Do I need a new bow?

PhlyanPan

FNG
I currently have the same bow I got as a christmas present in college (2002 ish?). It's a hoyt magnatec single cam (redline). I was planning to use this for my first elk hunt out west but I'm being strongly encouraged by a friend who bowhunts that I really should be looking to upgrade. What say ye?

Full disclosure I don't bow hunt a lot. In the last 6-8 years I've probably been out less than 10 times. For some reason I just seem to be busy that time of year and don't get out as much as I'd like (2 young kids might be a part of it). I have pulled it out and started shooting it every night in the basement (10 yards) and I can still shoot it ok.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
DO you need to? Not really. However, You could pick up a used bow that is 2-4 years old and it would be dramatically different than your current one, IMO. Draw cycles, let-offs, just the general feel has changed.

If you are not that crazy into it, like I said, look at a used bow. Heck, you can get on ebay right now (or one of the archery forums) and find killer deals on bows that are only a few years old.

And all the companies have really good mid range bows now ($500 range).

There are a lot of guys in my area that will not give up their 10ish year old bows, they just work for them. Also, they don't want to pay the prices for new bows. I think I restrung about 10 bows last summer that were in the 8-15 years old range. They just don't want to give them up.

The most important thing will be to have a bow that you are comfortable with and making sure you are accurate. I would probably just get a new string and look at upgrading some components. For the sight would be a good place to spend some money.

87TT

WKR
Yes, you need a new bow. It being your first elk hunt, you will soon be hooked and it probably won't be your last. Then the addiction begins.

Need? No, your 2002 Hoyt is perfectly capable of killing an elk.

However, there have been significant changes in bow design since your Hoyt was made that have enabled significantly higher speeds and higher let-offs. You could likely find a 2-3 year old flagship model for $400-500 bare and realize almost all the benefits of the advances made in bow technology since 2002. The classified ads here on Rokslide and other forums like Archery Talk are a good place to look for used bows, as well as archery groups on Facebook.

Mt Al

WKR
The most important thing will be to have a bow that you are comfortable with and making sure you are accurate. I would probably just get a new string and look at upgrading some components. For the sight would be a good place to spend some money.

I kept an old bow for a long time, no regrets. Like cuttie recommended, I bought a new sight for it and used it a few more years. I should have re-strung it also. Bought my first new bow in about ten years just after the season, moved my sight over to it and am enjoying learning the new system.

If money's tight, I'd just send your current bow to the hair dresser, get her all primped and cleaned with and new sight and keep the love alive! If money's not tight, you definitely need a new bow, no question.

jmez

WKR
No, you don't need a new bow. Yours will work fine. I would put the money toward something else for the hunt and use what you have.

rodney482

WKR
A huge mistake guys make is constantly switching bows.
However, lots of improvements in the last 18 years.

OP
P

PhlyanPan

FNG
I see multiple mentions of a new sight. What should I be looking at and how will it be better than what I have? The sight I have is a 3 pin that I put on somewhere around 2006-2008 I think. It originally came with a crosshair style sight that I didn't care for much.

I see multiple mentions of a new sight. What should I be looking at and how will it be better than what I have? The sight I have is a 3 pin that I put on somewhere around 2006-2008 I think. It originally came with a crosshair style sight that I didn't care for much.
Movable pin(s), multi-axis adjustability, built-in bubble level, micro adjustment knobs for gang windage/elevation, and ability to mount a battery-operated light to illuminate pins (illegal for hunting in some states) are all common features of newer top end sights that might not be present on an older sight. Black Gold, CBE, HHA, Spot Hogg (and others) make sights with those features.

I upgraded from a plain jane fixed 5-pin to an Option Archery 8S a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. The Option sight is unique in its hybrid design that includes true fixed pins plus one independent movable pin. It was pricey, but I intend to stick with it for a long time.

Rob5589

WKR
Need? No. It could surely use some new threads and a tune. As far as sights, budget will determine selection. You can go with a 50 dollar Tru Glo or a 300 dollar Spot Hogg. I would look for something in the middle. Although dropping 200+ isn't a bad thing as you can move it to a new bow at some point.

As previously stated, there have been many improvements since that bow was built. Nothing wrong with something a few years old, either.

87TT

WKR
Yes, you need a new bow. It being your first elk hunt, you will soon be hooked and it probably won't be your last. Then the addiction begins.
Thought about it more as I was out shooting a little bit ago. If you want to keep it, Get it tuned with new springs. Then maybe a good drop away rest if it doesn't have one. If you like the sight, keep it but some of the newer ones are way better (brighter etc.) If your bow doesn't have one a string stop bumper will help with the shot and noise.

OP
P

PhlyanPan

FNG
It's not that I want to keep it, it's just that I'd love to not have to spend the money. I've got plenty of other gear to purchase still and this is one I wasn't planning on.

87TT

WKR
As long as you're 100% confident in it and know your limitation, Use it. If not, I would consider upgrading components or the whole thing. I shot a bull three years ago (my first) and lost it. I was using my old Redhead (Basspro) bow. I had an issue with the string stop that was torn and threw my shot off. Long story short, I found the bull a couple of weeks later by birds and it had a bear sitting on it.
Point is, I have that string stop on a plaque over my work bench that says "NO EXCUSES". You are going to have a lot invested in the trip as it is but Just be sure when shot comes if you are lucky enough to get one, not to have to blame your equipment. Good luck.

Rob5589

WKR
It's not that I want to keep it, it's just that I'd love to not have to spend the money. I've got plenty of other gear to purchase still and this is one I wasn't planning on.
Nothing wrong with that. Hey, I have a 4 pin Apex fiber optic sight that is collecting dust. Yours if ya want it.

aGK9DNsREppRre9lZCFr0SJiLpkk4U11YcT2065v1hMWYNRiaH4oh_lDM5u1VZOBeRUUoSa0aYVi9j6EvrTcvKgqitFITCUZIb_dTFFmetxgtc0nlXPCT2kCiABaz6me9hkedoQUjFuUD4kJulbJ2KIsJTxqOBlx1NKt_kaElttBv7gNwQ_caPVgSqr-jC6Vu6wUTrPdUDj0UIJCbqJeKqBdvMaYXskG-Kjj0dcjJtfPPoGtK0yWU5fivqaeeLQilHXyffcS40BuOJkrzZ0BHBqpB3-oKONQu30Gj3GLNevuMYb3g0uRpjoIa89GgPNW21BKg8lg4D8c-lI2jVig1bX_yw4HR6JYdHIVSgjU0SXGrrhtHHOaebeebs77gFle9weLRp0fQExEvOd-IOPMJuHvJni_LySAydP86H8KnggDYxtLLQmanK5F5c4QdnOu3L_FRCnID7_Q5_1My7wRP-e_mn4zmzpIfFIRiPZP3aX702YPrd4AqgNYD9MmEx6DI-EA2YWY2NfzfIkLho7Kf93kPv3HGjnKKQ89_zrnvR_4CrZ4N74nKiewXHk-GMHjiU2y4NeOf73YqvoqoB67sMgXY8ALhNErbLsA7rtr63FEGlnPtjxjRyRrQpm1HrDbEINGmORCD8Ia24YznOQegsBQ4naCmoQN3x38tSG-TIkiL8pW4sFKFA=w469-h625-no

Last edited: