Colder weather boots

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
What’s everyone’s preference for cooler weather boots? I’ve been using crispis for everything from whitetails to mule deer out west but looking to buy some muck boots or something similar when it does get cold . For context I whitetail hunt mainly in GA. When it’s “cold” it’s in the 20-40s.

Macintosh

WKR
Are you stand hunting or generally moving? How wet is it, ie mandatory stream crossings, big swamps, etc? How far are you generally hiking on a hunt? I dont know Ga mountains, but if they're anything like the mountains at the other end of the Appalachians, that info could help steer toward the best options for you.
You mentioned muck type boots. I wear rubber knee boots a lot because I end up in swamps much of the time…seems like there’s always a hell hole of a swamp at the bottom of every mountain ridge around here, so I consider them essential. but most of them absolutely suck on steeper terrain. I’d avoid a rubber boot if you are covering a lot of ground on steep terrain and dont really need the waterproofness. Something like a sorel or schnees pac boot with a lighter liner that laces snug will be as warm and do better on steeper stuff.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I put on a better pair of socks. Mostly run uninsulated pronghorns or 400 gr pronghorn knock-offs. A pair of sox like the Cabelas Ultimax will go a long ways in the cold.

I used to hunt up in the mountains NW corner of the state and can respect the climb.

rcb2000

WKR
if your stand hunting the artic shield boot blankets work wonders. Ive done the same with my crispi nevadas in some 20+degree weather with a hand warmer and been totally fine
This is the only thing I’ve ever found to work when sitting in a stand in sub freezing temperatures.

I have 800 gram insulated boots, thick wool socks, and enough air space in the boot,, but still will get cold feet after an hour or two.

I can wear un insulated lacrosse boots in, and then but Arctic shield covers on once I’m set up and literally sit all day with warm feet.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
if your stand hunting the artic shield boot blankets work wonders. Ive done the same with my crispi nevadas in some 20+degree weather with a hand warmer and been totally fine
This is the way for stand hunting. -40 rubber pack boots, boot blankets with a few handwarmers, and I've been too warm at zero F.

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I
Are you stand hunting or generally moving? How wet is it, ie mandatory stream crossings, big swamps, etc? How far are you generally hiking on a hunt? I dont know Ga mountains, but if they're anything like the mountains at the other end of the Appalachians, that info could help steer toward the best options for you.
You mentioned muck type boots. I wear rubber knee boots a lot because I end up in swamps much of the time…seems like there’s always a hell hole of a swamp at the bottom of every mountain ridge around here, so I consider them essential. but most of them absolutely suck on steeper terrain. I’d avoid a rubber boot if you are covering a lot of ground on steep terrain and dont really need the waterproofness. Something like a sorel or schnees pac boot with a lighter liner that laces snug will be as warm and do better on steeper stuff.
lll check out the schness. Thanks for the info!

Pac boots will be your best bet. I hunt Minnesota winters and it gets cold. The insulation will do you solid but if you're sweating a ton on your way in, you're going to have trouble no matter what. I'd think about looking at some battery-powered heated socks as well.

Jimss

WKR
I wear uninsulated boots all winter long here in Colo but I'm super active. I have a taller pair of sorels that I can wear when it's cold if I'm just sitting around and there is deep snow. I've also had good luck with Lowa Tibets that are a little taller and all leather for snow and cold. I generally buy my boots one size larger. That way I can add padded insoles. I loosen the laces when wearing heavier socks and cinch them down when wearing lighter socks.

The worse thing you can do is sweat when hiking into a spot to sit down for hours. You will likely be wet, cold, and miserable. Everyone is a little different so figure out what socks and boots work for you. I have quite a few to choose from depending upon the situation.

TexasTom

FNG
Arctic shield boot blankets on a 20 degree east TX morning is my only hope for warm feet.

Attachments

• IMG_9777.jpeg
    IMG_9777.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 14