Easton FMJ HIT insert-Broadheads wont fit

I just bought some Easton FMJ's from Cabelas. The tech installed the HIT inserts, my field points screw in just fine. But my broadheads dont (i've tried slick tricks, rage, and toxic broadheads.) The issue seems to be that the broadheads dont go deep enough to thread into the inserts. Any suggestions I could do at home? Or is it best for me to take them back and see what they can do?

And I did leave the arrows laying horizontal for over 24hrs like the tech asked to let the epoxy dry.

Thanks,

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Almost all head-lengths are standardized these days ... if your field points fit then the broadheads should fit.

Additionally, the tech would have installed the HIT with the specialized installation-tool and not specific to your fieldpoints.

Post a pic of the two heads side-by-side on the table.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The tech installed the HIT inserts

And I did leave the arrows laying horizontal for over 24hrs like the tech asked to let the epoxy dry.

The tech installed the inserts and then let you take them home immediately? That's not normal. They could have shifted, but I agree.......if your field points screw in I don't see why your BH's wouldn't.

Bfcayson

FNG
is it on all of the arrows or just a few? like mentioned above, it could be that the inserts shifted in transport do to the glue not having enough time to set up. Ive had hit or miss luck, but try getting a cigarette lighter and warming up the insert glue and gently tapping the end on concrete to shift the insert closer to the end. Like i said, hit or miss, most of the time i have to trash the arrow.

OP
T
Son of a gun, im an idiot. I think there was just some epoxy build up that was keeping the broadheads from going all the way in. I took the blades of the slick tricks and just pushed the bare point into the arrow with some more force and they went in. Appreciate everyones help.

kodiakfly

WKR
Yeah, I've had that, and it's an epoxy issue.

And there's no reason to trash an arrow for inserts. A quick shot with a torch will soften the epoxy enough to get the insert out and start over.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And there's no reason to trash an arrow for inserts. A quick shot with a torch will soften the epoxy enough to get the insert out and start over.

Not with the 24-hour epoxy. That stuff is pretty permanent. It can be broken down by enough heat, but by that time the arrow is toast.

I was thinking about the thin layer of epoxy that lines the inside of the shaft before you reach the insert, but you said FP's went in so it shouldn't have been a problem for BH's either as the shank size is the same for both.

OR Archer

WKR
How I like to set the HIT inserts is to press the insert in by hand just before it becomes flush with the shaft. Ill then carefully wipe off any excess epoxy before using the plunger to set the depth. I also clean the plunger between each insert so that there is less likely hood of getting epoxy into the threads.

kodiakfly

WKR
Not with the 24-hour epoxy. That stuff is pretty permanent. It can be broken down by enough heat, but by that time the arrow is toast.

I've gotten them out and reset before. I'll agree you gotta be careful and patient, but it'll soften up enough to come out. Do you do with a field point in the insert as you heat it? I've also tried using other slow-set epoxies that worked well too, and come out easier.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you do with a field point in the insert as you heat it?

Here's the deal with using a field point with HIT arrows. The shank of the field point actually touches the inside of the "carbon" shaft. So as you're heating the field point, you're actually heating up the carbon shaft before the heat even reaches the HIT insert. Heat is bad for carbon shafts. The shaft will break down before the epoxy does.

But I have also tried heating an 8/32's threaded rod screwed into the HIT. The rod doesn't contact the inside of the shaft so heats up the insert first. However, it takes forever to get the epoxy loose and IME it still screws up the carbon inside the shaft with the heat.

When I use epoxy, it's for permanent use. I had some FMJ's with HIT's and FP's that were all out of round and shot one into a cinder block from 10 yards. The arrow just about disintegrated, I found pieces of aluminum shrapnel weeks later. But the HIT insert was still solidly stuck in place. In fact that was about the largest section of arrow I found.

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
Well that's why I asked about the field point. That's the way I'd always done it until I ruined an FMJ a couple years ago. Ever since switching to ACC's years ago, I've been familiar with carbon and heat issues.. You're right, the HIT epoxy is serious stuff. I use a couple different epoxies I get from work and I've even used old school hot glue on a couple sets of arrows recently. I consider inserts to be consumable, but I want to be able to get one out or turn it if I need to, and we're not launching them to the Moon. I like a little serviceability.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've even used old school hot glue on a couple sets of arrows recently.

Every insert I've ever put in with hotmelt has eventually come out from just shooting. So I always use epoxy now. I've never really had any reason to remove inserts other than just to experiment with stuff. That's why I like the HIT's. They're easy, they fit well, arrow looks nice and clean, they spin perfectly, they fly great, and they last. Of all the archery products that I use, HIT's are among my favorites. They just flat out work.

Pramo

WKR
Go to a hardware store and get a 8/32 tap for about $8 that matches the field tip thread size

Chase the threads and it's fixed for good