Eating coyote: crazy idea?

littlebuf

Banned
ive killed plenty of coyotes and eating one has never crossed my mind. as far as feeling obligated to eat one because you killed it, i wouldn't get to choked up about it. the only thing i feel i have to do when i kill a coyote is try not to break my arm patting myself on the back. there fun to hunt, there's plenty of them and every one you kill is a better chance for a fawn to make it the first couple years of life.

Flatbow

Lil-Rokslider
years ago while living in eastern AZ I had a trapper friend that tried to eat what he caught. I was at his table many times. We tried coyote a few times, each a different way and each time said "never again". now cat, that is a different story. Mountain lion is some of the best meat there is, bobcat so close behind it. I have lived in AK now for a long time and still waiting to try lynx, it has to be as good.
there has to be bobcat in your area, try them and I think you will be pleased with the result and also have a nice pelt....

_Nick_

WKR
years ago while living in eastern AZ I had a trapper friend that tried to eat what he caught. I was at his table many times. We tried coyote a few times, each a different way and each time said "never again". now cat, that is a different story. Mountain lion is some of the best meat there is, bobcat so close behind it. I have lived in AK now for a long time and still waiting to try lynx, it has to be as good.
there has to be bobcat in your area, try them and I think you will be pleased with the result and also have a nice pelt....

How was the coyote meat cared for? I hear they can spoil fairly quickly...

Flatbow

Lil-Rokslider
trapping season in AZ mountains is done during cold weather. they were cooled and cleaned quickly...

ScottP

WKR
Come next predator season, I am going to try to get a coyote. If he/she looks healthy, I'm going to cook it up (and even take the hair/hide off first). I'll post back up here with results and recipes.

All right! A taker. I'll be sure to subscribe to this thread to get your report.

stephen b

WKR
I have had mountain lion and it was IMO- excellent. We had it as marinated kabobs with mushrooms and onions and zucchini. Also had marinated and grilled as small " chicken tender" like cuts and it was great.

I have never tried coyote before- but I would not be opposed to trying it.

This is not how I would recommend coyote- But what this thread when I saw it brought to mind when I first saw it ( today) was a unfortunate permanent indelible image I have in my mind of an incident that happened over 30 years ago. One of my crazy ( as most of them were) wrestling friends and teammates ( Jim ) from college killed a coyote one day in the fall. As he was skinning it out, one of my other teammates made Jim a dare and a bet. The dare was that he cut out one of the coyotes nads and then on the next day when the whole team was to be together cleaning the U of O football stadium take bet money from those gathered on whether Jim would eat - and swallow the nad raw. Well Jim was always game and crazy for anything, and never turned down a challenge. I knew that my other teammate knew that when he dared Jim- and confided that thought to me later.

Well the next day during a break in our cleaning the dare and the nad was revealed to the rest of be team. Dare money was placed- which ended up being over $200. The deal was be had to swallow it and keep it down. And we then all stood there and watched as Jim completed the task of the dare. To prevent grossing everyone out ( as if I haven't already); I will not go into explicit details. But the combination of the disgusted look on Jim's face when he bit and popped that raw "coyote oyster", with right after that- his huge grin and bear it smile to all of us, followed by an immediate swallowing of it. A number of us just about hurled. That was one of those sights and memories that never leave you. I know it has not for me.

So if you are into the tip to tail eating movement and want to eat the coyote, oysters and all- I would recommend cooking them.

Last edited: