Dall Hunt Alaska or Canada

For your experienced sheep hunters what are the differences in doing a Dall hunt in AK or Canada? Are there any advantages to one place or another, price difference, etc? I am in the really early stages of planning my first and likely only sheep hunt, am 50 years old, in good shape and have been hunting all my life. I am not getting any younger and sheep hunts are not getting any cheaper. I have always dreamed about hunting sheep. As far as planning, I think I have convinced my wife that our next big project house project is to add a Dall mount. I have talked to two outfitters in Alaska but wondering if I should also look at Canadian outfitters.
Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve done both...You can have a great sheep hunt in both places but the two are very different. I will elaborate later, but to quickly answer your questions: NWT is quite a bit more expensive for many reasons. If money isn’t an issue, you should also consider Canada Outfits. Depending on what you want out of the hunt and what your budget is will help determine where you will go. I’ll try to chime in more on the “details” tomorrow...

Many Alaskan outfitters are hunting public land where local pressure as well as competition from other outfitters can come into play, so legal rams can be harder to find.

In the Northwest Territories, each outfitter has an exclusive concession of thousands of square miles of prime habitat. It is possible for a NWT citizen to hunt in that concession, but doesnt happen very often at all. Certainly no other outfitter would hunt there. If I only had one shot at it, I would call Arctic Red River, Gana River, Stan Steven's MMO, or any of the other outfitters in the NWT or Yukon.

Either way you would have a trip of a lifetime, but your chances of coming home empty handed, based on what I saw when I researched, would be a little higher if you go to Alaska, especially if you are looking for the cheapest hunt....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm going on my first (and likely only) dall hunt in alaska this year. I booked it a couple years ago and the outfitter's price has gone up $4k since then. From what I've seen, that is a pretty common increase across the board.. I'd book it soon.

Kotaman

WKR
Here are some of my bullet points on AK vs. NWT/Canada for Dalls:

AK-

*PRO - Ak is cheaper
*CON - You will probably see other hunters
*PRO - AK is US - Easier travel, easier to bring trophy home.
*CON - IMO the age class of rams in most areas is younger due to pressure.

NWT/Canada

*PRO - You will be hunting a HUGE hunt area pretty much by yourself and will more than likely see NO ONE else on your hunt.
*PRO - You will be hunting an older class of ram and typically see lots of sheep
*CON - All of the advantages over AK cost $$$

If it is "once in a lifetime" and cost isn't really a concern, I'd go to NWT. If the money is a limiting factor, go to AK and enjoy the experience. There are places in AK where you can get the NWT "experience", but you will pay for that as well. (One that comes to mind is Ultimate Thule)

Like I said earlier, I've done both and killed sheep in both, had great hunts in both, but the two experiences were very different. If you have specific questions, PM me. There are people with more experience than me on this topic, but I've done 11 sheep/goat hunts in the past and have a few more booked at this time, so I have some "field experience". Either way, no matter what you choose, you are going to have a "hell of an adventure"...Good luck!

keller

WKR
I've seen about the same rise in cost.went on my first sheep hunt 2018.booked 2 years prior.prices going up considerably.most guys will book you at the price their at now.enjoy every minute and take lots of pics and video.best of luck.which outfitter you going with?
I'm going on my first (and likely only) dall hunt in alaska this year. I booked it a couple years ago and the outfitter's price has gone up $4k since then. From what I've seen, that is a pretty common increase across the board.. I'd book it soon.

The Mackenzie Mts in the NWT are the last best spot in North America as far as I'm concerned. I'd save up and go hunt a Dall with one of the (I believe there are 8) outfitters that operates in the region. I've only hunted at Canol (archery Dall) and Arctic Red for caribou. Both were excellent hunts. As Doc Holliday says above there is little to no local pressure. You have to be a resident of the NWT to hunt there without a guide, and there is only about 30,000 residents in total.

In Alaska I've seen a lot of small plane traffic, other hunters, a lot more human sign etc. I also had such a poor Dall hunt with an Alaskan outfitter that I swore off ever going on another guided hunt 22 years ago. I've since acquiesced and gone on some excellent guided hunts, but pick your outfitter carefully! Good luck!

I've seen about the same rise in cost.went on my first sheep hunt 2018.booked 2 years prior.prices going up considerably.most guys will book you at the price their at now.enjoy every minute and take lots of pics and video.best of luck.which outfitter you going with?

Yeah, I assume most lock in your price when you put $ down and sign the dotted line. I'm booked with Jonah Stewart.

Yeah, I assume most lock in your price when you put $ down and sign the dotted line. I'm booked with Jonah Stewart.

Nice! Jonah and the other guide (Luke Tyrell) in his area are both top notch and are offering the highest quality hunt for sheep within that portion of the Brooks. They are both taking great/old rams the past few years. You made a good choice and will have a great hunt!

OFFHNTN

WKR
Here are some of my bullet points on AK vs. NWT/Canada for Dalls:

AK-

*PRO - Ak is cheaper
*CON - You will probably see other hunters
*PRO - AK is US - Easier travel, easier to bring trophy home.
*CON - IMO the age class of rams in most areas is younger due to pressure.

NWT/Canada

*PRO - You will be hunting a HUGE hunt area pretty much by yourself and will more than likely see NO ONE else on your hunt.
*PRO - You will be hunting an older class of ram and typically see lots of sheep
*CON - All of the advantages over AK cost $$$

If it is "once in a lifetime" and cost isn't really a concern, I'd go to NWT. If the money is a limiting factor, go to AK and enjoy the experience. There are places in AK where you can get the NWT "experience", but you will pay for that as well. (One that comes to mind is Ultimate Thule)

Like I said earlier, I've done both and killed sheep in both, had great hunts in both, but the two experiences were very different. If you have specific questions, PM me. There are people with more experience than me on this topic, but I've done 11 sheep/goat hunts in the past and have a few more booked at this time, so I have some "field experience". Either way, no matter what you choose, you are going to have a "hell of an adventure"...Good luck!

Good post Cory!

MtGomer

WKR
In the Northwest Territories, each outfitter has an exclusive concession of thousands of square miles of prime habitat. It is possible for a Canadian citizen to hunt in that concession, but doesnt happen very often at all. Certainly no other outfitter would hunt there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He means you have to be a NWT resident to hunt unguided in that concession, not just a Canadian resident.
Very few people live in the NWT.

You won’t see anybody else on a hunt in the Mackenzies.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just one thing to point out, if you're hunting on Federal land (National Preserve) in Alaska there will only be one outfitter. It's a sole use concession and for the most part transporters (pilots flying resident hunters) stay out of their area. More specifically if it's a fly in area the only other person you MIGHT see is a private pilot who happens to be an AK resident. Even at that the guides are VERY territorial of the strips they pioneered and most folks stay on the outskirts.

State land as mentioned before is a free-for-all and you'll likely see other people.

OP
Marine4life
Thanks for all the input and PMs. I think I will expand my list to outfitters in the NWTs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I totally agree that Canada is far better than Alaska for a true wilderness experience. Everyone is talking NWT but Yukon has excellent outfitters and sheep also. I harvester a 13 year old ram with Blackstone Outfitters in what was the hunt of a lifetime. Could not recommend them more highly!

OP
Marine4life
So after checking into NWT there is definitely a big price different. It will be tough to do that difference so I think I will be sticking to Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I think when you compare the opportunity rates at legal rams the cost spread narrows a bit. At least from this bowhunters perspective, if you where rifle hunting it may not be as narrow

That was my only advice, do all in cost comparisons. After licenses, taxes, govt fees, travel etc the Canadian hunts are 10k plus more expensive that the solid sole use concession guys in Alaska.

If money were no object, you wouldn't be diving into these details and asking as Canada does offer the better odds at old age class animals.

PM me if you want to compare notes. I sat right where you are in January/February.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I so want to go on a sheep hunt and have some of these same questions. I too appreciate all the good info.
Now to just get the money together to book a hunt.