CondensationLESS Tent heater for when near the truck

Looking for something fast, easy, effective that does not create condensation (like a Mr Buddy heater does) to compliment a hub style tent for my hunts where I will be very truck mobile with limited camp time. Looking for a system to throw up fast and take down in the morning. So far thinking gazelle or otter hub style tent and having someone build me a self-contained diesel heater in a pelican "box". Thoughts?

What are folks doing these days. Is the "Nuway" the way to go?

Has anyone sourced a diesel heater in a box ready to go/purchase?

Mr heater is easy button, but keep hearing about all the condensation issues as well as altitude issues. I want to get warm at night when near the truck and perhaps dry clothes.

My head is spinning. Any ideas?

sasquatch

WKR
Looking for something fast, easy, effective that does not create condensation (like a Mr Buddy heater does) to compliment a hub style tent for my hunts where I will be very truck mobile with limited camp time. Looking for a system to throw up fast and take down in the morning. So far thinking gazelle or otter hub style tent and having someone build me a self-contained diesel heater in a pelican "box". Thoughts?

Mr heater is easy button, but keep hearing about all the condensation issues as well as altitude issues. I want to get warm at night when near the truck and perhaps dry clothes.

I’ve been a long time mr heater user. I have never noticed it create condensation that wouldn’t be there without the heater. I’m fact off probably say I get less with it as the heat dries it up vs when I don’t use the heater.

This is with a cabelas Alaskan guide tent and a springbar canvas tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
H
I keep reading mixed reports on this. Kinda frustrating. Must be some non-simple science going on?

What time of yr (temp/altitude) do you normally hunt? Do you run it hard or 15 mins before/after bed?

FlyGuy

WKR
I know absolutely nothing about this, but check out this recent thread for some ideas…

DIY truck camper

jhm2023

WKR
Propane when burned creates carbon dioxide and water, it's just the way it is. I used to use a buddy heater in my arctic oven during early fall and the rain fly would have a ton of condensation on it. The nuway stove I use now prevents this because it vents through the stove pipe. I've also used the military style hunter stove that runs on diesel and it's really nice in an Alaknak and it's a bit warm in an arctic oven.. The down side is I can't find one to buy and I'm not in the Army anymore with access to one and I haven't discovered an alternate to it. Obviously a wood stove is a great source of heat that dries everything out, but it's not fast or convenient and the heat output varies a lot as the fire burns.

OP
H
Propane when burned creates carbon dioxide and water, it's just the way it is. I used to use a buddy heater in my arctic oven during early fall and the rain fly would have a ton of condensation on it. The nuway stove I use now prevents this because it vents through the stove pipe. I've also used the military style hunter stove that runs on diesel and it's really nice in an Alaknak and it's a bit warm in an arctic oven.. The down side is I can't find one to buy and I'm not in the Army anymore with access to one and I haven't discovered an alternate to it. Obviously a wood stove is a great source of heat that dries everything out, but it's not fast or convenient and the heat output varies a lot as the fire burns.
Is the nuway stove fast and convenient? Is it the solution?

I have the seek outside u turn stove for my backpacking and I am not willing to assemble and disassemble every day. Especially when I'm so close to truck. There has to be a solution by now.

OP
H
I know absolutely nothing about this, but check out this recent thread for some ideas…

DIY truck camper

I checked it out. He built a diesel heater. That's what makes the most sense to me so far, but I haven't quite found anyone who sells an weather proof assembled one yet and I don't have time to build one myself.

jhm2023

WKR
Is the nuway stove fast and convenient? Is it the solution?

I have the seek outside u turn stove for my backpacking and I am not willing to assemble and disassemble every day. Especially when I'm so close to truck. There has to be a solution by now.
The nuway is easy. You place the burner where you want, install the pipe and attach a hose to the stove and to a tank and its done.

sasquatch

WKR
I keep reading mixed reports on this. Kinda frustrating. Must be some non-simple science going on?

What time of yr (temp/altitude) do you normally hunt? Do you run it hard or 15 mins before/after bed?

I’ve ran it all different ways, I also do alot of camping locally which is very high humidity environment. South Louisiana

I’ve used it in south LA, colorado, idaho, wyoming, Mississippi, and Missouri. With overall the same results.

You can always crack a wooden or door etc etc to help but I’ve never really noticed a need to.

I’ve woken up to more condensation at times If I don’t use the stove. Just my opinion though but I’ve got a lot of hours logged taking hunting trips

BBob

WKR
Planar makes a portable diesel unit in a waterproof case.

Last edited:
Not only propane, but most heat sources including wood create water as a byproduct of combustion. The difference is, with a wood stove the exhaust goes up and out of the tent.

You say you already have a SO wood stove... have you considered one of the smaller lightweight box stoves? I know a couple manufacturers make smaller Ti box stoves that don't collapse. If you're looking for a cheaper option, Kni-co also makes a small stove. Only thing you have to assemble is the pipe.

I've heard both good and bad about the Nu-way. It seems most of the good reports are coming from AO guys, and from guys who use some sort of system to keep all the heat from going out of the pipe.

sneaky

"DADDY"

If your head is spinning get a couple more CO detectors 😂

Marble

WKR
I read through the thread and haven't really seen a really good solution. What I haven't seen mentioned is the moisture that exits out of the body at night, is a bigger contributing factor than anything I've dealt with.

Especially at higher altitude, your body expells more water vapor per breath. Up to a quart every night while sleeping.

I think a better solution is to find a way to ventilate the tent and get a good pad and bag.

If I'm at the truck I have extra big heavy pads and bags to sleep in/on.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk