Do you use dry sacks for sleeping bags?

mattfish

FNG
I was just wondering as a FNG how do you pack your sleeping bag to prevent it from getting wet? Do you use a compression dry sack or no? I am not really sure of how guys with experience do this to protect your bags.

i use a dry sack with event. my down bag compresses well enough in this that i dont need an actual compression sack. i used to used one and found it wasnt necessary.
i still use a dry compression sack on synthetic bags.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use a dry bag for our bags and pads....another dry bag for our puffy clothes. I basically don't except my pack to keep anything important dry so if I want it dry I put it in a dry bag.

OP
M

mattfish

FNG
Thanks guys I dont wnat to pack anymore then necessary so I thought I would ask. Im headed to Colorado next year on first back country hunt.Gathering gear now to try through spring and summer.Anyone have experience with sea to summit evac compression/waterproof bags? I am not sure how big /small of a dry sack I need.

OP
M

mattfish

FNG
Will a 10l bag be big enough for a regular length down bag , a ptarmigan bivy and a slleping pad?

Lawnboi

WKR
what down bag and pad your running? 10l is pretty small

Usually bigger is better for a sleep system dry bag. Squeezing a little air out of a big bad is a lot easier than trying to stuff your stuff in a little one.

I've used a sea-to-summit ultralight dry bag ever since my teenage son completely soaked his down bag during a backpacking trip. During the same trip my down bag was in a Kifaru 5-string stuff sack and stayed dry. Maybe he sat down in the water or something.

We use the sea-to-summit ultra-sil dry sacks in a larger size (maybe 20 Liter). Only adds a couple ounces.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just use a waterproof pack it makes things much simpler. I may have a sack for a tent that may be wet so it doesn't get the other stuff wet.

OP
M

mattfish

FNG
thanks guys. I wasn't sure what size to buy. Like everyone else I have spent some cash buying gear and I want to keep mistakes to a minimal.

Stid2677

WKR
While not really large enough for most sleeping bags,, oven baking bags, like the ones you bake a turkey in make great lightweight waterproof bags for stuff like extra clothes and puffy gear. They are extremely light and tough, I use rubber bands to keep them closed. Just a tip for those trying to cut weight.

One of the reasons I like my Kifaru KU5200 so much is once I seam sealed it, it was mostly waterproof. Water just seems to find a way in, so I like to use at least 2 levels of protection for items like my sleeping bag.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess maybe we are just rough on stuff, but there is no way I would trust an oven bag to keep things like my spare clothes or puffy stuff dry. I have seen those bags rupture in the oven on multiple occasions from steam alone. Maybe as a liner inside another dry bag, but never as the primary way to keep water out of essential gear. For much of the season, we plan on getting our everyday clothing wet, but this is only an option because I know I have dry socks, dry base layers and dry puffy clothing to wear at night. A slip during a creek crossing (or an overturned packraft) means anything that isn't 100% waterproof is going to be soaked. The 55L OR dry comp only weighs 7 oz, and while I imagine the oven bags are lighter, the assurance of dry gear is well worth the extra ounces to me.

Hopping on here.

I like the big bag idea by Becca but what size for the bag compartment on a kifaru dt2?

So a 20l for a helium membrane and then just push the air out? Anyone know if the stuff sack that comes with the helium bag is waterproof?

Mike

AndyB

WKR
Stuff sack with my Helium isn't water proof. Put it in one of my Kuiu stuff sacks and it stayed dry in some real heavy rain.

Stid2677

WKR
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating using oven bags as a stand alone dry bag, just as a back up and as a second means as I always use 2 levels of protection. Even the best and toughest dry bags can get pin holes. Also on my last hunt my OR bag I use for meat had a total failure. I use the OR bags as dry bags for gear until meat is made then I use them as a pack liner to get the meat back, nice to have something to keep gear dry while packing back to camp. While I too have had them fail while cooking, I have never had one fail while using it packing or when I use them as liners when brining meat, I think the heat may play a part in this. I picked one up from a bucket the other day full of brine and 2 pork butts.

When buying the OR bags be aware there are at least 2 different ones they sell, the lighter ones have a ripstop fabric and the more durable ones have loops sewn to them.

These are the ones best for meat packing, (for packing only, not a game bag).

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/durable-dry-sack-5l.html

These are the lightweight rip stop ones, not strong enough for meat packing, but good for gear.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/ultralight-dry-sack-1l.html