Dates for OnX maps

Jim Perry

FNG
Is there a way to know the date of an OnX map that one is looking at? I read that the maps are updated periodically, like every several years but I would like to know how old the map is.

taskswap

WKR
Hopefully somebody else will have a better answer, but there's at least an easy hack to get you in the ballpark. Just throw up the recent-burns overlay. That usually gets you within a few years if you scroll around looking for whether a burn from a known year is visible in the satellite view, and of course the foliage gives you the season.

OP
J

Jim Perry

FNG
No burns to look for here. I'm a Midwest grouse hunter, and look for certain age aspen stands, and timber cuts. I have seen cuts that are more than a couple years old that don't seem to be showing up on the maps I am looking at. Hence, the reason for my question.

taskswap

WKR
I don't use OnX anymore but last time I did their support was pretty good. If there are just one or two areas you're interested you might try contacting their support with the coordinates. But they might not even know themselves - they license aerial imagery from somebody like ESRI, just like everyone else does, and literally every "tile" can have a different date.

Most of the high-res stuff isn't actually "satellite" sourced, even though it's called that. Satellite still doesn't have that level of quality/resolution you can zoom into with OnX. You can immediately see the difference if you use their "historical imagery" tool because the historicals ARE all satellite, according to a blog post they had when they rolled it out. Most of the standard images are composites of thousands of photos taken on aerial flights flown over time, so you can imagine that there might not even be a definitive answer to knowing a single date for one "tile".

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Right now, there is not a way to know the date of the imagery taken on our standard basemap imagery. Our recent imagery feature does show you the two week period that those images were taken, but as noted above, they are of lower resolution. For Midwest grouse hunting, we definitely recommend using the Timber Cuts layer on National Forest, and if you hunt in Minnesota, we also have a Forest Disturbance layer there that shows logging activity on state, county, and some private lands. We also recommend checking out the Tree Species layers in the Trees, Crops, and Cover layer folder, particularly the Young Aspen Forests layer.

OP
J

Jim Perry

FNG
Right now, there is not a way to know the date of the imagery taken on our standard basemap imagery. Our recent imagery feature does show you the two week period that those images were taken, but as noted above, they are of lower resolution. For Midwest grouse hunting, we definitely recommend using the Timber Cuts layer on National Forest, and if you hunt in Minnesota, we also have a Forest Disturbance layer there that shows logging activity on state, county, and some private lands. We also recommend checking out the Tree Species layers in the Trees, Crops, and Cover layer folder, particularly the Young Aspen Forests layer.
Thank you very much for the reply. I hope the same information currently available for Minnesota can be made available for Wisconsin because we have so many state and county forests where timber harvests are part of the plan, that showing those cuts would be extremely useful to me. I have the layers turned on concerning tree species.

I'm still in the steep learning phase of understanding and using OnX. Most of my waypoints have been created on Garmin's Alpha 100. It would be great if they were importable to OnX.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much for the reply. I hope the same information currently available for Minnesota can be made available for Wisconsin because we have so many state and county forests where timber harvests are part of the plan, that showing those cuts would be extremely useful to me. I have the layers turned on concerning tree species.

I'm still in the steep learning phase of understanding and using OnX. Most of my waypoints have been created on Garmin's Alpha 100. It would be great if they were importable to OnX.
You can import them to onX. First, you'll need to export your waypoints off your Garmin onto your computer by using Garmin's Basecamp program This article will then walk you through the steps of taking those waypoints from your computer and importing them to your onX account: https://onxmapssupport.zendesk.com/...ups-Waypoints-Routes-Lines-Shapes-and-Tracks-