Compact Spotting Scope (Another Thread)

I do back country mule deer hunting in Idaho and am looking to purchase a compact spotting scope to carry with me when I set out on foot. I normally carry 10x42 binos, but am looking for something to get a better look on animals when I glass something up to see whether it is worthy of a stalk or not.

Some of the things I'm looking for are lightweight (< 2lbs), clarity, somewhere in the neighborhood of max 20-40x~ zoom, and ideally around $500. I know, I might as well ask for a unicorn to help me pack out meat since I'm at it. I hear they can fly over the roughest terrain and need no water or food, only hugs and kisses. What an ideal pack animal.

I've spent hours researching this and read any forum on this I can find to include recent articles by Outdoor Life and Field & Stream magazine. There are review sites all over the place, but none going head-to-head that are worth noting. I get a decent discount on all manufacturers of optics so I get products quite a bit below MSRP. The $500 price requirement would be after my discount. I am trying to find that niche where quality meets price and where I find value. I don't want a piece of junk with terrible glass that is going to break on me in the field.

I've narrowed it down to these based on many suggestions from Rokslide forums:

-Hawke Endurance ED 13-39x50mm. 29.3oz, 10.6" long, FOV 3.3-1.7°, <$400

-Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56mm. 29.5oz, 11.1" long, FOV 3.2-1.7°, <$800

-Kowa TSN-502 20-40x50mm. 14.1oz, 10.1" long, FOV not listed , <$350

-Leupold GR 10-20x40mm. 15.8oz, 7.5", FOV 3.8-2.6°, <$400

-Nikon Prostaff 5 16-48x60mm. 26oz, 11.4" long, FOV 2.6° @ 16x, <$500

-Nikon Fieldscope ED50 13-30x50mm. 19oz, 11" long, FOV 3° @ 13x, <$700

-Opticron MM4 GA ED 12-36x50mm. 21.7oz, 11.1" length, FOV not listed, <$700

From everything I have read, the Vortex has the best glass, but the price is more than I would like to invest for as little as I would use it. The Leupold has a magnification that is so low it's not really much better than my binos. The Maven (not included) has great glass, but it is too pricey.

I am most interested in the Hawke due to its ED glass and other features, but there is not a lot of information on it or reviews. Has anyone ever used this spotting scope in the real world?

The Kowa has great weight and price, but a lot of reviews say the glass is garbage. I would like to know how that translates to the real world trying to view animals up to 1,000 yards.

A lot of people on these boards love the Nikon fieldscope ED. While it is a bit above my stated price range, I am considering it but dealing with Nikon is a huge pain in the butt. I am not a fan of Nikon the company even though I use their scopes and binos.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I cannot imagine I am the only one looking for a quality compact spotting scope that falls on the low range of high-end so hopefully this will help others.

Your intended use couldn’t be anymore matched to the Kowa 553 or 554. They can be found used for around $1300-1400. If you can raise the funds, you won’t need anything else for investigating something you’ve already found.
Thank you for the reply. There's no question that is a very nice scope, but it is more than I can spend for that particular purchase. If my price was going that high, it would open up other options with Zeiss or Maven.

I'd go with the Razor 56mm. Seems to get positive reviews for a little spotter at that price point, especially if you can find one discounted. I have the Kowa 554, but the little Razor is intriguing.... center clarity is comparable with a bit wider FOV.

I have both the Nikon ed50 and the Nikon edIII 20-60x60 for the money they are pretty good my ed50 split in half at the seam and Nikon replaced it no questions asked... That is the only warranty work that I have had to deal with Nikon and those are the only two pieces of glass that I do own....

I had that Hawke model, impulse purchase, sold it as I didn't have a need for it.
My only spotter so I don't know much about them in general.
The glass was clear, it was small and the weight seemed to be fair for what it is. Paired it with a Siri carbon tripod.
Watch Camofire and or Dvor for deals
Cameraland if you cant wait

Compared the mini razor with the alphas….still have the mini razor. Liked it better than the Kowa. It’s not as good as the swaro. It’s great for what you pay and how light it is. Be patient and you can probably snag one around $700.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming. I own two 85mm Vortex Razors now ( bought 1 and then came into another 1), and that Razor glass just doesn't blow me away. I expected better.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming. I own two 85mm Vortex Razors now ( bought 1 and then came into another 1), and that Razor glass just doesn't blow me away. I expected better.
I had the Gen 1 85mm razor too. Didn’t like it. Couldn’t resolve any more (even w/60x zoom) then the Gen I 65mm w/48x zoom. Still have my Gen I razor 65mm. Haven’t messed with Gen II razors because folks said glass on Gen I was as good if not better (made in Japan).

I had an ED50 and was happy with it until I looked through the Kowa 554. It's still great for the money.

I loved the Kowa 554 until I got my Swaro STC. The STC has all the other small ones beat on field of view and eye relief, at least the ones I've looked through. Don't look through an STC if you want to keep the price down.

Pentax PF 65 or a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 x60. I currently own both of these and they are both great glass. I also bought both on the "bay".

There is no question that Kowa 554 or the Leupold gold ring 60mm are extremely nice, but they are far more than I want to spend. That's why I am not considering them on my list and I am definitely not looking through a Swaro! There is no sense in completely destroying my expectations.

Not a Vortex fan per se, though they have a couple products that I really like. But I think they knocked it out of the park with their Razor 56mm. It's not something I would sit behind for hours, but is perfect for what you intend. And the price is great for what it is. It is light enough that I can keep it in my pack and not really know it's there. I run the NL Pure binos and big scope is a Meopta Meostar and don't feel like I've downgraded having the Razor as my pack scope. Clarity is great and it has focus that is much better than I've seen from Vortex.

Not a Vortex fan per se, though they have a couple products that I really like. But I think they knocked it out of the park with their Razor 56mm. It's not something I would sit behind for hours, but is perfect for what you intend. And the price is great for what it is. It is light enough that I can keep it in my pack and not really know it's there. I run the NL Pure binos and big scope is a Meopta Meostar and don't feel like I've downgraded having the Razor as my pack scope. Clarity is great and it has focus that is much better than I've seen from Vortex.
Thank you for your perspective. I agree the vortex probably has the best glass amongst that group. I have not totally ruled it out just biting the bullet and getting that one. I would really like to see the hawke and Vortex side by side to see how they compare and see if the price difference is worth it.

I had the Vortex Razor and it failed on me in the field. Had it fixed and sold it and bought the Kowa.

The Vortex did it's job I suppose, until it broke. Optically it was fine for the price. I'm surprise that little Maven isn't on your list.

I had the Vortex Razor and it failed on me in the field. Had it fixed and sold it and bought the Kowa.

The Vortex did it's job I suppose, until it broke. Optically it was fine for the price. I'm surprise that little Maven isn't on your list.
The Maven is great, but too expensive for my list.

I have the Maven 15-45x65 and love it for what I use it for- pretty much exactly what you intend to do. Don’t know how it compares to any of the others tho.. If you buy new I think they’re $800ish but you can find them cheaper used- just checked eBay and there’s one for $540.

I also have the maven and really like it. I got it on sale during Amazon prime days last summer for around $600. I would really consider adding it to your list and look for used or a deal

That particular 65 mm Maven also weighs too much. When looking at a scope, or anything for that matter, it is easy to go outside of the parameters. The fact that it is over the budget and weight, makes it a non-starter.

Back