Draw odds increase

Yeah I really don't think so. Not unless the economy collapsed long term with no more stimulus money and it just wasn't economically possible. I've been taking every chance I can to run to the woods during all this craziness.

Colorado's Parks and Wildlife announced that 2020 limited draw applications for big game were up 14,738 over 2019

I don’t think it will make much, if any, of a difference this year. That being said, if it was going to effect a draw, it’d be Idaho sheep/moose/goat. The app period was April 1-30, right in the middle of the craziness, no point system so no one looses out if they don’t apply, and NR have to front over 2k. I could see it possibly increasing the odds a bit there, but could be wrong. I do think there will be some good tags returned this year, especially in states like AZ with their point guard system.

No clue what the overall effect will be but I know some guys personally who are putting off Wyoming deer and antelope this fall. Elk and moose draws were in well before everything "got bad" so won't be effected much imo.

I could see it affecting residents of the states I have a hard time seeing a guy from Iowa applying for Colorado elk tag this year to fill a freezer seems like he would be better to buy a beef but the residents that can just pick a tag up and go I could see having a huge influx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think alot more people just bought bonus points and applied for the cheaper tags but high end tags i.e. sheep, oryx, bison etc. had a cut back. I also think there were more residents who applied thinking they needed to hunt for food but NR apps in other states may be down. I know I drew 3 NR NM tags this year and I had never drawn a NM tags in the prior 5 years of applying

The most expensive NR tag in Wyoming, bull bison, was down from just over 500 to not quite 300...so a drop in about 200 applicants. This probably has as much to do with bison getting harder and harder to find than anything else, but some could be economic.

Sheep applicants in the random pools for Bighorn sheep remained just about static: 2,286 applied for the random tags in units 2-5 in 2020, in 2019 there were 2,370. Not significant enough to improve odds much.

Folks chasing sheep, moose, goat in the lower 48 are not going to see vastly, if any, improvement in draw odds.

I have a hard time buying into the whole hunt for food concept, in reference to the pandemic. If that’s the case a .22 rifle and a small game license in your home state is 1000 times cheaper. And lot more likely to keep you fed. That and anybody wearing designer hunting clothes driving a 50,000$ rig telling me they’re hunting just to try to feed they’re family deserves to hit their shin on a Reese hitch. A lot.

I have a hard time buying into the whole hunt for food concept, in reference to the pandemic. If that’s the case a .22 rifle and a small game license in your home state is 1000 times cheaper. And lot more likely to keep you fed. That and anybody wearing designer hunting clothes driving a 50,000$ rig telling me they’re hunting just to try to feed they’re family deserves to hit their shin on a Reese hitch. A lot.

I’m not suggesting this is the case...but if the food chain is majorly disrupted, no meat is no meat despite the cost of ones vehicle.

Most draw application periods ended well before all the COVID madness ensued. I don't think draw odds were affected in the slightest.

We may see an increase in the number of tags turned back in, or a decrease in the number of over the counter tags purchased. But I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Most draw application periods ended well before all the COVID madness ensued. I don't think draw odds were affected in the slightest.

We may see an increase in the number of tags turned back in, or a decrease in the number of over the counter tags purchased. But I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

South Dakota and Wyoming are still open, and all I care about. I think SD resident apps will be through the roof. My guess is that there won't be a leftover draw for cow elk.

Wyoming gets a point harder every year and with Colorado changing season dates it'll still be harder this year than last.

I can't remember ever seeing more people in the woods. I don't think were going to see any less people applying. If anything more people are sitting around pouring over there apps.

It will obviously impact it this year and going forward. The question is how much. This year it’ll be substantially less than next year. Lots of unemployed people right now and it’ll only get worse.

This year it’s more likely to be impacted by states closing season to nonresidents or even possibly completely. Especially if the fall spike that everyone keeps talking about comes.

Back