Colorado Springs Meat Processing

feanor

WKR
Has anybody found a good processor in Colorado Springs? I’ve seen Ted Baker but don’t know anybody who has used them. I usually process myself, but sometimes, time won’t allow.

I dont know any myself but if you call Pikes Peak Gun club they have some hunters that work there that know some good processors.

Btw is your username from Lord of the Rings?

jwatts

WKR
I recently used The Meat Cleaver in Denver for a moose. I know it's not Colorado Springs, but may be worth the trip. I was headed to WY after I dropped the meat off and needed to have the meat ready within a few days when I passed back through on the way home. He was able to turn it around in 24hr and get it frozen for me to bring home.

Hilltop Meat Processing in Canon City did an awesome job on my moose last year. Quality work, custom cuts and fast turn around. Its about an hour from Colorado Springs, but well worth the drive.

sacklunch

WKR
Myself and a buddy were less than thrilled with Ted Baker...quality was below average on sausage, pep, etc. I also don't see how my straps/loins poundage came out signficantly less when picked up. He got defensive when questioned.

Also, I dip, no issues, but I don't expect the dudes actively processing my food to be sitting there with dips in. Maybe that's me being picky.

Definitely shouldn’t be cutting meat with a dip in. Don’t take this the wrong way but you might want to think about your statement about how you don’t understand how your loins and backstraps came out weighing less after processing.

sacklunch

WKR
Definitely shouldn’t be cutting meat with a dip in. Don’t take this the wrong way but you might want to think about your statement about how you don’t understand how your loins and backstraps came out weighing less after processing.
Dude, its backstrap, there is no trimming to be done. I'd have cut them into steaks myself if I'd had the butcher paper to wrap them in. Did it my self the next year. But so I don't take it the wrong way, please explain how my straps/loins I asked to be simply cut into 8oz cuts came back weighing signicantly less then the drop off weight? Im certainly not a professional, but I can cut my own backstraps into portions without losing a decent portion of undamaged meat.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Dude, its backstrap, there is no trimming to be done. I'd have cut them into steaks myself if I'd had the butcher paper to wrap them in. Did it my self the next year. But so I don't take it the wrong way, please explain how my straps/loins I asked to be simply cut into 8oz cuts came back weighing signicantly less then the drop off weight? Im certainly not a professional, but I can cut my own backstraps into portions without losing a decent portion of undamaged meat.
Everything needs to be trimmed, even straps. If it’s aged at all, even the time from killing it to the time the butcher starts cutting, it will start to get a rind. The backstop, unless you trimmed it yourself, has the “cap” that needs to be removed. Unless you did an amazing job, there is probably some pine needles, dirt, etc that needs to be trimmed. Here’s a picture of an untrimmed backstrap from an elk then the same strap ready for the freezer. If you want to eat this as is, you better have a lot of A-1.

I take my meat very seriously and I’m confident nobody beats my meat!
E0D92A81-C86F-4EC2-8B36-3E55C952F140.pngDFEE1116-19C7-4C20-AC56-532B0A2C379B.png

sacklunch

WKR
Everything needs to be trimmed, even straps. If it’s aged at all, even the time from killing it to the time the butcher starts cutting, it will start to get a rind. The backstop, unless you trimmed it yourself, has the “cap” that needs to be removed. Unless you did an amazing job, there is probably some pine needles, dirt, etc that needs to be trimmed. Here’s a picture of an untrimmed backstrap from an elk then the same strap ready for the freezer. If you want to eat this as is, you better have a lot of A-1.

I take my meat very seriously and I’m confident nobody beats my meat!
View attachment 542265View attachment 542266
We're talking pounds, multiple...not ounces of dried crust or some grass and dust.

sacklunch

WKR
Ucsdryder nailed it. Couldn’t explain it any better myself so I’m not going to.
U huys are hilarious, yep, you're the only two to ever kill and butcher for meat. No sane person wpuld expect the crust to stay on cut meat, nor dirt. But I guess for the sake of hearing yourself talk you felt it necessary to clarify and assume (incorrectly) that that accounts for the majority of lost meat.

If Ted's doing a great job, in your expert opinion (having admittedly never taken meat there) then by all means, you're entitled to your opinion, be as it may that it's not based in first hand experience.

My opinion is based on first hand experience using multiple different front range area processors. I have retained a higher percentage of my meat and had a higher quality product from others. Dispute that all you like.

Last edited:
Read my first post again, then my second. You obviously took it personal. I have 33 years experience as a professional butcher. I never doubted you saying that you got less meat back. Only your statement about how you didn’t understand it was possible. Ucsdryder explained it just fine so I don’t need to go into any more detail.

WKR
Rustic Cuts in Elizabeth does nice work. I always cut my own but had an injury one year that kept me from doing it. They did a nice job on a buck for me.