DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

Rayjim3

FNG
Concur with that during the public hunts there are a lot of hunters. Typically further away from Jeep trails you walk the less their are.

The private areas are massive and only your party is allowed to hunt it so you won’t have competition in their. They cost more money than public hunts though but last year around and not based on lottery.

Also concur on the massive amount of deer out there. It’s pretty cool to watch hundreds of animals a day on the move. Finding that trophy and or getting a shot within the legal hunting boundary another story!

Another note.

My buddy who has hunted with me a handful of times on lanai (public and private) has since gone two or three times to Molokai. He said he much prefers Molokai. It does cost about 2-3 times as much and everything was guided but he said the opportunities on bigger deer where better and it was an all in kinda hunt that simplified transportation and housing issues some may run into on lanai. FWIW.
I’m completely new on here. Doing an axis private land hunt on lanai in July in rifle C. Only have two days so I’m trying to cut my learning curve down. Already have a room and a car and reservation. Any info you have on area C you could share would be appreciated. I can’t Pm yet so I’m just replying to your comment.

JNDEER

WKR
Been a while since I hunted C.

I liked to start first light closer to the airport parked and walk the road for a 1/4 mile glassing. Then head back to the vehicle and drive some then repeat. Most deer seen were a few hundred yards from the road and on the move. Mid day- long glassing sessions in the gulches under the trees made for easy spot and stalk rifle shots. Be ready for longer shots overall though- IMO.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Been a while since I hunted C.

I liked to start first light closer to the airport parked and walk the road for a 1/4 mile glassing. Then head back to the vehicle and drive some then repeat. Most deer seen were a few hundred yards from the road and on the move. Mid day- long glassing sessions in the gulches under the trees made for easy spot and stalk rifle shots. Be ready for longer shots overall though- IMO.
Concur with this. I don’t go too far east of the main road. I’ve never made it back more than a few miles.

The areas are pretty large. The best deer I’ve seen on the island are just north of B and C on the guided areas. Hoping always the make the mistake of crossing the road down south to B and C.

If you can try and look at imagery (google) and find some areas with good higher vantage points for glassing. Where you can look 1/2mi or more. Lots of deer out there you just need to see them move and get in a spot to shoot.

p0under99

FNG
Going to Maui at the end of April. Does anyone have any tips on which units are best to hunt? We’ll take any tips for any game. We just want the best experience

Going to Maui at the end of April. Does anyone have any tips on which units are best to hunt? We’ll take any tips for any game. We just want the best experience
only goat and pig can be hunted on Maui public land hunting areas. No deer. Don’t get me started on that logic considering the state government’s declared a “state of emergency” for 5 or 6 years now for the overwhelming deer numbers. But it’s a problem they don’t want to fix there. Can’t shed any light on the hunting areas other than I’ve been through the area on the northwest coast, saw goats, but it’s not a particularly friendly area to outsiders.

cfuentes

FNG
only goat and pig can be hunted on Maui public land hunting areas. No deer. Don’t get me started on that logic considering the state government’s declared a “state of emergency” for 5 or 6 years now for the overwhelming deer numbers. But it’s a problem they don’t want to fix there. Can’t shed any light on the hunting areas other than I’ve been through the area on the northwest coast, saw goats, but it’s not a particularly friendly area to outsiders.
Awesome!!!! I’m going to lanai this coming Wednesday for axis deer! I have no idea what to expect but I feel like I’ll get some more wisdom from this trip. Good luck on your hunt! 🤙🏻

Awesome!!!! I’m going to lanai this coming Wednesday for axis deer! I have no idea what to expect but I feel like I’ll get some more wisdom from this trip. Good luck on your hunt! 🤙🏻
Same to you man, try not to leave any deer for me, but I hope you do! I’m two weeks behind you, I head out there on the 19th. I have a buddy there now, I’m interested to hear from him at the end of the week with how things look out there.

if you want the best experience than you certainly don't want to be on maui public ground lol. can shoot a small stinky goat if you're lucky but the good pig hunting is with running dogs and knife and all the deer are on private.

i talked to a biologist today, you can 100% hunt dear in all public zones. Just not a lot of them

Idk what biologist you talked to. But here’s the current state hunting regulation for Maui. This is it, pigs and goats on public land.
View attachment 545117
Gotta admit I was wrong on this one, I have been overlooking that small print asterisked statement at the bottom of that page that says that you can actually hunt whatever deer you see in the Maui public areas. Now I have no idea if those areas actually hold any deer.

Last edited:

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just got back from Maui, I did do a Diy public land hunt out there. Hunted for one day only, and I can tell you I shot a MONSTER axis buck, but there is a lot more to the story unfortunately. I am going to have to do a full write up and start a thread on this one. It was a WILD RIDE.
I was up there yesterday in the pouring rain. No pigs or deer but saw lots goats. I’ve been up in that unit about 8 times since it opened and have yet to see a deer.

I was up there yesterday in the pouring rain. No pigs or deer but saw lots goats. I’ve been up in that unit about 8 times since it opened and have yet to see a deer.
That's a bummer man. Another local I know has been hunting there 25 years and he has never seen a deer there and he hunts in the same exact area. I'm fortunate to have seen 20+ deer that day.