Colorado Sells More Nonresident Elk Tags than all Seven Western States Combined

Weldor

WKR
No suprise there. I am sure the otc tags really help. Draw states and NR restrictions in other states. We have 10% cap down here and of course have no where near the amount of Elk. When I was younger we went quite a fews times because we could not draw in our on state and you buy over the counter in Colorado.

Jethro

WKR
I didn't read the article, only looked at the data box. Data is off. 5400 WY NR elk licenses? 34% to NR in NM? Not right.

KHNC

WKR
Especially since NM limits NR to 10% of the total tags, and only 4% of those go to unguided hunters.

KsRancher

WKR
That is what I really like about numbers. They never lie. But they can't be manipulated to fit any narrative.

I could write an article with a headline "Co residents dont want more elk tags" and post a graph with several units with NR caps where not enough residents thought it "wasn't worth the points" so NR got a bigger percentage than the original percentage.

Now would I agree colorado needs to do a little more for the residents. Yes, and they are doing that. They already have a cap change coming up for NR.

taskswap

WKR
1697724835578.png

It also has more than double the herd size of any other state, and more than the bottom 5 combined. If you normalize the tag sales against this, it doesn't look all that crazy.

It's easy to forget how vast Western states are, too. Despite complaints of over-crowding, I've spent plenty of time on the East Coast and you could fit ALL of New England into Colorado with room left over for a lot of NY and PA. I just wrapped up a trip on a tag that covers multiple GMUs and it took almost two hours just to drive from one unit to the next. A Northeastern hunter can get from MA to NH faster than that.

These kinds of things are way more complicated than they're often made out to be. A lot of smaller rural towns here get a large chunk of their income from supporting outdoor sports, mostly hunting and fishing. And people from out of state pay way more into that pool than locals because they're more likely to a) need something they forgot, and b) be willing to eat at a local restaurant or buy that ugly keychain off the rack. I think I remember somebody at the local Murdoch's near where I go say they make half their yearly income in prime big-game season.

I wouldn't mind lower pressure any more than the next guy, but I think this stuff needs to be approached very carefully and thoughtfully.