Different ideas?

WCB

WKR
I "prefer" to hang out with people who have similar ideas, morals, hobbies, etc. as I do. I like having conversations on different views/ideas. And, I don't mind hanging out with others who have different ideas/thoughts, as I do in basic social settings or even family gatherings.

However, it is caveated with the view that if you are actively undermining my rights, freedoms, or support policy that I view as harmful to my children or family I do not have time for you and will not associate with you. Also, not to say I won't be respectful or civil but you get zero passes with me. I don't expect even "like minded" individuals to agree on everything 100% of the time. But a complete opposite view of the world sorry we aren't going to be friends.

But to a degree I'll listen to anybody as that is the best way to figure out their intensions/where they really stand on things.

My wife has an issue that I tell her about when I need to. She is a teacher and has a giant heart. When a kid is struggling at school or worst has a bad home life and bad parents. She'll a lot of time say things like "I don't get how parents don't think they need to help their kids." or "This kid needs a better home life. I don't get how parents....". I have to remind her that you don't get it because you don't think that way but you understand how it is happening because you talk to the parents at conferences and hear what they tell you. So you understand they are bad parent's and how they conduct themselves...you know what they think...but you will never know how they think that, and only people that think like them will know.

I am definitely more relaxed around people who think the way I do.

I enjoy discussing opposing ideas as long as the person I'm talking to is also being earnest and willing to have their ideas challenged. I would say I only really learned to be truly open to these discussions when I reached my 30's. Before then I was pretty dogmatic and couldn't do a good job of articulating why I thought the way I did. Sometime in my late 20's I began to really analyze why I held certain beliefs and try to understand opposing viewpoints.

One thing that drives me nuts is when someone has ideas that agree with mine but can't articulate why or can't point to any supporting data. It is most common in politics where dogmatically believing something is the norm. I prefer it when those who agree with me are able to defend the ideas in an intelligent way rather than look like idiots and thereby make the ideas seem stupid by association.

SonnyDay

WKR
if you are actively undermining my rights, freedoms, or support policy that I view as harmful to my children or family I do not have time for you and will not associate with you.
100% agree, personally. I'm kinda in the middle. But the far right and the far left also agree 100%.

There are insanely well-funded people/groups and poorly-understood technologies that are hell-bent on ensuring this division continues and accelerates.

Once they convince enough Americans that throwing our society away is worth it to achieve a political goal... it's done.

King George III gets his last laugh.

ODB

WKR
I am definitely more relaxed around people who think the way I do.

I enjoy discussing opposing ideas as long as the person I'm talking to is also being earnest and willing to have their ideas challenged. I would say I only really learned to be truly open to these discussions when I reached my 30's. Before then I was pretty dogmatic and couldn't do a good job of articulating why I thought the way I did. Sometime in my late 20's I began to really analyze why I held certain beliefs and try to understand opposing viewpoints.

One thing that drives me nuts is when someone has ideas that agree with mine but can't articulate why or can't point to any supporting data. It is most common in politics where dogmatically believing something is the norm. I prefer it when those who agree with me are able to defend the ideas in an intelligent way rather than look like idiots and thereby make the ideas seem stupid by association.

To your last point this is something I try to get my kid to understand. That if she can’t defend her position, does she really believe it? “Just because” isn’t a defense in my book.

I enjoy talking with people with whom I disagree provided things don’t devolve into talking points, or where a line of reasoning fails when applied to a different topic. Good conversations should challenge both people and both should come away slightly less sure of their position. That’s growth.