renting a handgun Colorado

pugwylde

FNG
You don’t need one. Just extra weight to carry. If your scared of bears just get a bear tag which will guarantee you won’t see a bear ha
Same applies to the other four legged varieties. I'm creeping up on as many days in field chasing wolves as I have elk, with nothing to show for it except more days in field 😁

Same applies to the other four legged varieties. I'm creeping up on as many days in field chasing wolves as I have elk, with nothing to show for it except more days in field 😁
Yea having lived all my life in Colorado there is no 4 legged creature you have to fear. Lions and black bears won’t mess with you. You should be more worried about the drive to the trailhead. Thats where your more likely to get hurt.

LostArra

WKR
A nuisance? My G20 is my every day carry, and while hunting I hardly even recognize that it's there. Kind of similar to my day pack, after a day or two it just becomes part of me.
Yep. I don't carry every day or pretty much any day although I've got the permit.

To have a handgun readily accessible while wearing my hunting pack it needed to be on the waist belt and it was just cluttering things up. I survived Colorado that season with the pistol at camp. (I don't carry it in Wyoming either.)

Lol, if someone says it's a nuisance, then it's a nuisance. If someone else doesn't say it's a nuisance, then it's not a nuisance. I stopped carrying one in archery or rifle season. In 30 years it is shown to be extra baggage.

Hey, my neighbor is really pissing me off and I need to withdraw more money from the bank than I have in there, so I was wondering if I could rent one of your larger pistols? 😂

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Here's how I think of it. My handgun is like my seat belt. Probably won't need it but someday I might REALLY need it. So I usually have a smaller one in the backcountry (so I'll actually carry it all day long). I get the idea of playing the odds over time. I live in Alaska and have had bear encounters in place/times I would not expect to.
Now if I suddenly had to drive for a day with no seat belt to get to my favorite hunt would I? Yes, odds are I'll be fine. Same with handguns. I'm not going to let the lack of a handgun ruin my enjoyment of a hunt. Go enjoy that hunt.

tdhanses

WKR
As many hunters as there are in Colorado, does anyone even ever have run ins? I second the comment about carrying spray... Much safer than an unfamiliar pistol.

I'll be honest, I've been carrying for years and have had exactly zero occasions to need it. Any other item in my pack would have been left at home with that track record.
Of course there are run in’s every year you just don’t hear about them. We only hear about the campers pulled out of tents or issues in highly populated areas, otherwise you don’t hear about the guys that shot a mountain lion or bear while hunting that weren’t hurt.

Only reason I say that is a guy shot a mountain lion where I hunt maybe 6 years ago, warden came out and investigated and nothing was ever in the local paper or news about it.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Don’t carry my Glock in Colorado, Wyoming is a whole different story.
And I’m watching the Revenant while I’m typing this!

Beendare

WKR
I would be shocked if you can find an outfit to rent you a pistol for a hunt in Co.

They rent at shooting ranges as a try to buy…but letting a Canadian walk out with a pistol they would probably get a nasty call from Trudeau himself And you will get back in the country to find your bank account frozen- grin

Better elk hunting in Canada than Co…I’m curious, why bother?

pugwylde

FNG
Of course there are run in’s every year you just don’t hear about them. We only hear about the campers pulled out of tents or issues in highly populated areas, otherwise you don’t hear about the guys that shot a mountain lion or bear while hunting that weren’t hurt.

Only reason I say that is a guy shot a mountain lion where I hunt maybe 6 years ago, warden came out and investigated and nothing was ever in the local paper or news about it.
Even here, though, I feel like I rarely read about elk hunting trips that turned into a wolf hunt. And I've read exactly zero first hand encounters where a sidearm was the difference between getting eaten or not.

Honestly, I carry less for the four legged, and more for the two legged variety. Definitely a time or two, you come across a minivan on a road your truck barely has any business on and leaves you wondering what they are growing on that hillside, and what they might do to keep you from finding out.

WKR
Few years back two guys were bowhunting where I hunt bears. They were in thick oak brush calling elk during archery. One guy starts screaming, other guy runs over, bear has first guy in his jaws. Second guy pulls 44 mag and kills the sow. First guys forearm is busted from the attack. So it can happen.

As a local, I do tend to carry a Glock for various reasons. But coming from Canada and wanting to keep legal, I'd just buy or rent a can of spray. I do think that is a good idea, but may not need it 2 lifetimes. Or may need it tomorrow.

OP
M

martie88

FNG
I would be shocked if you can find an outfit to rent you a pistol for a hunt in Co.

They rent at shooting ranges as a try to buy…but letting a Canadian walk out with a pistol they would probably get a nasty call from Trudeau himself And you will get back in the country to find your bank account frozen- grin

Better elk hunting in Canada than Co…I’m curious, why bother?
To the 2 guys asking why I didn't choose to hunt in canada this year. I am from southern Ontario so we only have a very small elk population in ontario and tags are not easy to get. once in a lifetime thing and property to hunt them on is even harder. Yes I could go to British Columbia but as a non resident of b.c. you must have a guide or know someone to sponsor you for that hunt. Also it's closer. It takes me 20-24 hours just to drive to the other side of ontario where we moose hunt. Would be about 40hrs to b.c. only 21 hrs to Colorado

Appreciate the replays from everyone definatly wasn't a must just thought if it was easy I would rent one. I will definitely make it without.

Even here, though, I feel like I rarely read about elk hunting trips that turned into a wolf hunt. And I've read exactly zero first hand encounters where a sidearm was the difference between getting eaten or not.

Honestly, I carry less for the four legged, and more for the two legged variety. Definitely a time or two, you come across a minivan on a road your truck barely has any business on and leaves you wondering what they are growing on that hillside, and what they might do to keep you from finding out.