Coues Deer...why?

cmc

FNG
To the original poster why coues deer - like most have said it's a unique challenge. Something different for what most think of deer hunting in other states.

Like others have said though if you're holding hold for a monster mule deer you could always go for the strip mule deer in the draw and then get an OTC archery tag for December or January. You're buying the license might as well get some use out of it. Make it a combo quail/javelina/deer hunt in January. They will humble you! For spot and stalk archery hunting critters they rank second only to an antelope for difficulty. It's a blast but be warned, it's addictive.

Rackmastr

WKR
Not all. But, a lot of really, really good ones are.

I really would love to do a Coues hunt one day, but think I may not have a single deer point (or one possibly when I applied for sheep a couple years back). Are you saying that a guy can hunt Coues in a pretty good area for success/quality and not need a lot of points to draw?

DEHusker

WKR
Not all. But, a lot of really, really good ones are.

Rut rifle hunts (December) in the really good units require lots of points. With the new draw structure in AZ, you could possibly draw them randomly but it is still a long shot. In the units I hunt, it's 8-10 points for a NR rut rifle tag. You have to decide if that's worth it over saving another 8-10 points for a strip mule deer tag.

Maverick940

Banned
Rut rifle hunts (December) in the really good units require lots of points. With the new draw structure in AZ, you could possibly draw them randomly but it is still a long shot. In the units I hunt, it's 8-10 points for a NR rut rifle tag. You have to decide if that's worth it over saving another 8-10 points for a strip mule deer tag.

You're absolutely correct; the late December rifle Coues whitetail deer hunts are over-hyped and consequently, difficult to draw.

The early December rifle Coues deer hunts are much, much easier to draw and have at least 40% chance to draw and some units are even much better than that.

The late November rifle Coues hunts are even easier to draw, with odds of about 60-80%.

The early November rifle Coues deer hunts are virtually a "gimme" with 80-100% chance to draw.

The late October Coues rifle hunts are by-and-large guaranteed tags, with 100% chance to draw.

But yes, the late December rifle hunts are over-hyped and because of that consequence, they are tough to draw.

If a hunter wants to go and to go as soon as possible or to go as many times as possible -- while at the same time having excellent hunting conditions and excellent trophy potential -- the earlier hunts are the way to go.

Maverick, you are only speaking about a few units. The early hunts are easier to draw, but it may still take a few years to get most tags. Now if you are talking the 36's and a few others near the boarder, your statements sound more correct. Keep in mind, these hunts are trending upward significantly over the last 5 years, so the amount of left over tags are reduced significantly. Our game and fish has made these hunts extremely crowded with hunting pressure and the success rates are lower. Having said that, If you are willing to hike and bust your butt, you will be successful.

If you guys have never hunted these little guys, it is well worth the travel to try and seal the deal on one. In lots of the southern units, it will not be uncommon to see 50 + deer a day. Lots of small groups of deer.

Maverick940

Banned
Hunt Harder:

I was basically referring to Units 21-36, although Unit 6 could also be added to that list. All have excellent hunting conditions and superb trophy potential. And depending on season dates, all have good-to-excellent chances to draw and a lot of them virtually guarantee a permit during the summer draw process. I've had excellent success drawing permits literally every year during the summer draw.

Maverick

Camofreak

FNG
Yeah you can draw a lot of those hunts easy, but killing a good buck is a lot harder than drawing the tag, which is why the december tags are nice, now you got dumb rutted up big bucks coming down you havent seen all year.

Those whitetails are so much fun to hunt! BUT if i a was a non-res i would do strip and kaibab. We had a 5 year streak of 2 years of the bab and 1 year on the strip, and it was a blast hunting big ol mulies. But now im onto Coues and they're addicting!

Maverick940

Banned
Yep, the five units that are up on the North Rim are a lot of fun. I love hunting up there. That in and of itself can be addicting. Truly big mulies are at the pinnacle of difficulty, nowadays.

Truly awe-inspiring Coues bucks can be killed during any season (October through December). A hunter doesn't necessarily need a December permit in order to see and kill giant Coues bucks. They can be killed at any time.

I have a late November bull elk hunt and drew a October coues hunt. I'm more excited to hunt coues!! The feeling you get when you work so hard and glass ALL day and finely see that mature buck there is nothing like it! Killing him is a different story! You can lose sight of him in a blink of an eye. If you would like to hunt southeastern AZ look up cuernosoutfitters on FB..

Why hunt coues deer? Because sitting all day in a tree over a feed plot isn't my idea of hunting. Whenever I see these celebrities on the huntin shows killing a whitetail out of tree stand in a field I just shake my head. and they think they are really hunting.

Try for coues deer. You can hunt the muleys in Wy, Co, UT, Id, etc.

Camofreak

FNG
^^ this. You don't fj d coues deer in many places. They're nothing like hi tjng those whitetails you are used too. They're smart, small,and addicting, very fun to hunt. The December hunt is nice because it's 3 weeks and the weather is perfect. Plus who doesn't want to hunt animals in the rut!

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I left Illinois to go hunt them with my bow last December and had a blast.

I ended up missing a small 3 pointer at 37 yards after a 3 hour stalk on the last day. I was probably just as jacked up for that shot as any big whitetail from back home. Oh and the desert during the winter is awesome.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
I mean just look at this PY coues, how could you not get a thrill out of chasing him?