renting a handgun Colorado

martie88

FNG
Wondering if anyone has any experience renting a handgun in Colorado. we are going in September for archery and wondering if it is possible to rent some just for safety.

OP
M

martie88

FNG
I would just buy one but the problem is I'm in canada and it's a big hassle to cross the border with one.

Ah gotcha, well to be honest. Co is pretty safe from the 4 legged critter perspective. Only cougars and black bears, most of which will turn tail pretty quick…

Don't forget our newly imported "friends."

My neighbor was hiking and had one cross the road at about fifty yards while another howled nearby. He felt sketchy but didn't get eaten.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget our newly imported "friends."

My neighbor was hiking and had one cross the road at about fifty yards while another howled nearby. He felt sketchy but didn't get eaten.
I think I’m still just gonna take my chances, guns are heavy.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hardly ever carry my pistol archery hunting in Colorado. I’ve seen plenty of bears. All but one have turned and ran. I had a big ass boar sit there and look at me like what are you going to do about it. I didn’t even have a bow, I was guiding my wife. I took her bow and nocked an arrow, better than nothing. I walked toward him and he decided I wasn’t worth it. About 100 yards farther down the ridge I called in a bull to 20 steps but he never cleared the brush.

pugwylde

FNG
As many hunters as there are in Colorado, does anyone even ever have run ins? I second the comment about carrying spray... Much safer than an unfamiliar pistol.

I'll be honest, I've been carrying for years and have had exactly zero occasions to need it. Any other item in my pack would have been left at home with that track record.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
As many hunters as there are in Colorado, does anyone even ever have run ins? I second the comment about carrying spray... Much safer than an unfamiliar pistol.

I'll be honest, I've been carrying for years and have had exactly zero occasions to need it. Any other item in my pack would have been left at home with that track record.
2 years ago I had a sow with a cub walk up on me while I was taking a nap.
Jumped up, yelled “hey bear”
Sow ran down the drainage, cub ran up a tree.
Last year I was attempting to hunt bear and one ran into like 30 yards in some thick chit and before I could verify it didn’t have Cubs, it turned and ran. 🤷‍♂️
BBBFCFEC-8F36-4359-A66A-CB67FCBB5532.jpeg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black bears be like that. Anyone afraid of black bears ought to go sit in a stand and just watch them... They are cool as hell, and spook like a dog caught in the pantry.
I know someone that was attacked and killed by a black bear.

Not something I worry about even now but they aren't all the same and should not be underestimated.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

pugwylde

FNG
I know someone that was attacked and killed by a black bear.

Not something I worry about even now but they aren't all the same and should not be underestimated.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Not trying to diminish the fact they are wild animals, but the fear of them greatly outsizes the reality. Getting in a car is way more likely to kill you than a wild animal during hunting season.

I would just buy one but the problem is I'm in canada and it's a big hassle to cross the border with one.
Do you have a lot of experience shooting and handling handguns? If not, you are 10 times more likely to harm yourself or someone else with an unfamiliar pistol than to have any issues with predators. Buy some bear spray.

I'm not picking on you, I think 90% of people carrying pistols while hunting couldn't use them effectively and would be much better off with spray.