Late Season Sleeping Bags

Looking for a new sleeping bag setup for late season backpacking hunts. Currently looking at 0 degree bags (SG Chilkoot + Kifaru Slick Bag). Could anyone shed any first hand experience with these bags and maybe some pros and cons you’ve found? Also do you guys prefer 0 degree vs 15 degree and layering up? If you have any other suggestions let me hear ‘em! Also running a Neo-Air Xtherm for a pad on these hunts. Thanks in advance everyone!

Almost anything besides a Slik bag, seriously. A top quality zero degree down bag is the way to go if it's actually going to be cold. Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering are the best of the best and made in America. Stone Glacier is great but not USA made.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I have a first generation 0 degree slick bag and a western mountaineering 0 degree bag. Night and day difference between these two bags. The slick bag packs down small and is well built, but never kept me warm when the temperature dropped below 20 degrees even with clothes on. I got the WM bag and have stayed plenty warm down to its rated temp without coats and pants on, which is way more comfortable for me and I got better sleep because of it. I don't plan on getting rid of either bag but when it's cold out I am taking the WM bag.

OP
D
Thanks guys. Been looking at the WM bags. Seems like people say nothing but good things. Any thoughts on 0 degree vs 15 degree bags in Mid Oct-Nov?

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my WM bag in warm weather a lot. I just unzip it and use it as a quilt when it gets too warm. This works well for me. When it gets cold, I run it as a mummy bag. Having a zero degree bag is overkill most of the time, but I have not regretted having the extra warmth when I needed it.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading back to AK beginning of May. I got a new never used 0 degree Chillkoot there that I am planning on selling. Gonna get a 15 degree instead. If you are interested you can PM me.

RoseAllen

Lil-Rokslider

I am looking at these bags Cumulus Teneqa 1000. You can customize them like some of the bigger U.S. company use to.​

Dood58

FNG
I just ordered myself a Cumulus Panyam down bag. Really liked that I could customize it the way I wanted.

Jbow387

FNG
Been rocking the chillicoot 15 degree for a few years now. Packs down tiny, doesn‘t weigh much and has kept me plenty warm except one trip when it was below zero, my feet were getting cold late in the night. If its real cold ill wear my base layers inside. Little pricey but if it keeps me comfortable where I can get some good rest 100% worth every penny.