Why does the resolution on my Onx suck?

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Trees grow and clouds cover images. What you saw a couple of years ago has almost zero bearing on what you see today.

I think your expectations are just too high. Your only option is to subscribe to multiple mobile satellite imagery services and hope one is great where you are hunting at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So why is Google Maps clear and OnX isn't? That was my question.

If i need to utilize both thats fine, but not being able to find that trail sucked, and i know previously it was there, and shows up fine on Google.

Marshfly

WKR
Ok. So why is Google Maps clear and OnX isn't? That was my question.

If i need to utilize both thats fine, but not being able to find that trail sucked, and i know previously it was there, and shows up fine on Google.

They use totally different imagery from totally different providers on totally different dates the image was taken.

Marshfly

WKR
Google earth will ALWAYS have more detail than virtually anyone else. They simply can put more cash into getting phenomenal imagery.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
They use totally different imagery from totally different providers on totally different dates the image was taken.

Well, in that case the answer to my question would be that they use poor quality images.

My hope was that I was doing something wrong.

OnX has the location and is looking into it.

Marshfly

WKR
So maybe using both is the answer.

The issue is that google earth is not available without an internet connection. You have to use both at the house on a computer and mark the crap out of your OnX with things you find on google earth. Anything that could even possibly be of use needs to be marked.

wapitibob

WKR
I use GE without internet almost every day in hunting camp. Getting a sat imagery overlay into GE isn't something most will do but it's possible (lots of hours). GE will also load the imagery out of your buffer but the area is pretty small. All your other overlays, tracks, points, etc load fine in GE without service.
For scouting and prep work, do all your markups in GE and simply export the data into onx. You can organize into folders on both sides; GE and OnX. It takes some dedication but you can get just about anything into GE and with it's better sat imagery, it's my preferred method for e scouting. That said, the 3d terrain stuff is way easier in onx or gohunt if you use those features.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
The higher resolution and some of the maps options is the only reason I keep my Huntstand subscription. $29 a year or something like that.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I use GE without internet almost every day in hunting camp. Getting a sat imagery overlay into GE isn't something most will do but it's possible (lots of hours). GE will also load the imagery out of your buffer but the area is pretty small. All your other overlays, tracks, points, etc load fine in GE without service.
For scouting and prep work, do all your markups in GE and simply export the data into onx. You can organize into folders on both sides; GE and OnX. It takes some dedication but you can get just about anything into GE and with it's better sat imagery, it's my preferred method for e scouting. That said, the 3d terrain stuff is way easier in onx or gohunt if you use those features.

That's helpful. Thank you.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
So from this thread and communicating with Onx I now understand that Google Earth is just gonna be a better image.

From here I can adjust as I move forward using some of the advice I have received.

In the end I should have located that trail before relying on it, but I made it out no worse for wear.

Thanks everyone! Fatcamp

Idaboy

WKR
Downloaded map in high resolution evolution connected to wifi. Map sucks and I still can't see the jeep trail I needed.
Do you mean the satellite images are not up to par, or the topo? I am not sure OnX source for satellite images but I believe the data source is not Google earth, they always appear different and at a slightly different angle. I always compare OnX to GE when prepping maps, and use both the topo and satellite to navigate in the field.

Idaboy

WKR
There are probably better apps if you just want trails. I guess it depends on your intended goal for your mapping app...eg show property boundaries (OnX claim to fame), topo maps, trials/trail heads etc, terrain features. I find OnX my goto in the field, but use at least 4 mapping/imagery apps when e scouting and marking spots on my OnX for field use.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
There are probably better apps if you just want trails. I guess it depends on your intended goal for your mapping app...eg show property boundaries (OnX claim to fame), topo maps, trials/trail heads etc, terrain features. I find OnX my goto in the field, but use at least 4 mapping/imagery apps when e scouting and marking spots on my OnX for field use.

My concern was that I could see a trail on GE images that wasn't present on OnX. It's just not as good, and I can live with that.

I just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.