Colorado 501 or 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB86

FNG
Going to try to burn points this year in Colorado for archery. Looking at 501 or 66. 501 looks really good on paper. Any opinions

I’m sorry guys. I was wrong. It’s not 66 it’s between 67 and 501. Better odds for 501. I only have 3 points. But I don’t want to hunt 78 anymore and you have to draw 78 now anyway

501 is harder to draw archery than either 66 or 67, for residents. Point being I’ve found that residents often know the units better than nonresidents, not the other way around. All 3 of those units are very physically challenging archery hunts so you’ll need to be in really good shape for any of them. 501 has the larger bulls by far, but the elk aren’t quite as stupid since 501 gets a lot more pressure from humans throughout the year.

501 is harder to draw archery than either 66 or 67, for residents. Point being I’ve found that residents often know the units better than nonresidents, not the other way around. All 3 of those units are very physically challenging archery hunts so you’ll need to be in really good shape for any of them. 501 has the larger bulls by far, but the elk aren’t quite as stupid since 501 gets a lot more pressure from humans throughout the year.
Yea for non resident 501 is 56% odds. 66 is 20%.. I am not worried about getting deep in the backcountry. Been having to do that to get away in 78. I am just trying to find a unit where the bulls will want to talk more. Not really after a huge bull although thats definitely a plus. I just want to get into a unit where bulls are more apt to respond to calls. I know kinda tough with only 3 points.

Bulls tend to be more vocal in draw units from my experience. The HUNTING pressure in OTC versus draw unit is substantial. When you find the elk in a draw unit they are more inclined to say HI back to you. Assuming you don't sound like flipper.

Pick a unit and go with it. If you draw you go hunt! If not you try again next year.

I got your message earlier. thanks for the info. It did clear things up

Bulls tend to be more vocal in draw units from my experience. The HUNTING pressure in OTC versus draw unit is substantial. When you find the elk in a draw unit they are more inclined to say HI back to you. Assuming you don't sound like flipper.

Pick a unit and go with it. If you draw you go hunt! If not you try again next year.
3C3E9053-DE59-4D86-9E73-DB9CFC31763A.jpeg

Same boat, with 3 points. CO native, 25 yrs active Army, finally stationed at Carson. OTC hustle for the last 3 years. Batting .500, one rifle harvest, one bow in the last 4 years and want to cash in my 3 PPs for archery '22. Super interested in the analysis and why for anyone with 3 PP. 66, 20, 500, 501, 69 are my top 5 listed in order.

I would love to link up with anyone who has 3 PP and puts in for one of the likely GMUs stated above and share stories over the next year offline.

My strategy is OTC for 3 years then put in for a LL. & repeat- avoid the no man's land and point creep.

references: CO hunt planner hotline, Draw Out report 2020-2022, Go Hunt stats

Last edited:
Going to try to burn points this year in Colorado for archery. Looking at 501 or 66. 501 looks really good on paper. Any opinions
I'm going through the same point thought process! Drew NM last year ib 34 for archery and trying to draw NM again for low odds units. If I don't draw then 4 points is pointing me to 67 or 501 also.

Sounds like we’re on the same wavelength. I hope to alternate btwn WY and NM on my CO OTC years. Good luck to you in the LL draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put in for 501 archery elk this year. Any specific part of the unit to focus on for E scouting? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Put in for 501 archery elk this year. Any specific part of the unit to focus on for E scouting? Any help would be greatly appreciated
I'll be in there for muzzleloader this year, PM me (I think my PM's are locked for 7 days or 10 posts though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back