Second season Colorado gear suggestions

cgill54

FNG
After stalking Rockslide and all the different forums I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get an account. Me and my hunting buddy have drawn a second season Colorado tag and are doing a backpack hunt for 6 days. I have looked at historical weather data for the area we are hunting and can't quite get a good idea on what weather will be like. I primarily archery hunt so hunting this late in the year brings a lot of questions about gear and weather. Mainly around boots and clothing. Are insulated boots a must? What weather can we expect? Any tips and gear suggestions are appreciated

enbhunts

FNG
Anywhere here in CO can have bad weather in 2nd rifle. Could also be north of 70 degrees sometimes. In 2020, a huge blizzard came through the area my brother was hunting and it dumped 3 ft in a day and a half.

So I'd say definitely be prepared.

Insulated boots really just come down to preference, IMO. I wear a full leather boot and I bring lightweight, midweight, and heavyweight wool socks to supplement, depending on the weather. I've also started bringing an extra pair of socks with me to change after hiking to a glassing area, helps keep feet warm.

Hope the hunt goes well

eamyrick

WKR
Tag. Drew second rifle up high also. Looking for tips and tricks in case it gets super cold. Considering bringing micro spikes and also a stove for my tent.

Dennis

WKR
I don't normally backpack hunt during rifle seasons, but can offer some insight on weather, gear and clothing.

You should expect weather depending on where you are hunting. Photo is last year second season Colorado and is not unusual, but it can be colder with more or less snow or maybe really warm and dry. The slopes down or up hill are probably too steep for snow shoes. They might work hiking a trail, but I haven't seen anyone using them hunting big game in Colorado. They might be great if your vehicle breaks down or snowed in and you have to walk out.

Your question on boots and clothing is a personnel question, but on a backpack hunt pick wisely. As others have said snow totals can vary a lot from a couple inches to several feet in one storm. Shelter and sleeping bag are the two most important items to wait out storms. Tents collapsing during snow storms and being cold in an un-tested sleeping bag is no fun and dangerous. Four season tent.

I usually take three pair of boots in the truck then decide what are the conditions when I arrive. Uninsulated leather boots if it is dry and warm and expected to stay that way. Insulated leather boots if it is cold and dry and expected to stay that way. If snow is on the ground I wear mountain pac-boots and would carry extra liners and wear gaiters backpacking.

I would do similar with clothing and dress to the conditions when I arrive. My system is both top and bottom base layer, two mid layers, insulated layer (puffy coat and pants) and outer soft-shell, but I take rain gear if it is real wet snow. I wear either Kuiu or Sitka gear. Add light gloves, down mittens and F/O hat, F/O beanie and a cold weather F/O beanie for long sits and around camp or while sleeping.

Good luck and have fun
IMG_3321.jpeg

If I were you I would plan two trips. The backpack trip you are thinking about right now, and the truck base camp hunt that you may end up doing instead. Either way plan for cold cold nights that get down into the teens and single digits.

Another thing. Depending on where you plan to do this, backpacking into the high country might be going in the opposite direction the Mule Deer are headed that time of year. Second season dates are still pretty late this year. Just something else to think about.

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
Anywhere here in CO can have bad weather in 2nd rifle. Could also be north of 70 degrees sometimes. In 2020, a huge blizzard came through the area my brother was hunting and it dumped 3 ft in a day and a half.

Insulated boots really just come down to preference, IMO. I wear a full leather boot and I bring lightweight, midweight, and heavyweight wool socks to supplement, depending on the weather. I've also started bringing an extra pair of socks with me to change after hiking to a glassing area, helps keep feet warm.

Hope the hunt goes well
Thanks for the info. Never thought of bringing a extra pair of socks to switch out when glassing. Definitely be using that this year. Think I might buy some insulated boots just incase and decide on which pair to wear when I get there. They will come in handy anyway as I plan to hunt the extended archery here in utah next year.

Everything nickofthewoods said is solid advice. I’ll add that whatever boots you decide to bring have gaiters to go with them. A nice tip as well is when you get to your glassing point or you’re going to be stopped for an extended period of time, unlace your boots. This will let your feet breathe and help dry any sweat and increase circulation to keep your feet warmer.

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
I don't normally backpack hunt during rifle seasons, but can offer some insight on weather, gear and clothing.

You should expect weather depending on where you are hunting. Photo is last year second season Colorado and is not unusual, but it can be colder with more or less snow or maybe really warm and dry. The slopes down or up hill are probably too steep for snow shoes. They might work hiking a trail, but I haven't seen anyone using them hunting big game in Colorado. They might be great if your vehicle breaks down or snowed in and you have to walk out.

Your question on boots and clothing is a personnel question, but on a backpack hunt pick wisely. As others have said snow totals can vary a lot from a couple inches to several feet in one storm. Shelter and sleeping bag are the two most important items to wait out storms. Tents collapsing during snow storms and being cold in an un-tested sleeping bag is no fun and dangerous. Four season tent.

I usually take three pair of boots in the truck then decide what are the conditions when I arrive. Uninsulated leather boots if it is dry and warm and expected to stay that way. Insulated leather boots if it is cold and dry and expected to stay that way. If snow is on the ground I wear mountain pac-boots and would carry extra liners and wear gaiters backpacking.

I would do similar with clothing and dress to the conditions when I arrive. My system is both top and bottom base layer, two mid layers, insulated layer (puffy coat and pants) and outer soft-shell, but I take rain gear if it is real wet snow. I wear either Kuiu or Sitka gear. Add light gloves, down mittens and F/O hat, F/O beanie and a cold weather F/O beanie for long sits and around camp or while sleeping.

Good luck and have fun
View attachment 565870
Appreciate the advise. I bought a Argali 4p tipi and a seek outside medium stove for this hunt. Also going to be adding some sitka and kuiu cold weather gear. I have Kuiu and Sitka warm weather gear and love those 2 companies so ill buy whatever cold weather gear I can get on sale from either. Ill definitely buy some insulated boots. Probably kenetrek or hanwag. If I need any of it then ill have it but if I don't then I will have all the gear to hunt the extended archery next year in Utah. My sleep system is pretty dialed for the cold weather. On my Utah LE elk tag in 2019 had a storm roll through and dump 6 inches of snow where I was hunting and I was staying in a cheap Coleman summer tent and I stayed warm all night!

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
Everything nickofthewoods said is solid advice. I’ll add that whatever boots you decide to bring have gaiters to go with them. A nice tip as well is when you get to your glassing point or you’re going to be stopped for an extended period of time, unlace your boots. This will let your feet breathe and help dry any sweat and increase circulation to keep your feet warmer.
Thanks for the tip. My first post on Rokslide is producing a wealth of information. Most of which I never thought of. Ill definitely be using that this year. As far as gaiters go do you have any companies that you would recommend?

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
If I were you I would plan two trips. The backpack trip you are thinking about right now, and the truck base camp hunt that you may end up doing instead. Either way plan for cold cold nights that get down into the teens and single digits.

Another thing. Depending on where you plan to do this, backpacking into the high country might be going in the opposite direction the Mule Deer are headed that time of year. Second season dates are still pretty late this year. Just something else to think about.
The area we will be hunting we are planning on starting at trail heads low in elevation and going high at first. Then hunting our way back to the truck and dropping elevation. We will just keep moving until we find what elevation they are hanging out in. Thanks for the advise, we will bring some truck camping gear incase it doesn't work out to where we can backpack in.

rayporter

WKR
gaiters help keep feet warm and dry.

keeping gear at the truck is a good idea. if you are shuttling meat you may reach the truck late and decide to spend the night. also have gear to get the truck out if it snows. shovel, chains, tow strap, etc.

that last weather report before you leave the truck is golden.

kuiu yukon gaiters

Everybody feet are a little different, I use my non insulated boots all season no matter the temperature. The only thing that changes is what weight sock I'm wearing over my sock liners. If it's going to be super cold I'll have a set of boot blankets in my pack that I'll throw on when glassing.

Thanks for the tip. My first post on Rokslide is producing a wealth of information. Most of which I never thought of. Ill definitely be using that this year. As far as gaiters go do you have any companies that you would recommend?
I’ve been using a pair of outdoor vision gaiters for the last 5 or so seasons and really like them. The ones I have are discontinued but the new model looks even better than my current ones

Rich M

WKR
As to your boot question - someone answered it best with bringing 3 types. If you can't do that - 400 or 600 gr insulated boots and a medium or heavy pair of wool socks in your bag. Gaiters - a big yes.

We did CO in early Nov 2019 and had an arctic blast come thru, couldn't feel the heat from a propane buddy heater in an 8x10 canvas tent. The cold weather lasted about 2 days.

