Do everything pack ( kifaru)

oldgoat

WKR
I don't have any of the bags on your short list, I have Nomad, a Cargo Panel and my wife has the Apollo. For me to consider it an "everything" bag it would have to be the Nomad or the other one that has the wings ( can't remember model name)you can strap stuff under. To me do everything means, hauling turkey blind, tree stand, backpack hunting etc...

Chris Roe

FNG
I'll add a vote to the AMR... I wanted exactly what you wanted, and did a TON of research, contemplating, waffling back and forth, and am SOOooooo glad I went with the AMR. I can do everything from quick over-nighters, to 7+ day extended trips, and it handles it all. For a DO ALL pack and frame, I have no reservations with recommending the AMR with the frame and a couple of belt pouches. ...and for me, the included THREE cinch straps were exactly what I like to have when lashing things to a pack, or cinching a large pack down to day-pack mode.

Now... if we're talking a "do-all" pack for over-night trips and day-trip hunts, I'm really digging on the Tarryal right now! Hope that helps!

LiquidGib

FNG
I like my AMR. Everything is kept real neat no matter what mode you are running, which is important for me. I haven't had any other pack to compare it to, but based on photos and research I think I went with the right pack that suits me best.

My buddy and I have had every hunting pack Kifaru makes. We both went back to the T2. No matter what you choose, you'll have no issues offloading it to try something else.

welpro222

WKR
I have the Nomad/camp bag, DT1, Tac warrior, and the argali w/ custom center zip. I find it very hard to choose one because they all have there + and -'s (weight, pockets, plain, better daypack mode, etc) The DT1 is pretty much a do all, one and done pack. Most likely the Nomad will be going with me this year because I like the option of dropping off my camp bag at camp and using the Nomad as a daypack with awesome load hauling capabilities combined with the cargo panel or grab it. If you need a bigger bag opening and a bigger bag in general, then the AMR is a great choice. I sold my AMR awhile back, I never got a chance to try it out. I felt like the Argali with pockets would serve me just as well as the AMR would.

Last edited:

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
A do everything? For me the dt1 is great. I like the newer packs but can't find a reason to make the switch. Dt1 is versatile with a couple pockets and grab it or by itself. Everything is easy to access too. Just another opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Cory Arola

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Nomad and an AMR. Most of the time I am rockin the Nomad and Guide Lid until I get to about 7 days then I prefer the AMR. I also prefer the AMR if it is winter and I use a 4 season tent and bulkier sleeping bag. Both packs are great in daypack mode and get huge when needed.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
If you aren't set on a "pack" how about a frame and Cargo Panel. You can add pouches and a duffel bag/camp bag and make it as large or small as you want. I went this route and although I love my Spike Camp, it gets left behind a bunch now given the versatility of the frame, CP and bag.

Just got an AMR, have put about 18 miles on it. I'm liking it a lot. I can't imagine not having access only through the top. It compresses pretty well, but it's still big. However, on my budget, I had to choose one, so I went with it because it's large enough for anything I could ever want, but compressible. I bought two spotting scope pouches to go on the outside, and one thing to keep in mind when the pack is compressed is that there's no webbing matrix available to attach those pockets. Well, it's there, but it's all convoluted and they don't fit nicely on the sides of the pack as I thought they would. They'll work well when it's full though. I have a guide lid, which is great, and two large belt pouches, which are awesome for small items you want close at hand all the time: GPS, point and shoot camera, extra shells, etc. It think the belt pouches are essential because the belt is wide enough on the duplex frame that it pretty effectively seals your pants pockets, so no quick draw there.
The bottom of the two integral pockets is the most accessible, requiring no straps to be unbuckled to gain access. The top integral pocket is mostly covered by the lid.
It's definitely more fiddly to get into the main compartment with the pack compressed. The zip to access the bottom of the bag doesn't slide as easily as it would if it was expanded (like sliding the zipper slider over a roller-coaster). The guide lid slides down too far, exposing the draw cord closure of the top of the bag if you're not careful. Even with the top/front/hinge lid straps tightened all the way (maybe I'm doing something wrong there, but it's not too complicated). However, I don't think these problems are avoidable on any pack that's not loaded out to at least half its volume capacity. I am impressed with how much you can control the vertical placement of items in the main compartment of the pack by trapping them between compression straps.
I don't have any experience with the other models, and have limited experience with this one, but these are my initial impressions.
Someday I'd love to buy or make a smaller daypack size bag or get a Tarryall, but for now, I'm happy with the AMR and will continue to tweak loading it compressed to maximize ease of access to my most frequently-used gear on day trips.

Brendan

WKR
I have several used Kifaru bags I'm trying out - Mountain Warrior, Rambler, Cargo Panel + pockets. If I had to choose right now though it'd be my EMRII. Collapses down to the size of the frame, and expands huge...

bcimport

WKR
I have had a HC4800, EMR2, and still have a cargo panel and argali. I think I'm actually going to run the cargo panel with a dry bag and guide lid for all my hunts this year. Spotter pocket on the back when needed and givr. I have played with lots of options over the years and really liked running a crew cab like this too. Camp and important gear are always dry and the thing compresses or grows as required and is simple as dirt. Not selling the argali but I see the CP getting the nod most of the time.