DIY Backpacking Meals, By Jake Lamphier

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Making your own DIY backpacking meals may seem complicated at first but Jake Lamphier (@lamp_ak) shows that it isn't as bad as you might think. He also shares a couple of his favorite recipes in his article DIY Backpacking Meals.

Jake Lamphier.jpg

Jake lives in rural Alaska and for the last 15 years has been hunting and fishing all across the state. Jake’s obsession with hunting is rooted in the prize of a full freezer and the adventures which bring that meat home. As an Alaskan resident, Jake is blessed with the opportunity to hunt many of North America’s most iconic big game, spending 70+ days a year in the field, living out of his pack, and roaming the wilderness of Alaska. In addition to being a die-hard DIY hunter, he also guides for Hidden Alaska Outfitters, helping people have an Alaskan hunting experience of their dreams!

Give Jake a warm Rokslide welcome and let him know what you think of his article.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the article. I agree with you about breakfast being the best meal to do well. I'll definitely be making the granola.

I'd love to make a breakfast scramble type meal. Have you tried dehydrating cooked eggs? Any tips?

lamp_ak

FNG
Thanks for the article. I agree with you about breakfast being the best meal to do well. I'll definitely be making the granola.

I'd love to make a breakfast scramble type meal. Have you tried dehydrating cooked eggs? Any tips?
Yes I’ve tried it and have not had much luck. Nothing that’s been a good enough result that was willing to pack it into the field. Rumor is Costco carries from time to dehydrated eggs for cheap and I hear the taste is good. Can’t find them in Alaska tho

Superdoo

WKR
My go to DIY is chicken alfredo potatoes.
I portion out instant garlic mashed potatoes, powdered milk, instant butter grits and dry Alfredo sauce packet.
I don’t dehydrate the can chicken so I just add it from a separate baggy when it’s time to cook.

lamp_ak

FNG
Thanks for the article, Jake.
What do you find is a good starting point on how much water to add for each when you reconstitute?
For the dinner it’s 12 ounces of water is about perfect. For the breakfast I’d say about a cup but you can adjust to whatever consistency you want.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Great article brother! What temp and time do you start your dehydrator for the chicken and for the lintels?

Great article Jake, thanks for the write up. I ditched the MH last year and went solely DIY meals for the same reasons.

I've been tinkering with different rehydrating methods and haven't decided which I like best. In the bag is convenient but like you said, gotta manage a mess of slimy bags. In my experience it takes more time and more fuel to fully rehydrate DIY dinners and I agree it works better right in the pot, but then there's a pot to clean which can be a pain depending on the meal and how much water I have in camp. I'm curious to know what methods or tricks you've come up with for rehydrating and clean up.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Right on. Great article. I’ve done similar for a long long time. Just typing “Mountain House” makes me dry heave. Just can’t take them any more. Just about any leftovers from your favorite meal at home can be dehydrated for the field. Important to chop them up in little pieces. My favorite is pot roast. Chili works out great too. My favorite is Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas.

When I’m in the field I never worry about putting too much water in as I never seem to get enough water in my system out there. If you put in too much it will be soupy; no problem. You can get the exact amount of water you need if you weigh your meal before you dehydrate, then weigh it again after. Weigh out that amount of water in a measuring cup and write it on your baggie. You get the feel for it after a few; I never bother anymore.

I now make coozies out of reflective bubble wrap or windshield sun reflectors. A little gorilla tape and a couple stick on pieces of Velcro and you are golden.

mikey

FNG
good article! love diy

the wife makes jerky at low temps in the oven and i've been doing noodles + mayo + canned tuna/sardines for short (1-2 nights) backpacking trips. cheap and delicious but very heavy of course, so going to step up to a dehydrator next

PNWGATOR

WKR
Excellent article. Thanks for a couple of new recipes to try as well! Hope others will share their ‘go to’ recipes on this thread as variety would be nice.

@greaseywater give Ovaeasy egg crystals a try in your home made scramble recipe.