Delorme inreach why buy now?

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
So garmin has bought inreach correct? I was going to buy one but now I would think they will come out with a great gps/inreach unit that will be way better than the current offering. Might as well wait for the new model to blow our minds?

dotman

WKR
I wouldn't expect anything soon, they did just release the new Rhino 750 & 755 which I would think would be the best platform to integrate the Delorme into but this is just a guess.

That said I fully think having them seperate is just a good idea, less battery usage and everything isn't in one device if it has issues.

I wouldn't expect anything soon, they did just release the new Rhino 750 & 755 which I would think would be the best platform to integrate the Delorme into but this is just a guess.

That said I fully think having them seperate is just a good idea, less battery usage and everything isn't in one device if it has issues.

This.

kodiakfly

WKR
Columbia bought Mountain Hardwear years ago, and they're still separate entities. I'd not wait for anything from the new merger, and even if they did, like said above, I like having my Delorme apart from my nav. And part of that is how I carry it and use the Bluetooth with my phone for actual use; meaning most of the time, my Delorme is tucked away somewhere and not easy to get to without unloading a pocket.

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting thoughts from everybody regarding wanting to keep the units separate. When they bought tektronics dog collars they made the gps tracked hound units so good after the merger. I guess I am by myself in wanting to carry less crap around. A do all that an be my phone, gps, and satellite seems very appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Interesting thoughts from everybody regarding wanting to keep the units separate. When they bought tektronics dog collars they made the gps tracked hound units so good after the merger. I guess I am by myself in wanting to carry less crap around. A do all that an be my phone, gps, and satellite seems very appealing.

While I am also hoping for a nice all-in-1 solution at some point. I do have to agree that for the time being, the inReach is nice to have separate. Just running the inReach alone in tracking mode every 10 minutes and maybe a couple messages, the battery lasts 3-4 days. Now, if that was combined with a GPS unit that was constantly being used, the battery would be draining quite a bit. Plus, as folks have mentioned before, if you get down to say, 25% battery on the inReach, you want to save that for emergency situations. However, if combined with a GPS, you might need to use that GPS to do your best to avoid an emergency situation. The other thing is they would need to have a unit that took replaceable batteries. I would want to know that I had a backup plan of a few AA batteries in my pack should I run the batteries out of the GPS/inReach combo unit.

Trial153

WKR
I agree a two for one would be excellent, however I just bought a SE and came home from ten days in Newfoundland ...the wife was happy getting a couple texts everyday ..made for better trip and homecoming among other things.
I have too more trips this year that it will come in handy on so I don't regret the purchase in the least

oenanthe

WKR
Funny how everybody wants something a little different ...

Me, I want a single unit. Why would I want two units with double the weight and double the chance of a failure?

Personally, I find the Inreach Explorer has almost all the GPS capability that I want, and it has the messaging capability that I *need* [because without it the wife would not be happy about my backcountry trips] :). And as far as battery life, I can go two full weeks and only use 25% of the battery. On a typical day I might send 2-3 messages, maybe get a forecast, and use the GPS for a few minutes to find camp or a food cache in the fog. That remaining 75% of the battery should be plenty for SHTF situations when I might be sending lots of texts and leaving the device on constantly.

It's probably safe to assume that Garmin will add more mapping capability to the Inreach. I'll still carry a paper topo map regardless, so I don't really need it. But if they can do this without impacting battery life I'm all for it.

dotman

WKR
I don't see how they could not impact battery life without adding a bigger heavier batter, probably end up close in weight as two seperate units.

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I bet there are big things in store with a company like Garmin backing R and D for an all in one product. the in reach already has GPS basic capability, i bet they make it awesome with advanced mapping features.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
After owning one I can't image not having one on hunts.

Instant peace of mind for the wife.

Ditto - between the messaging ability & Earthmate app paired on the iPhone, I love mine.

I for one think Garmin ruined the tri-tronics dog collars (for retrievers at least) so I'd buy an in reach now :)

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth about this same thing and finally bought one right before hunting season started this year. I won't go anywhere without my inreach now... I never realized how much I would pre-occupy myself thinking/worrying about things at home when I was out hunting. I initially bought it to keep the wife happy, but it wound up benefiting me just as much. If garmin comes out with a combo unit with similar battery life, I still may not upgrade. I pair the inreach with my cell phone and download topo maps through the earthmate app, I can't imagine garmin releasing anything better than that in the near future. If you have anyone that worries about you, or anything you worry about at home, get one. I don't think you'll regret it.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love the Delorme enough that I don't even use the Garmin anymore .. unless I am with someone that can only talk via Garmin Rhino. I don't turn on the inReach much , instead i use my phone for most all nav. I can get several days from the inReach , and a few with the phone. Between them, add in an Anker charger ... I don't need much for electronics.

Just guessing here, but I suspect Garmin buying Delorme has less to do with producing better products than being able to produce and sell the same ones in the future. One monopoly at a time . . .

Just guessing here, but I suspect Garmin buying Delorme has less to do with producing better products than being able to produce and sell the same ones in the future. One monopoly at a time . . .

It's a little of both. They pick up some access to technology and learning and features and will be able to integrate and offer more features faster than if they had just tried to do it themselves. Speed to market is important.

On that note I'll add that Garmin wouldn't have bought Tri-Tronics had SportDog not developed that track and train collar. It was a defensive acquisition for sure. Probably some similar things in play here. Maybe the DeLorme folks were just ready to get out, too. Probably not just one thing.