Eating coyote: crazy idea?

KMD

Banned
Yes, that is great point about meat quality and that "you are what you eat".

Common practice when live catching feral hogs for market is to pen them up and feed sweet corn/hay to "clean them out" before butchering. After a week or two of quality feed, the meat becomes more palatable...

Yes, that is great point about meat quality and that "you are what you eat".

Common practice when live catching feral hogs for market is to pen them up and feed sweet corn/hay to "clean them out" before butchering. After a week or two of quality feed, the meat becomes more palatable...

OK, so the goal is to wrestle down some coyote's, muzzle 'em, put a leash on them and take 'em home as a family pet for a few weeks, feeding high quality rice/meat in a pen. Then kill and eat. Sounds like a plan to me. :p

boom

WKR
OK, so the goal is to wrestle down some coyote's, muzzle 'em, put a leash on them and take 'em home as a family pet for a few weeks, feeding high quality rice/meat in a pen. Then kill and eat. Sounds like a plan to me. :p

makes sense to me!! haha.

this is a big ass planet.. no way everyone on this rock eats the same. in cambodia..a coyote would be party food.

i like this thread..i dont shoot coyotes anymore. i did..never tasted a single one of them..kinda wish i had made dog kabob..just to try it. if i had to guess, i would suspect it taste like bear. :D

KMD

Banned

LOL, glad to see someone took that bait :)

Anyone ever eat bobcat or mountain lion? I've heard lion is surprisingly good!

I've eaten coyote, bobcat, and lion!

Got to try it all! I'm a predator!! Haha

Lion is my favorite! Awesome meat!

The coyote wasn't bad. All I ate was a steak!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had mountain lion also. Suprisingly good. Extremely lean meat. Not as tough as I would have thought. No coyote or bobcat here....yet.... that I know of.

_Nick_

WKR
I've eaten coyote, bobcat, and lion!

Got to try it all! I'm a predator!! Haha

Lion is my favorite! Awesome meat!

The coyote wasn't bad. All I ate was a steak!

How would you describe the taste of coyote, if you can recall?

Poser

WKR
I've heard nothing but great things about Mtn Lion meat. I would be interested to try it. -might shoot bobcat during deer season next time I get a chance. I've seen a few before, but have always let them walk.

Shrek

WKR
I guess that just leads me to another question... what is it about coyotes that make them smell so darn awful?

I think it's because they , like some dogs I've owned , like to roll in the most rotten carrion possible. That's the smell , rotten ! Even if the meat has no smell the memories of the smell associated with the coyote would come to mind if I tried to eat one. The first coyote I ever shot was a beautiful and huge female. They were just showing up in South Georgia in the late eighties and I thought it would be cool to have it mounted. I drove over to the food plot I had shot her in and tossed her into my Bronco. It was cold that morning and the heat was just starting to kick and as soon as it warmed her up a bit the stench was overwhelming. I made it about 150 yards down the road before I stopped and tossed her out. It took a thorough scubbing and lemon juice to get the smell off my hands. Some have smelled less bad and some more but all smell bad. Maybe I have a sensitive nose but I don't eat old boar hogs and there is no way in hades I'm even trying a yote. More power to you if you can disassociate the smell memories from your food but I can't.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I've had lion and was impressed. I have too been curious about coyote. Some native american tribes ate dog and there are asian countries where it is still eaten. I figire one of these days I'll try it and see for myself but until then I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if a good recipe pops up.

ScottP

WKR
I'm always amused by people who say 'coyotes are so disgusting, they smell so bad, eat all sorts of things... eww'. I often catch them then later saying 'mmm, I do love me some bacon.' I haven't eaten coyote. But I have eaten pig. And from my reckoning, coyotes are no more disgusting than pigs, probably less so. I doubt coyotes quite taste like bacon though... but I'd give it a shot if given the opportunity.

This thread is reminding me of one of my favorite conversations in pulp fiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw

I've shot a few, and have also considered trying the meat. I guess I should because only the typical sentiment has kept me from trying it. I think that we could certainly one-up the cooking over the fire with hair-on! Its interesting to note that when Steve Rinella was asked what the worst game meat was that he personally prepared, coyote was NOT the top - it was Javalina boiled in its own stomach.

I think you should go for it, and let us know how a well-treated coyote meal comes out.

Shrek

WKR
This thread is reminding me of one of my favorite conversations in pulp fiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw

I've shot a few, and have also considered trying the meat. I guess I should because only the typical sentiment has kept me from trying it. I think that we could certainly one-up the cooking over the fire with hair-on! Its interesting to note that when Steve Rinella was asked what the worst game meat was that he personally prepared, coyote was NOT the top - it was Javalina boiled in its own stomach.

I think you should go for it, and let us know how a well-treated coyote meal comes out.
Bacon is good ! Ha! Ha! One of my all time favorite movies. If Javalina are the worst thing he's eaten then I'm definitely skipping the Javalina.

_Nick_

WKR

Exactly. I think we should all go for it and have a cook-off...

Anyway, that clip deserves a proper embed so the lazy folks can watch it too:

[video=youtube;c0zJSgHDnpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw[/video]

ScottP

WKR
Exactly. I think we should all go for it and have a cook-off...

Anyway, that clip deserves a proper embed so the lazy folks can watch it too:

[video=youtube;c0zJSgHDnpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw[/video]

Nice work, I now see how to embed the vids for future ref.

_Nick_

WKR
Come next predator season, I am going to try to get a coyote. If he/she looks healthy, I'm going to cook it up (and even take the hair/hide off first). I'll post back up here with results and recipes.