CO Mosquitos

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on going to CO in Sept for the first time and wondering what mosquitos are like that time of year? Typically a whitetail hunter and use a thermacell in the tree saddle. Wasn’t sure if it would be worth having in the pack or if it’s a waste.

It's all going to depend on weather and location. We were there early October last year and had zero issues. As dry as it's predicted to be this year, that's likely to be a repeat.

I would take the Thermacell, just in case. On a September bear hunt in WI a few years ago with my dad, we would have been sucked dry without it.

I spent probably 60 days out last year from July-Oct (have a cabin at 9500’). I can count on about three weekends we had them and they were annoying. But nothing like anything on the east coast I’ve experienced.

I’d just have some spray in case. They won’t be too bad.

I went last last year archery season SW of Steamboat and never had a one.
Cool nights in 20’s and days up to 80’s. Got some good rain.

It’s tough hunting.

They've never been a problem for me in September where I hunt in Colorado. I've been in the same area scouting in July-August and they're thick enough to about drive me off the mountain. Sometime around mid-August they must die off or get driven to lower elevation.

I live next to and hunt Grand Mesa, it’s one of the absolute worst spots for mosquitos in Colorado. You don’t need to worry about them in September, cooler nightime temperatures have taken carE of them.

In three years hunting mid to late September in Colorado between 8000-11000’, I’ve seen zero ticks and zero mosquitos.

…seen a lot of mice some years.

I’ve only had a bad experience with them one time. Hunted 2nd week of September near Montrose in a VERY popular unit and got absolutely crushed by them. Haven’t had it happen anywhere else though, so not sure why that was.

Planning on going to CO in Sept for the first time and wondering what mosquitos are like that time of year? Typically a whitetail hunter and use a thermacell in the tree saddle. Wasn’t sure if it would be worth having in the pack or if it’s a waste.

I wanna see your pack list…

I spent probably 60 days out last year from July-Oct (have a cabin at 9500’). I can count on about three weekends we had them and they were annoying. But nothing like anything on the east coast I’ve experienced.

I’d just have some spray in case. They won’t be too bad.
It can be hit or miss but when it’s a hit they’re miserable. I made a scouting trip a few years ago to hang cameras in June. One nighter. I came home looking like I had chickenpox. Hundreds of mosquito bites. I hid in my tent all evening and they were swarming me.

Last year we hunted mid Sept Muzzleloader Season. Our camp was at 10,000' and we would hike up from there. We had read that the mosquitos were pretty thick in the area; however, the only time we saw them was right at dusk. It didn't last long bc the temps would drop pretty quickly and they'd be gone. We did bring a small bottle of bug spray. Well worth the 4 oz it added to the pack.

Hot tip: check out Alltrails website. It is a hiking resource. If you're hunting near a trail then there is usually someone on there who has written a review about it. They don't ever talk about seeing a 350" elk; however, they'll give you insight on things like mosquitos, trail conditions, etc. Decent intel and worth the digging.

20-30 degree nights in Sept have always taken care of the mosquitos...have never had an issue with them.

I wanna see your pack list…
Not much to it honestly, First aid kit, puffy, rain gear, soft shell vest, kill kit, stove, food, lights, trekkers, squeeze filter, few misc things I am sure I forgot but that's about it minus food and water. Debating adding a tripod but trying to keep it pretty minimal and sleep in the truck.

No mosquito problems in September but I am always over 9400 feet. Gets cooler at night. I have had a year or two where some dang horseflies bit like the devil mid afternoon.

It all depends on the water.

If you look at my profile picture it's an area near Walden known as the Rahwah Wilderness. As you can see, there's plenty of water there. The photo was taken in late August and the mosquitoes were brutal. Then again that area is known for them.

In the area I hunt, Rifle 1 October? Even on a warm day bugs aren't a problem. I don't think I've had a single bite and that's with no spray or other special measures. But remember that by then, despite some 70+ warm days, you'll regularly get <30 on some overnights. Add in the 9500'+ altitude and they're generally gone by then.

Hunt a wetter area or hunt earlier and YMMV.

Back