CRAZY Question: 4th Season Unit 44

CCH

WKR
I have a LOT of points for mule deer here in Colorado. I was pretty much stunned that I did not draw this year. So, no scouting once I didn't. Also, I'm anemic and not in a good place with that right now. My son has a cow tag for 3/301 in that season and I was going to try to help him with that (that has its own issues and may not happen regardless.) Hell, I just have a lot of life in general going on.

Here's the rub. The DOW contacted me today and said that someone had returned a tag for Unit 44 4th season, and I'm next in line. If I take it, it burns my points. My best case for scouting is that I get up there this Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I may be able to hunt the Wednesday/Thursday of the season, but can only guarantee the Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

I am NOT asking for honey holes or anything like that, but given the circumstances does anyone who knows the area think going up there on short notice given the above is worth the risk this year? Alternatively, I can try applying again next year when I can put in the time to really be prepared. I have three business days to do this.

My mind says give the next guy the chance and hope for the future, my heart says I won a lottery ticket and I should spend. Health issues have me struggling to look too far down the road. BTW, if you think you're next in line for that tag (didn't know I was), send me a PM and you might help me with the decision.

I just returned from helping 3 friends that had tags the 3rd season. They all tagged out by the 3rd morning however I'll say they weren't "trophy" hunting and just wanted a decent deer. My guess is one was a 150 and the other 2 were 165-170ish. I think the weather is looking much better for 4th season. Are you saying you can only hunt Wed. and Thurs as I'm not sure what your availability is. If only 2 days, I personally wouldn't do that if you want a big deer. I guess it depends on what you'd be happy with. I'd say we really didn't venture off the roads too much and a 160-170 seemed fairly easy. Keep in mind we saw very little the 1st day then the deer seemed very active after that. BTW, a guy I know that lives in the area said he's seen a lot of very good deer this year.

Do you have an ATV or side by side or just a 4 WD? Some of the roads can get very slick for just a 4WD if there's snow and not frozen. If you only have 4WD that can severely limit where you will be able to go if the snow happens like it's forecasted.

OP
C

CCH

WKR
To clarify: I can definitely hunt Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Might be able to hunt Wednesday and/or Thursday. If I did, it would be up and back from Grand Junction each day.

No ATV, drive an overly large 4x4 meant to pull our camper.

Thanks for all the input! Sleeping on it for at least tonight, but want the next guy to get notice asap.

Rich M

WKR
Sounds like you aren't convinced you should do it this year. If someone were to pop up and say i can help - you'd be all over it.

I'm in agreement - can someone help this guy out?

Good luck.

OP
C

CCH

WKR
Thanks for all the advice and the pms with offers of help, especially svivian’s offer to help, but I decided to pass.

This is a big deal hunt for me, and I want to give it the time it deserves and hope to have a friend and my son along to experience it with me. Doing it now is just forcing it. Good luck to whoever is next in line!

I just returned from helping 3 friends that had tags the 3rd season. They all tagged out by the 3rd morning however I'll say they weren't "trophy" hunting and just wanted a decent deer. My guess is one was a 150 and the other 2 were 165-170ish. I think the weather is looking much better for 4th season. Are you saying you can only hunt Wed. and Thurs as I'm not sure what your availability is. If only 2 days, I personally wouldn't do that if you want a big deer. I guess it depends on what you'd be happy with. I'd say we really didn't venture off the roads too much and a 160-170 seemed fairly easy. Keep in mind we saw very little the 1st day then the deer seemed very active after that. BTW, a guy I know that lives in the area said he's seen a lot of very good deer this year.
I am getting ready to head out that way on Friday night. That will give me 4 good days scouting prior the opener. I have also talked to a guy that was there for Third season with his Dad. They tagged out on the second day. I am excited about the hunt, it should be prime time and it will be worth the wait.

I have a LOT of points for mule deer here in Colorado. I was pretty much stunned that I did not draw this year. So, no scouting once I didn't. Also, I'm anemic and not in a good place with that right now. My son has a cow tag for 3/301 in that season and I was going to try to help him with that (that has its own issues and may not happen regardless.) Hell, I just have a lot of life in general going on.

Here's the rub. The DOW contacted me today and said that someone had returned a tag for Unit 44 4th season, and I'm next in line. If I take it, it burns my points. My best case for scouting is that I get up there this Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I may be able to hunt the Wednesday/Thursday of the season, but can only guarantee the Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

I am NOT asking for honey holes or anything like that, but given the circumstances does anyone who knows the area think going up there on short notice given the above is worth the risk this year? Alternatively, I can try applying again next year when I can put in the time to really be prepared. I have three business days to do this.

My mind says give the next guy the chance and hope for the future, my heart says I won a lottery ticket and I should spend. Health issues have me struggling to look too far down the road. BTW, if you think you're next in line for that tag (didn't know I was), send me a PM and you might help me with the decision.
First off... I want to say I have a 4th season tag for that unit, so anything I say may have some bias. I also was contacted by DOW last year about the same time (two weeks until the season opened) and I declined the tag because of what I didn't feel I would have time for. Scouting the areas and talking with good people, such as the folks on Rokslide was very important with so much on the line. 21 points is a lot to invest.

This year I was able to get the tag, again the DOW calling me and saying they had a person turn the tag back. The difference was this happened in late June so that gave me plenty of time to get all of my homework done. I have done multiple scouting weekends there throughout the year and I will be up there for multiple days prior to the season open.

Now, I don't know your health situation and I can't imagine what you have to go through. But when I was put into that situation last year I said no and I think that was the right decision to make. I feel more confident going into that area than I would have been last year. The whole area has great little areas to check out and scouting through them is what gave me the understanding I needed to be better equipped this year.

If you do decide to take the tag send me a message and I will definitely be willing to share a lot of what I learned to help you with your hunt as well.

Good luck and send me a message.

Reactions: CCH

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Id pass on it if it were me. I know the area pretty well. And have buddies with more time that can help you out in the future. Just too short a notice this year. That tag is too special to rush it.

I am getting ready to head out that way on Friday night. That will give me 4 good days scouting prior the opener. I have also talked to a guy that was there for Third season with his Dad. They tagged out on the second day. I am excited about the hunt, it should be prime time and it will be worth the wait.
The guy with his Dad was perhaps my friends however they tagged out the 3rd day? The Dad shot his buck just after they got his sons buck back to the truck as they spotted his deer and a short stalk later they both were done.

The guy with his Dad was perhaps my friends however they tagged out the 3rd day? The Dad shot his buck just after they got his sons buck back to the truck as they spotted his deer and a short stalk later they both were done.
It could have been... I am not completely sure what day it was, but third day makes sense. We were messaging back and forth throughout the weeks leading up to his season.

He had mentioned that it was rough the first day and they found him low in the country. The rut sounds like it is just kicking in through most of the area. What was your experience this year?

Feel free to hit me up off-line if you would like.

Chip
720-933-1655

Rut was on for sure. We saw nothing Friday and opening day then the 2nd day we started see deer all over along the roads on private in the middle of the day. I think they could have found bigger ones if they held out. Guessing theirs were 165-170 ish. We had bluebird weather and warmer than desirable so I think 4th is looking much better for hunting. Good luck. A buddy in the area told me he's seen some very good deer this year but hasn't been out much the last month or so.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk