Desperately need help (corn tortillas)

Macintosh

WKR
Really need some help from the corn tortilla gurus here. Hoping there are some corn tortilla gurus here.

I really, really, REALLY like tacos. We're not going to be in either Mexico or the Southwest this year, but its one of the highlights of all of my trips to those areas is the food. Unfortunately in that respect, I live in the land that tacos forgot, i.e. Northern Vermont. I often use flour tortillas, and somehow, miracle of miracles, there is actually a local place that makes halfway decent flour tortillas. However, I think plotted on the globe, I live in the spot farthest from any decent corn tortilla on Earth.

I cannot get a corn tortilla that does anything other than taste and feel like rubber, or immediately cracks in half and crumbles into pieces the moment you look at it sideways. I have tried every brand of corn tortilla available locally, from the big-box grocery store brand, up to the local hand-rubbed artisinal ones made by wandering ascetics who coo gently at the taco to make it feel welcomed into the world. All of them do the same. I suspect some of it may be my preparation. Have tried warming on a cast iron skillet, putting in the oven on very low heat while in a covered skillet, slightly moist paper towel in the microwave, etc. Nothing changes. I have not made my own yet--I do own a tortilla press, just havent experimented with it.

So, Tortilla ninjas: Which tortillas, and how? I have a pork shoulder that's been braised all day in guajillos and onions that needs to be gently cradled in a delicious, warm, tender tortilla, hopefully WITHOUT SPLITTING OPEN AND LANDING IN MY LAP.

Any help, tips, recipes, brands to try, preparation secrets, snide remarks, etc are tremendously appreciated.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I gotta take the fifth on that one. Excellent solution, bravo, fantastic idea with a lot of merit. But that aint gonna work for me. Well, maybe it would, but I plan to eat said tacos with the current wife, and she doesnt share well.

My mexican wife of 25+ years makes her own tortillas both corn and flour. However, she also occasionally will buy store bought with the Don Pancho brand found here in Montana. In small packs of 8 tortillas they seem to do well being reheated regardless of their style, flour, corn, or combo. See if they have them back there...

She said you are probably overheating the tortillas so keep them on medium heat in your skillet. A Mexican thin metal Comal works best though. Buy one. Life changing for tortillas cooking. Also buy a tortilla warming container, cloth works best (like a big round mitten) but they also have them in foam and plastic.

I will send you my number so in worst case scenario my wife can talk you through it....

My mexican wife of 25+ years makes her own tortillas both corn and flour. However, she also occasionally will buy store bought with the Don Pancho brand found here in Montana. In small packs of 8 tortillas they seem to do well being reheated regardless of their style, flour, corn, or combo. See if they have them back there...

She said you are probably overheating the tortillas so keep them on medium heat in your skillet. A Mexican thin metal Comal works best though. Buy one. Life changing for tortillas cooking. Also buy a tortilla warming container, cloth works best (like a big round mitten) but they also have them in foam and plastic.

I will send you my number so in worst case scenario my wife can talk you through it....
Yes! A tortilla warmer changes the game!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

⬆️ This guy is correct if ⬇️ isnt an option.....

It's prolly too late for you to find a hot dark-haired Mexican girl who's still sweet and also good around a fire/heat source, but it's worth a try ...

Swamp Fox

WKR

See ... I told you ...

LOL

does she have a red pozole recipe she's willing to share?

BBob

WKR
I make my own. There is no substitute for homemade and they're pretty easy to make. I buy masa harina from the corner carneceria (Mexican market). Doesn't matter much as to brand as long as it's masa harina. Mix according to recipe attached below. Take a gallon ziploc and cut it down the sides. I press the individual balls between the Ziploc on a cutting board and press with the base of a small cast iron pan. The 6" is perfect as I can keep track of evenly pressing it. Bigger would work fine I'm sure. I cook them on an old Griswold cast griddle over a gas flame. Getting griddle temp right and keeping it there I would say is the biggest hurdle but not hard once you get going.

IMG_2569.jpegIMG_2570.jpeg

Attachments

• Corn Tortillas.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Titan

WKR
At one point Costco had both uncooked flour and uncooked corn tortillas. They still have the flour ones here.
Sprouts may carry the corn ones.

Much better than precooked and warmed.

AdamLewis

FNG
You have a tortilla press, which is pretty much all the equipment you need to make your own and is the highest cost item.

Go here: https://masienda.com/ and buy a bag or two of masa. You need a couple of plastic bags to line the press (HEB bags work best but any will do), some water and maybe some salt. Follow that Rick Bayless video above or look up one of Masienda's tutorials and you'll never have to worry about good tortillas again, regardless of where you live.

JFK

WKR
I always warm them up by putting them directly onto a gas burner on my stove. Flip them over and do both sides. Keep sn eye on them they go fast. Put those into tin foil with a cloth towel over it to keep warm. No issues with them falling apart.

My wife likes to use the Bueno brand. They are made here in NM. She seasons the hb with a seasoning I use at work then she spreads it thin on one side. Fries it in a little
bit of bacon grease. When it gets soft she folds it over and fries it longer to make it crisp. The meat cooks inside the tortilla. Then we add whatever ingredients we want on the inside. Usually lettuce, cheese, onion, and green chile. We use Masa to make tamales but it would work to make corn tortillas as well. The best thing about NM besides the elk hunting is the food!