Convince me to spend more $ on a scope

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't.

FF with holder overs will do it. 3-9 Accupoint will have better glass and IMHO the green mil dot reticle is the best pure hunting reticle made (non dialing).

This is what I recently ended up topping both of my Kimbers with.

KenLee

WKR
Wasn't my post you replied to, but tried to give you an example. I personally hate Nikon quit making scopes, as I've had them slam onto concrete or door jams of trucks 4x hard enough to bend the objective "bells" badly, put a rag over them and bent them kinda back into shape with a needle nose vise grip without losing zero.
I beat on Nikons 30 years til I started buying expensive scopes.
Guy may have been thinking of SWFA scopes that are cheap and hold zero, but with sad glass unless you wrangle the better glass versions that are higher price.

KenLee

WKR
Vortex Viper refurbished for $400. Great bang for your buck.
Oh Lord on Easter!
I'd hunt with a 1980s Japanese Tasco before I hunted with a $400 Viper!
I've broken Viper with 6 shots from a 308 w 150 gr ammo. Replacement wouldn't ever zero. Next Replacement got sold before I opened the box. You must have had a much better experience.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Wasn't my post you replied to, but tried to give you an example.

The other Burris scopes I have tried/used weren’t great at hold zero retention. The old FF I have is ok- but it isn’t a current scope.

I personally hate Nikon quit making scopes, as I've had them slam onto concrete or door jams of trucks 4x hard enough to bend the objective "bells" badly, put a rag over them and bent them kinda back into shape with a needle nose vise grip without losing zero.
I beat on Nikons 30 years til I started buying expensive scopes.

I’ve shot a bunch of Nikons- some very heavily. In general they were functional, but none I would call “durable”.

Guy may have been thinking of SWFA scopes that are cheap and hold zero, but with sad glass unless you wrangle the better glass versions that are higher price.

The “glass” thing is funny. No one would notice the difference between the SWFA 6x and a S&B 6x hunting or looking through them, without looking at the label. Every single time I have had someone in person say that the current 6x or 10x SWFAa have “sad” glass, they either didn’t focus them correctly (or at all) or couldn’t tell the difference when used side by side with whatever their current flavor of “better” is. That “glass” in this big difference between scopes is such a worn out, tired, and incorrect argument now. Any decent scope has better “glass” than required for killing animals in legal light- any of them.

KenLee

WKR
The other Burris scopes I have tried/used weren’t great at hold zero retention. The old FF I have is ok- but it isn’t a current scope.

I’ve shot a bunch of Nikons- some very heavily. In general they were functional, but none I would call “durable”.

The “glass” thing is funny. No one would notice the difference between the SWFA 6x and a S&B 6x hunting or looking through them, without looking at the label. Every single time I have had someone in person say that the current 6x or 10x SWFAa have “sad” glass, they either didn’t focus them correctly (or at all) or couldn’t tell the difference when used side by side with whatever their current flavor of “better” is. That “glass” in this big difference between scopes is such a worn out, tired, and incorrect argument now. Any decent scope has better “glass” than required for killing animals in legal light- any of them.
I can turn my 30-32 year old Nikons that I paid $300 for in 1989-92 at a gun shop to 6x and and they are just as good as my 6x SWFA scopes. There's a reason I don't carry my rifles with those scopes on early and late hunts. They are sad glass by today's standards. Not worthy of hunting with at first or last light. I'm in a stand 90% of afternoons and evenings October 1st til January 1st for the last 45 years. I know what I see through the scope tubes.

Oh Lord on Easter!
I'd hunt with a 1980s Japanese Tasco before I hunted with a $400 Viper!
I've broken Viper with 6 shots from a 308 w 150 gr ammo. Replacement wouldn't ever zero. Next Replacement got sold before I opened the box. You must have had a much better experience.
Had absolutely terrific experience with an HST. Fell off the truck and down a steep hill ( kids), but held zero and tracks perfectly. Been super durable and accurate. I wouldn't buy Vortex at anywhere near retail prices, but at 50% off they're great bang for your buck.

Dented

WKR
Form,
You've got more experience than most behind more glass than most. You're obviously interested in this particular thread. The OP is asking for information on why he should spend more money. After reading your threads, how about seizing this opportunity to share the wealth of knowledge you possess and give the guy a solid answer?

You could include a few recommendations for him if you're feeling particularly generous.

Nobody came in here to argue. Well, it would appear with 1 notable exception...

How about it? Share the wealth, man.

OP
DunnCoHunter

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Form,
You've got more experience than most behind more glass than most. You're obviously interested in this particular thread. The OP is asking for information on why he should spend more money. After reading your threads, how about seizing this opportunity to share the wealth of knowledge you possess and give the guy a solid answer?

You could include a few recommendations for him if you're feeling particularly generous.

Thanks for all the replies, actually an interesting discussion!

Yes I would actually love to hear more of Forms opinion. Obviously he has more rifle scope knowledge and experience than I could ever dream of having.

I don’t think a fixed power is the ticket for me, since I will likely use it hunting at close range quite a bit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form,
You've got more experience than most behind more glass than most. You're obviously interested in this particular thread.

No, I’m interested in correct information. I have zero desire to convince someone to spend more money on a scope.

The OP is asking for information on why he should spend more money. After reading your threads, how about seizing this opportunity to share the wealth of knowledge you possess and give the guy a solid answer?

There is more than enough room information on this forum to answer anything he wants.

I didn’t post to argue, I posted to ask a question based on your statement- what cheap scopes hold zero and work reliably, because I and a lot of others can’t seem to find them.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for all the replies, actually an interesting discussion!

Yes I would actually love to hear more of Forms opinion. Obviously he has more rifle scope knowledge and experience than I could ever dream of having.

I don’t think a fixed power is the ticket for me, since I will likely use it hunting at close range quite a bit.

It’s not about how much a scope costs. There are scopes that are reliable and durable, generally working correctly with no issues; and then there are all the rest. If you don’t need or care about a low probability of failure- there are plenty of scopes for what you want.

06 SB

FNG
Most any scope will work during the day. The higher priced ones tend to give you a few extra minutes before dawn and after sunset. That is when the big ones come out. I tend to buy Zeiss, Swarovski and Meopta. The Athlons I have played with have been impressive but hate they are made in China. The South Korean Bushnells are well worth a look for your needs and are way under your budget.

OP
DunnCoHunter

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
@DunnCoHunter. What and where do you hunt?
I live in Wisconsin, and do a lot of whitetail hunting. This rifle will be used some for that. So a lot of close shots under 150 yards.

However, this rifle will be used more for elk and mule deer in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado. I take one trip out every year. I will use it some at home in WI, but often times I like to use my lever .30-30 around home.