Quietest bow???

Currently shooting 2015 hoy Nitrum bu am noticing it seems to be getting loud. Thinking about trying out a Mathews, as they seem pretty darn quiet, dead in the hand, and smooth. What's your opinions on the quietest bow in the last 2-3 years-current?

Surprised they actually don't advertise as the most quiet.... It would be a great selling point I would think.

fatlander

WKR
They’re all quiet now. Mathew’s isn’t noticeably quieter with the exception a couple of the longer carbon risers, and they’re dang sure not smoother to draw than most other companies flagship bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Maybe figure out why your current bow is getting loud and correct that? Could be as simple as the cams not being synched or a loose accessory.

I don't think that Matthews are appreciably quieter than any of the other top bow manufacturer's bows.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
Most noise is due accessories. Tap around and see where the noise is coming from. IMHO 2015 to 2024 isn't that huge of a jump in flagships. People perceive these new bows as a barebow at the shop with a wisker biscuit on and compare that to a fully decked out bow with a drop away on it.

Before you buy a new bow you might try out some Hitek accessories. String stop, dampener weight and then put some monkey tails on your string. See where that takes you.

I agree with what others have posted. Try tightening the screws on all your accessories and make sure your bow cams are good and its not cam lean or bad bushings. If its noticeably louder something is happening with it.

Surprised they actually don't advertise as the most quiet.... It would be a great selling point I would think.
Most bow manufacturers brag about quietness in their advertising word salads. Some examples from the current crop of flagship bows:
"deadly quiet" (Mathews Lift)​
"monumental improvements on silence, vibration" (Hoyt Alpha X)​
"the silence is deafening" (PSE Nock 30)​
"whisper quiet shot" (Elite Ethos)​

Until they start publishing decibel measurements (at a standardized arrow weight), their claims are just more unsubstantiated marketing fluff. IMO you likely won't find an appreciable difference in noise between any two modern bows (your Nitrum included) if they're both tuned, set up with similar accessories, and shooting the same weight arrow.

Last edited:
JB I spent the past 3 years searching for a Nitrum 34. Found one luckily but gave it to my son who decided he wanted to get back to shooting. He bought a string set from Catfish Customs and we did the work last weekend. The bow is super quiet without whiskers or any string silencers at all. If you want a new bow by all means get after it but I honestly think the Nitrum is a super quiet bow with a good string set and the cams timed properly.

nitrums were great bows but the last 5 years i think mathews wins the quietest. definitely the most popular brand in my area for axis deer bc of their quietness. anything after the triax is solid.

OP
Justin Byers
So I am a tuning junkie, have my own press, and definitely use high-end equipment. As far as arrow weight, I’m shooting for 585 grains, so I know that’s not the problem. I also have a string leeches on there and always ensure that the cams are timed. It just seems to be a loud bow compared to the newer stuff that’s out there. L I had a 350”+ bull this year broadside at 60. Made a great shot, in a millisecond before the arrow got there he ducked in the whirled like a Whitetail. It was an extremely quiet morning, and there’s zero doubt in my mind he heard my bow go off, or at least arrow coming to him. I shoot 4 fletch 2.75” Vanetec. Two years ago I stopped in the shop and shot that your swag ship bows. The Mathew’s just seemed extremely dead in the hand and very quiet. I figure I’m Nine years out from my last new bow, so I would think the technology has improved a little.

fatlander

WKR
So I am a tuning junkie, have my own press, and definitely use high-end equipment. As far as arrow weight, I’m shooting for 585 grains, so I know that’s not the problem. I also have a string leeches on there and always ensure that the cams are timed. It just seems to be a loud bow compared to the newer stuff that’s out there. L I had a 350”+ bull this year broadside at 60. Made a great shot, in a millisecond before the arrow got there he ducked in the whirled like a Whitetail. It was an extremely quiet morning, and there’s zero doubt in my mind he heard my bow go off, or at least arrow coming to him. I shoot 4 fletch 2.75” Vanetec. Two years ago I stopped in the shop and shot that your swag ship bows. The Mathew’s just seemed extremely dead in the hand and very quiet. I figure I’m Nine years out from my last new bow, so I would think the technology has improved a little.

585 grains is getting on the pretty heavy side. Being a yard off or a the shot breaking slightly off target makes a bigger difference when your arrow is slow.

What’s your draw length and what was on the front of the arrows they ducked?

Luked

WKR
Have you heard how your fletchings are as far as sound. Or the arrow as it flies.
The bow has a lot to do with it but so does the sound of the arrow going through the air.
Some Broadheads are also louder than others as well as fletchings.
Something else to concider other than just the bow.
I shoot a Mathews V3X 33. 70lbs and was shooting a 515 gr arrow. It was quiet. Dropped my arrow to 460 and its still quiet but picked up some speed which is what I wanted.

OP
Justin Byers
585 grains is getting on the pretty heavy side. Being a yard off or a the shot breaking slightly off target makes a bigger difference when your arrow is slow.

What’s your draw length and what was on the front of the arrows they ducked?

80lbs - DL is 30.5" - Shooting Easton Axis 5mm Pro grade - 50 grain brass inserts with aluminum footers - Rage Hypodermic

nphunter

WKR
Sometimes they just jump, could have also saw the release and jumped. I’ve killed elk at 10 yards that didn’t react to the shot and have had them spin at 40+. You will never make a bow quiet enough to matter and the arrow flying toward them will almost always be louder than the bow.

State48

FNG
Been using a cabelas bow for a couple years now has two javelina knocked down. Not quiet at all😆 but still gets the job done.

fatlander

WKR
I don’t think you’re going to get anything that’s significantly quieter than what you’ve currently got. Sometimes they just move. That’s part of bow hunting.

Bump79

WKR
80lbs - DL is 30.5" - Shooting Easton Axis 5mm Pro grade - 50 grain brass inserts with aluminum footers - Rage Hypodermic
Just out of curiosity, what speed are you getting?

Yeah, 9 years is a decent jump for sure. Not mind blowing - but a difference. I just picked up a 2022 model after years with my 2016. I was actually surprised at how well my old bow held up draw cycle, speed, noise, etc. It's so negligible it made me question buying it lol