2023 Blacktail Success Thread

Filled my Oregon ML tag today, after 49 hours in the stand I finally got a shot at one. 30 ish yards following a doe.
I imagine that’s pretty exciting after that many hours in a stand, and then all of a sudden there’s a buck in front of you… trusting your strategy to that extent is pretty important chasing blacktail, pretty cool, congrats

That is a hunt I’m pretty interested in doing one of these years, though I think Oregon needs to adjust season dates that benefit short range weapons seasons (muzzy/bow)

I rifle hunt them most years and even at that, I would like to see rifle season end at the end of October… what they did this year makes no sense to me, you should have been hunting the beginning of Nov, as well as late archery units so those choosing the more difficult weapons are hunting peak buck movement rather than rifle hunters

Worm

FNG
I imagine that’s pretty exciting after that many hours in a stand, and then all of a sudden there’s a buck in front of you… trusting your strategy to that extent is pretty important chasing blacktail, pretty cool, congrats

That is a hunt I’m pretty interested in doing one of these years, though I think Oregon needs to adjust season dates that benefit short range weapons seasons (muzzy/bow)

I rifle hunt them most years and even at that, I would like to see rifle season end at the end of October… what they did this year makes no sense to me, you should have been hunting the beginning of Nov, as well as late archery units so those choosing the more difficult weapons are hunting peak buck movement rather than rifle hunters
There were a lot of mature bucks that hit the ground during the last few days of rifle season this year. The muzz season is really hit or miss from my experience. I seen a few mature bucks, but out of my muzz range. Hopefully ODFW gets their shit together to ensure some brood stock for the future.

JasonWi

WKR

It’s a mental grind for sure, but it absolutely works if a person doesn’t lose faith.

I’ve shot my last four bucks from the exact same tree stand. My parter killing another from the same tree.

The rut action has barely started in our area, hardly any chasing going on and big groups of does without any bucks in tow. I started to see a bit more the last two days

TripleJ

WKR
Nice bucks @Worm and @JasonWi

Muzzy hunting is a blast, my best buck ever was a muzzy buck. It would have been a good year for a muzzy tag in the areas I usually hunt, the big bucks have been cruising hard in the high country this last week.

JasonWi

WKR
Nice bucks @Worm and @JasonWi

Muzzy hunting is a blast, my best buck ever was a muzzy buck. It would have been a good year for a muzzy tag in the areas I usually hunt, the big bucks have been cruising hard in the high country this last week.
I like a specific date range and whichever weapon gets me closest to that date range is what I choose that season.

Or.hunter

WKR
d6fbde5caaf1c1c1bcc2288d9610ea64.jpg

99757d3001bdc4136057227d906bdfeb.jpg

My daughter’s Oregon youth buck from the day after thanksgiving. She earned this one too. Packed it out of a hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JasonWi

WKR
Congrats to you both! What a beautiful buck and a special time to spend with your daughter.

Even better that she packed him out and truly earned it and didn’t just drive up to him