Was in WY in 2017 and we were hunting in the rain - "buddy" left me all day on what was supposed to be just a couple-hour hunt. Got soaked, hypothermia, you know the drill. Started a tiny little fire like you could keep in a coffee cup and wrapped a nylon 5x7 tarp around me with the top open off to the side so smoke could escape. 15-20 minutes or so later I was toasty warm and importantly dry.

Also carry socks and some layering clothes when hunting cold weather, socks and dry shirt in hot weather. Comfort is key.

pucmw11

FNG
After stalking Rockslide and all the different forums I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get an account. Me and my hunting buddy have drawn a second season Colorado tag and are doing a backpack hunt for 6 days. I have looked at historical weather data for the area we are hunting and can't quite get a good idea on what weather will be like. I primarily archery hunt so hunting this late in the year brings a lot of questions about gear and weather. Mainly around boots and clothing. Are insulated boots a must? What weather can we expect? Any tips and gear suggestions are appreciated
I had second season last year and hunted it relatively low at 8500-9500 ft. Started at about 45 degrees and plummeted to about 15 at night the first day. Snowed on me during days 2 and 3 and then stayed overcast at about 20 degrees, then dropped the last day to 7 degrees that morning and only got up to 12. Plan for winter and hope you get lucky and it's warmer!

I only came in with a 20 degree bag and froze my butt off while sleeping in full hunting gear and an insulated hunting jacket. I'll not hunt 2nd or 3rd rifle in Colorado again without a zero-degree bag. If I'd not upgraded to an R7 sleeping pad...probably wouldn't have gone well. I wore non-insulated hiking boots with darn tough full cushion hunting socks and that was just barely enough to sit idle at that temperature. YMMV and Colorado weather is nuts...heck, you may see 50's and sunshine.

Glassing can get cold when sitting idle for a few hours. Plan to bring more layers than you think you need.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you have the knowledge to light a fire in snowy conditions. It’s pretty easy to dry out most of your other gear by putting it in your sleeping bag. Boots are a different story. Few years ago I had some wet boots that froze overnight and it was quite painful wearing them until it warmed up

Great advice here.. Ourdoor Research Crocodile gaiters are awesome too... That time of the year is totally unpredictable.. I've started the day with temps in the 40-50 degree range an no clouds.. Ended the day with 15 degrees, wind howling and 8-10" of snow on the ground... Take everything you got and be ready to swap out at any time.. Just remember the secret is to take what ever you need to stay dry (both from internal and external moisture).. This is especially true for boots/feet.. I wouldn't think about going without gaiters.. For the added weight they are a must have in my opinion.. Good gaiters make up for marginal boots every time with minimal weight.. If moving travel as lightly as possible and be ready to slip on the warmer/dry thing when you stop.. Also, It's easier to stay comfortably warn thn it is to warm up after you get really cold..

pucmw11

FNG
Great advice here.. Ourdoor Research Crocodile gaiters are awesome too... That time of the year is totally unpredictable.. I've started the day with temps in the 40-50 degree range an no clouds.. Ended the day with 15 degrees, wind howling and 8-10" of snow on the ground... Take everything you got and be ready to swap out at any time.. Just remember the secret is to take what ever you need to stay dry (both from internal and external moisture).. This is especially true for boots/feet.. I wouldn't think about going without gaiters.. For the added weight they are a must have in my opinion.. Good gaiters make up for marginal boots every time with minimal weight.. If moving travel as lightly as possible and be ready to slip on the warmer/dry thing when you stop.. Also, It's easier to stay comfortably warn thn it is to warm up after you get really cold..
Second this ^^ I have the OR gaiters and the Sitka ones depending on need. For the scrub brush, snow, mud, extra waterproofing, extra warmth....plenty of awesome reasons to use them and they aren't even noticeable when wearing them all day.

I got caught in this storm; it was a pivotal moment in my hunting adventures.

The temps absolutely bottomed out, along with the feet of snow - and it was not in the forecast the days leading up to the season.
The experience went from hunting to survival real fast, to leaving the hunt early. It was brutal.

After the snow stopped falling the temps went below 0.
The creeks froze over, rendering my water filter system useless.
I did not have a white gas stove at the time for melting snow, and the jetboil style canisters simply could not handle the below 0 temps. Even with stashing it in my sleeping bag, and against my body, I could not get it warmed enough to create solid pressure.

I put on the pac boots and walked up and down the hill all morning simply to warm myself.
Then I packed up everything and got the hell out.

I was 9mi in on foot, surrounded by outfitter camps with horses. hah... never again
Now I own a tipi w/ a wood stove.

Link to camp pics from that 2nd season