Do western hunters long for eastern hunts

GregB

WKR
I'm not giving up 4 months of deer season with unlimited tags for 30 days OTC.
I can take 2 weeks in the mountains and nearly hunt half the season.

So what do you guys do for the other 11 months besides shovel snow and cut wood?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Archery in September, rifle for my kid in October, duck and goose the rest of the winter, bear and turkey in the spring, backpacking and fishing in the summer. 2 deer or one elk will last us all year, so there is no need to fill 8 or 10 deer tags.

Gobbler36

WKR
The east sucks. Really sucks. Don’t even bother. No Public Lands. No animals. It’s horrible. Tree huggers everywhere.

Please, do yourself a favor....stay west of the Mississippi.
Hahaha I see what you’re doing here
It’s how I feel about western hunting
No game, tree huggers everywhere, public land full of wolves and and grizz behind every bush
Nothing tho see here move along

elkyinzer

WKR
What's considered by geographers the most mountainous (least flat) state in the US? Hint: it's east of the Mississippi.

Yes, hunting the same foodplot the rest of my life is my vision of purgatory. The perception that there is no active, wilderness, or adventure hunting in the east is completely bogus.

Having grown up here I'll never not enjoy whitetail rut hunting. Or the tradition and camaraderie of deer camp.

I can see not really having the desire to hunt the East. Not everyone can shake it. Few of the best experiences here have been glamorized to the extent of the fancypants western boys #stayhumble. A lot of western hunting is quite easy by comparison. We certainly don't have the diversity of species or the most high glamour species that take 37 years to draw or 5 figures to buy or moving to third world living conditions in the Arctic circle.

No reason to hate treestand hunting. Yeah, we have trees and brush here and its usually the right tool to get the job done. To me its less boring than glassing.

You western boys just need to stay out west. Our tiny deer are not worth your drive. Those bears are really just urban legends. And we have very little public land, and what little we have has hunter per square mile density greater than the game populations.

Fitzwho

WKR
Not exactly "longing" for, but have a few that I would like to do eventually:
Maryland Sika Deer
Eastern and Osceola Turkeys
North Carolina Black Bear
Whitetails in Missouri, Iowa, and Ohio
Eventually would like to say that I have taken a big game animal from every state. But seems like I can only draw tags in Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado (second year in a row that I will hunt all three).

Eagle

WKR
Where in CO are there no mosquitoes? I thought they were your state bird.

Areas along the front range are mosquito free. Where I'm at, Castle Rock, is fairly arid (though this year has been an exception), over the last two summers I've had one, mosquito bite around my house. The mountains are another story, but that's the case for all of the areas I've been within the Rockies during the summer months of June/July/August until a hard freeze kills them for the season.

hobbes

WKR
Grew up and spent the first 36 years of my life in Southern IL. Loved big whitetails and Eastern turkeys. I've been out West for 13 years with no desire to move back "home". However, Montana whitetail bowhunting is not Midwest corn fed whitetail bowhunting in November. The pile of text messages with updates and photos of friends and family with rutting whitetails does make me long for a tree stand in Southern IL. A hunt for an Oceola in South Florida sounds good too. None of it is enough for me to leave Montana.

Trial153

WKR
Why? In all honestly there are about 5 tags east of the Mississippi worth hunting.....they shall remain nameless

Kilboars

WKR
10 min uber ride from the airport to Palm Beach FL fort the best sports fishing on the East Coast that you can kaiak to and then chill out at The Breakers Hotel right on the beach or Mar a Lago if you have the coin. Osceola turkeys and year round hog hunting is always a plus. but don't tell anyone.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I Cant help but ponder this from my few years of studying and learning in preparation to hunt out west. Any of you guys who live out west have dream hunts that can only be found here in the East or South?
I love that you asked this question. Thanks for the laughs. It definitely exposed a bias!

I'd be interested in Canadian black bear, hog hunts, gator hunts, and spearfishing in FL and the Bahamas. Of course if you go far enough east you can get into some pretty cool stuff in Greenland, Africa, Central Asia.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Just for For giant tunas lol, but serious that’s definitely on the bucket list , Wicked 😉

Went back last year and shot a buck in CNY, the only thing I miss about hunting in the east is hunting with old friends and family. Other than that, I had more fun chasing muleys all over than sitting in one spot all day
Im from CNY and somehow manage to shoot decent bucks every other year or so. It has gotten better with big bucks but worse with turkeys. Hoping to make my way out west again next year. So much nicer out west!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DaveDeli

FNG
It seems to a little easier to hunt/fish with your buddies here in the east...when you want a change from the solitude of hunting the Rockies115903115904

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grew up in ca in 70s army brat then down to fort Stewart and hunter army airfield hunted pigs and little deer always had ticks chiggers humidity and snakes hated it moved to nwest in 80 will never leave...only thing good down in savannah was the southern drawl girls and daisy dukes 👍

tdhanses

WKR
I think gator hunting could be interesting but it isn’t high on the list.

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
All of my hunting has been done in Virginia or West Virginia. I don't (so far) bow hunt, but I've killed a lot of deer without ever having been in a tree stand. We get an early muzzleloader season followed by general firearms taking up most of November with a late muzzleloader in December. I've never been bitten by a mosquito in the mountain areas I hunt. I remember one morning the day after Thanksgiving when it was 9 degrees when we got out of the truck, and my some of the most activity I've seen is right after a snow squall comes through.

My dream hunt is for sheep, NWT, Yukon, or Alaska, and my chances are dwindling fast for any of those. I'd love to go West and Try muleys or elk, guess my chances are better for those. I really enjoy reading about y'alls experiences out there. But I'm going to look at my half full glass and enjoy our mountains and what they have to offer.

woody6899

FNG
Tree stand white tail hunting is about as interesting as watching bass masters. A moose in Maine or turkeys in the hardwoods would be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk