Custom gun/barrel bad luck?

SDHNTR

WKR
Was just recently talking to a buddy who thinks I'm cursed when it comes to custom rifles. He may be right. I have had problems with nearly every one I've ever owned. I literally own 10 different rifles that are either full custom, or at least have had action work and a custom aftermarket barrel installed. Of those, only 3 have arrived in my hands without needing to go back or have some form of additional repairs/adjustments done. And I'm not talking about accuracy issues or anything subjective, I'm talking about functional issues. The guns just wouldn't operate as they should. If we include accuracy issues, the count goes up to 8 of the 10 with problems. That said, all are functional and accurate now. In each case the builder/gunsmith owned everything and did whatever it took to make things right, so I'm not going to badmouth anyone. But is this normal?

2 had chambers that were cut too tight to chamber anything, no factory ammo nor new brass.
2 wouldn't feed out of the magazine
1 had sloppy bedding and an off centered barrel
1 had a cracked BDL trigger guard at the release catch pin
1 had a BDL floorplate with a weak catch spring so the floorplate would blow open under recoil.

So just 20-30% success with custom guns and gunsmiths. I guess the tolerance stacking of so many independent manufacturers making the different parts that compose a rifle just don't always marry well together. Makes me wonder why I bother. I've only had 3 problems with factory guns over the years, out of dozens, including shotguns and rimfires.

What's your experience? Am I cursed?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What's your experience? Am I cursed?

No. I have said before that I have owned or heavily used “custom” rifles built by a lot of, or most of the bigger names up to around 2016, and all had issues of some sort. The only gunsmith that I have not had a single issue with is Shaen Magen.

This is due to several reasons. First, these aren’t “custom” rifles. They are assembled parts. Second, by and large they do not get functioned checked before they are shipped to the customer. If someone wants to see an actual custom go check out Echols Rifles, Rigby, etc. Those are hand fit down to every single component, modified for the exact person, and fully function checked before you get it.

A “custom” with an R700 pattern receiver, a barrel, a drop in trigger, and a drop in stock is not a custom anymore than a Winchester EW is, or a Barret Fieldcraft was.

Before people start wailing, the Barret Fieldcraft was an aftermarket trued R700 footprint action, a drop in trigger, a “match grade” barrel, with an aftermarket stock that was fully bedded. What is the difference between that and any other “custom” being done by dozens of smiths? When I buy a Bell and Carlson stock for my Savage is that custom? What about a Savage that comes from the factory with a “trued” action, an MDT chassis and Proof barrel? Is that “custom”?

Technically it is the same as any other “custom”, however most intuitively know that it isn’t custom at all.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
No. I have said before that I have owned or heavily used “custom” rifles built by a lot of, or most of the bigger names up to around 2016, and all had issues of some sort. The only gunsmith that I have not had a single issue with is Shaen Magen.

This is due to several reasons. First, these aren’t “custom” rifles. They are assembled parts. Second, by and large they do not get functioned checked before they are shipped to the customer. If someone wants to see an actual custom go check out Echols Rifles, Rigby, etc. Those are hand fit down to every single component, modified for the exact person, and fully function checked before you get it.

A “custom” with an R700 pattern receiver, a barrel, a drop in trigger, and a drop in stock is not a custom anymore than a Winchester EW is, or a Barret Fieldcraft was.

Before people start wailing, the Barret Fieldcraft was an aftermarket trued R700 footprint action, a drop in trigger, a “match grade” barrel, with an aftermarket stock that was fully bedded. What is the difference between that and any other “custom” being done by dozens of smiths? When I buy a Bell and Carlson stock for my Savage is that custom? What about a Savage that comes from the factory with a “trued” action, an MDT chassis and Proof barrel? Is that “custom”?

Technically it is the same as any other “custom”, however most intuitively know that it isn’t custom at all.
Agreed on all counts, and glad I'm not alone. Ha! Sometimes I wish I could just limit myself to Pre64's and 300 yard max. Life was simpler then.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Agreed on all counts. Sometimes I wish I could just limit myself to Pre64's and 300 yard max. Life was simpler then.

Or get a Pre64 with an actual custom designed stock and have the best of both worlds…

It's not exactly a traditional custom, but it's the only one I have that wasn't a factory rifle. It's a 300 prc apex model from viking armament, defiance anti x action, 20" benchmark carbon barrel in an xlr chassis topped eith an nx8. They quoted me 4 months and it got delivered exactly at 4 months, which I thought was awesome after hearing so many people waiting way beyond quoted lead times for rifles from other smiths.

Zero issues with it so far when it comes to performance, but I apparently need a small base die for my fired brass now. Either way I've decided to just do rokslide special tikka "builds" from here on out

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Or get a Pre64 with an actual custom designed stock and have the best of both worlds…
Not a bad idea. I do have several of them with aftermarket stocks. And a couple more with fancy barrels too. Shot a bull at 620 with one of em last fall.

I think the competition is fierce and the margins are pretty thin.
Even though the components are expensive and over all the rifle is expensive. Idk the Smith makes that much.
Also to the Smith its just a pile of components.
The more he turns the more he makes.
It is emotional for the buyer because its our money.
And no one want to pay for the time associated with making it perfect.
I'm sure if you offered an extra $500 to double check everything for 2 hrs at the end if the build you would never see an issue.
Example you don't want to pay for load development.

The money for them is sending as many out as possible and fixing the bad ones, that is less time then ensuring every one is perfect.

Thats why I spent so much time and worry selecting who I did.

Have you had a factory that shot worth a shit? Cause I never really have.

SDHNTR,
I feel your pain:) I think when it comes to rifle builds you and I have had some of the same bad luck over the past years. The first time I had something done "custom" was a new barrel. I had the barrel maker install they barrel and it never would chamber most any factory ammo and never shot any better than the factory barrel - this was on a model 700 action.

Next time around I got one of only 3 full builds that turned out to be perfect and also is and continues to be extremely accurate - that was a build by Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs. I've had him to a ton of work and its always been perfect.

Had a couple rifles built off 700 actions - both 7MM-08's. Turned out great but never shot as well as I would of expected plus a few purely cosmetic oops on both rifles, no big deal but its kinda like your new car comes with a ding in it you just don't want that.

Then has a rifle built by an outfit in the south that was a hot shop for custom rifles for a number of years - they are now closed. Had them build me a 7MM-08 also. The barrel was supposed to be fluted - it wasn't. Then they did this to the bolt knob. It was one Karl installed, one of his Campfire knobs. Anyway, they tried to unscrew it when they Cerakoted it, you can't take it off since Karl screws and epoxy glues them on. Their reply was they thought it was already dented and I liked it that way:unsure:

I sent it back and asked if they could fit it - here is what they sent back:)

I know its all cosmetic but when you wait 8+ months for a build and pay top dollar and get this - not great.

Next rifle was a .243 build from a well known smith back east, rifle took way longer than expected which is fine, but when it arrived the the trigger guard wouldn't sit flush front to back - it was an ADL build and the mag box sat too far down and was hitting the trigger guard - pretty easy to see so not sure how the smith missed that one, plus it never shot much better than a Tikka. Again maybe cosmetic but also not fully functional. This one also would never feed a round out of the mag box until I fiddled with the mag box until I went about crazy to get it right.

Now fast forward, my last 2 full builds are perfect in every way and the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Both have Defiance actions/Bartlein barrels and Proof stocks. Shaen Magan @ Shaen Rifles built them both. Both where done in exactly the time he quoted, price was great and he is super easy to work with and just a good dude that has some magic he does to anything 7MM.

Any future builds will be with Shaen, no drama and you end up with great rifle.

Sorry for the long winded post but yup I feel your pain on "custom builds".

I have 2 customs and haven't had any function issues with them. The one that shoots lights out is from RW Snyder out in Iowa. The other one (Mausingfield/Proof combo from LRI) I still need to properly try out so the jury is out on accuracy for it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The next time I get a big itch that needs scratching, I'll just do it 100% myself. With the abundance of prefits these days I see no reason to shop out a full build.

ID_Matt

WKR
The next time I get a big itch that needs scratching, I'll just do it 100% myself. With the abundance of prefits these days I see no reason to shop out a full build.
Someone else still has to cut the chambers on those prefits. Been a few threads lately about nightmares with those....I may be on the lucky end. Have 3 full custom builds and several re-barrels to factory actions and all have been fine. Same gunsmith.

Sounds like a lot of your problems have been around feeding and BDL setups... I think there was a thread on here a few weeks ago about why BDL's are becoming less popular.

I’ve had a few customs built. So far Alex wheeler built the only one that was “perfect”

I would probably trust a tac ops if I had to roll the dice on another smith to bet money on it being perfect.

aside from that? Idk.

Problem with home builds is you still have a chamber cut by someone and prefits are high volume sellers, so you can still get a sloppy worked barrel. Further, you’ve got a stock that very well may be inletted incorrectly too.

Hard to foolproof it in the firearms industry tbh

Lawnboi

WKR
My first build off a tikka was a huge flop. Best yet I have a 1200 barrel that I’ll never use.

Besides that build Iv had nothing but good.

sambo3006

FNG
I’ve had several issues with gunsmithing work. The worst was an unfired 300 RUM I bought secondhand. It was a Shilen barrel with a muzzle brake built on a 700 action. I couldn’t get it on a big piece of cardboard at 25 yards. I got up to about 10 yards and finally hit the cardboard with a perfect sideways bullet hole. Turns out that that they had used a .338 cal barrel blank. The hole in the muzzle brake was for a .30 cal. It’s a wonder it didn’t blow the brake right off the barrel. After about four months of back and fourth with the seller and gunsmith I finally got the proper barrel. It shot great and I sent it down the road.
I’ve had great work done by Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles and Rich Riley at High Tech Customs. I bought a full custom secondhand from Cloud Peak Gunworks and it is flawless. My next build will be done by Long Rifles Inc, as I have a 700 action that has been blueprinted by them. I have not read one single bad word about their work. They have fluted some bolts for me with a super fast turn around.
Honestly, I’ll probably stick with them for all my future work due to their sterling reputation and extremely fast turnaround time.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve had several issues with gunsmithing work. The worst was an unfired 300 RUM I bought secondhand. It was a Shilen barrel with a muzzle brake built on a 700 action. I couldn’t get it on a big piece of cardboard at 25 yards. I got up to about 10 yards and finally hit the cardboard with a perfect sideways bullet hole. Turns out that that they had used a .338 cal barrel blank. The hole in the muzzle brake was for a .30 cal. It’s a wonder it didn’t blow the brake right off the barrel. After about four months of back and fourth with the seller and gunsmith I finally got the proper barrel. It shot great and I sent it down the road.
I’ve had great work done by Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles and Rich Riley at Straight Shot gunsmithing. My next build will be done by Long Rifles Inc, as I have a 700 action that has been blueprinted by them. I have not read one single bad word about their work. They have fluted some bolts for me with a super fast turn around.
Honestly, I’ll probably stick with them for all my future work due to their sterling reputation and extremely fast turnaround time.
I have my only 700 POS en route to LRI now. First job with them. Fingers crossed.

My only nightmare build was done by straight jacket armory in Evanston. Gun never shot right, had to send it back twice. Cost me a cougar and bear, along with a new barrel, labor for a proper Smith to rebuild it and all the components I burned on the junk barrel trying to get it to work.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I’d say my experience with HCA was piss poor. Build took 15 months instead of 6. Hard to get ahold of the whole time. Showed up with the rear action screw loose enough to take out by hand. Tightened it to spec and the bolt wouldn’t cycle because the screw protruded through the tang. The finish on the pic rail on stock was all marred up. The ejector plunger spring was too long and wouldn’t allow the plunger to depress all the way, left a swipe on the brass every single time a round was chambered. No response to this problem. After I resolved the above problems, the rifle shot pretty good. However, The reamer must have been out of spec because I had problems with the chamber. I trashed the barrel and had another gunsmith redo the entire rifle.

Mike is a nice guy, but I think he took on more work than he should have and had some sub par help. The QC was not there at all.