Draging/Packing Out Deet

jspradley

WKR
I live in TX...we just drive the ATV up to it and load it up whole...lol.

But seriously..I haven't packed any big game out yet but I do know dragging any big game SUCKS!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kpk

WKR
If I remember the "law" correctly, here in MN you have to leave a front quarter naturally attached to the head if you quarter. Because of the rules, I end up dragging and I really dislike it. Dragging a deer for any distance through bluff country can turn into a suck fest real fast. I'd prefer to at least quarter them out on the spot.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Started out dragging, once I learned the gutless method it was over with. 5 or 6 gallon or 1.5 gallon Ziploc bags I can pack out a whole deer.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Any reason you don't use game bags?

Yeah I stocked up a few years back and just trying to go through them all. Hard to buy something else when these are perfectly good. Once I run out it will be tag bags.

OP
A

adamm88

WKR
Thanks for everyones advice,i have some areas where i hunt that would be a tough drag if i got a deer back in.

Murdy

WKR
Dragging even a quarter mile sucks.

This is a sore subject for me, wi dnr makes dragging almost mandatory.

I drag my deer out of the woods, only to quarter them out on the lawn.

When you weigh 145lbs, and hunt swamp country, dragging sucks

Yeah, I lived up there for 15 years, does suck. Our law is similar, though not quite as restrictive, as I understand it (can quarter but have to keep all quarters together, as explained by a CPO).

A cheap plastic tobbogan works wonders if there's snow on the ground, otherwise I use a cart if at all possible.

Felix40

WKR
The nice thing about these little deer in Texas is that there aren't many that are too big to just carry out whole. And if you have a long ways to go it's pretty quick to just gut it and strap it to a pack. I'm not a big guy and I even carried one over a mile on my shoulders a few years ago because I didn't have a pack that I could strap it to.

I used to always drag my deer to the vehicle of course on private land it's not a big deal cause you can drive closer usually, but now that I hunt farther from where I can get the vehicle to because of walk in ground I found its much easier just to bone them out load it up in your pack and go. A Havalon knife is very important because you can be more surgical and much quicker.

I am a bit new to this. Dragged out 3 last year. Last one almost killed me. Quartered one so far in fading light with time pressure. I got the main parts but probably left some good grinder meat on the carcass.

I am rethinking my rigging so a could haul the next one into a tree to make the breakdown easier. I figure even a two anchor point system gives me enough to get 150 white tail in the air by myself. A little more 550 cord and a couple of biners are going in my kill kit for next time.

DWinVA

WKR
I'm quartering more of my deer each year (only 1 so far this season). I prefer to do it with plenty of daylight left so if I find it after dark I still may drag, haul home and work up in the garage. I hunt some farm land where it's really easy to drive the FJ to within a few yards of the deer but I also hunt some rugged mountain land were a 1 mile drag is possible. One of the nice things about quartering on the spot is leaving all of the mess in the woods and not having it at home to dispose of. Another thing is quartering practice for if I ever get an elk out west. I use an EXO 3500 to pack'em out. Thanks.

God Bless.

elkyinzer

WKR
I'll also say that lately if I hit the guts, say on a hard quartering shot, I've been quartering and packing for a few years now because it makes it so much cleaner to deal with using the gutless method.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
As long as the law does not require me to bring in the deer to a check station whole, I will debone anything more than a 200 yards off the rd. I am typically not close to home and will be putting the meat in a cooler so meat in a game bag is much easier to keep cool until I get home versus a whole deer in the truck.
Give me a Kifaru and meat bags any day over dragging.

rob_E

FNG
What do you guys that go way in say 1-2 miles with a lock on, sticks, and a small back pack do to pack out a boned out deer?

Best method I've come up with is to go back to the truck with my stand then switch to my MR Pack and go back in after the deer.

Rockhound

FNG
What do you guys that go way in say 1-2 miles with a lock on, sticks, and a small back pack do to pack out a boned out deer?

Best method I've come up with is to go back to the truck with my stand then switch to my MR Pack and go back in after the deer.
agreed, two trips. I always use a climber, have been looking for small/light climbers and packs that would work well together but coming up dry! So two trips it is...

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Only had a half mile to go with this one so I didn't cut her up.

c9c86f242e45403933c9722ffaeba554.jpg

Two trips for me with a tree stand. A tree stand setup is to big and clumsy for me to try and add to a pack out. I shot a buck last season and my pack was 94# at the vehicle. I'm not man enough to try and put my climber on that.

I think if you have a decent suspension on your stand you could haul a boned out doe out in one trip.