to wash my own goose down stuff, but heard Rainy Pass was good. I bagged and boxed my Sequoia GWS carefully and shipped it to RP. About 10 days later they called me and said they'd discovered a "clean" cut in the fabric of my bag (which was in flawless shape when I sent it). They blamed it on USPS. I inquired about the box I used and whether it had any cuts in it. They said the box was gone and no way to check it. Then they said they needed to repair it before it could be washed. I was frustrated but said okay...fix it. Then RP initiated the claim with USPS for damages. They settled it for $75 and kept half of it for patching my bag. So I ended up with a clean bag, obviously repaired, and a net loss of money.

Honestly I don't know who was at fault. Probably me for trusting anyone else to care for my $700 bag. I'll be washing my own down gear from now on. Period.
What a bummer! I have heard good things about Rainy Pass, but never tried using them. I guess I will stick to continuing to doing it myself.