Colorado Sells More Nonresident Elk Tags than all Seven Western States Combined

How come every other western state model (WY, ID, Utah, NM, Arizona) that was open season for NR and went draw still has tags at reasonable prices for residents? Can you point to somewhere where your argument (I have seen this many times) actually came to fruition?

Are you seriously this clueless?

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great points here. I think OTC with caps is a probably reasonable compromise. A lot of the formerly OTC units that went limited don’t issue a significant portion of their tags in the initial draw. That tells me it is not as much about opportunity as it is the ability to use Colorado OTC as a last ditch, backup. Folks have to plan and be deliberate in this day and age, just a reality. As a Colorado resident, I truly believe the anti-hunting movement in this state is the greatest threat to the future of hunting in Colorado, not non-residents. The CPW draw process working group will kick off shortly and I am optimistic for some thoughtful recommendations from that.
I'm always skeptical of the OTC with caps. It wasn't that long ago that Idaho residents were buying leftover NR tags and now the Idaho tag sale date is a complete fiasco. Hopefully the draw process lands somewhere in the middle of OTC for everyone and limited tags for everyone...