CO OTC- going away?

Drenalin

WKR
Amazing. I can click directly from the "we need to run off NRs" thread to the threads where Colorado residents and residents from other western states are begging for my help in the form of money and support to fight antihunters on commissions and mountain lion hunting bans.
I bet once the antis get their mountain lion ban, they'll be happy and stop there. And whatever species you hunt in whatever place by whatever method of take will then remain perfectly safe.

Wellsdw

WKR
It was a cool revenue generation tool for CPW for the last few years, but didn't take a rocket scientist to have seen the writing on the wall. Anyone think there are going to be NR OTC tags anywhere out west 20 years from now for deer, elk or antelope?
Maybe cow/doe otc

cnelk

WKR
Archery OTC Elk has been recommended to go away by CPW staff.

At the last Commission meeting the commissioners publicly stated they supported the staff recommendations prior to the public comment session.

There will be more public comments at the April 5 meeting in hopes to save OTC Archery elk for residents.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
For archery yes. But apparently they want a full swarm of the pumpkin army.

Rumor has it that if they smell an archery hunter they’ll stop breeding and head for private, but the barrage of gunshots don’t bother them!

There is two points you’re missing.

1) the percentage in growth of rifle vs archery hunting OTC isn’t close. Keep hammerin

2) there are far more general recreational users in September.

sndmn11

WKR
There is two points you’re missing.

1) the percentage in growth of rifle vs archery hunting OTC isn’t close. Keep hammerin

2) there are far more general recreational users in September.

I think another big factor, perhaps the biggest, is the loud voice CBA and archery hunters have been about how crowded it is and not seeing animals. The recommendations seem to be an appeasement response to the lobbying, including the ask for an early archery deer.

There's no CRA telling CPW things are crowded and unenjoyable, and if one believes in the "North American Model" of management, then hunters need to kill X amount per year. Rifle season is where that culling takes place in my mind.

I think another big factor, perhaps the biggest, is the loud voice CBA and archery hunters have been about how crowded it is and not seeing animals. The recommendations seem to be an appeasement response to the lobbying, including the ask for an early archery deer.

There's no CRA telling CPW things are crowded and unenjoyable, and if one believes in the "North American Model" of management, then hunters need to kill X amount per year. Rifle season is where that culling takes place in my mind.
IMO its probably the straw argument back to conception rates. When they took the southwest and turned it in draw it was all about pressure and conception rates thus contributing to poor recruitment.

They haven't significantly lowered tag numbers in those units and they typically have left overs.

On the outside it looks like huge change, on the inside its status quo. will be left over tags in all those units.

CO hunting is in the hands of a few urban counties. Good luck.

Hnthrdr

WKR
IMO its probably the straw argument back to conception rates. When they took the southwest and turned it in draw it was all about pressure and conception rates thus contributing to poor recruitment.

They haven't significantly lowered tag numbers in those units and they typically have left overs.

On the outside it looks like huge change, on the inside its status quo. will be left over tags in all those units.

CO hunting is in the hands of a few urban counties. Good luck.
It has been some years since the SW went draw, wonder if they have any data down there with recruitment yet

I haven't listened to the podcast yet. I saw it but didn't feel like being pissed off at the CPW today...

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago regarding my opinions of their proposals.

I'm sure the tags going to limited will still be abundant, but I am categorically opposed to losing OTC archery for residents.

Amazing. I can click directly from the "we need to run off NRs" thread to the threads where Colorado residents and residents from other western states are begging for my help in the form of money and support to fight antihunters on commissions and mountain lion hunting bans.
Which thread type is this one?