EL Range TA for long range hunting?

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
What’s everybody’s opinion and experience using this for hunting 400+ yards? I now use a traditional bino and an Sig 2400 abs rangefinder. Now I am considering using a ranging bino. How well do the swaro ballistics work? Does anybody regret going from a separate rangefinder to range finding bino?

rootacres

WKR
I switched to Leica Geovids 4-5 years ago. For rifle hunting I prefer the ranging bino. Leica has onboard ballistics but I don't use it. I just use the range with the cut and then refer to a dope card I fix to the rifle. It's quick and efficient, I can set the atmospherics ahead of time. For archery hunting I still carry a handheld rangefinder (Leupold Full Draw 4 I think). I now also carry a kestrel with me. If I feel the conditions dictate needing the kestrel for a shot solution the only thing I am using the rangefinder for is the range anyway.

I will say, the new AB Furys and Sigs newest bino are pretty slick. I messed with them at an NRL Hunter match. I haven't messed with the Swaros, they're probably pretty nice. For me, glass quality was priority. That pushed me into the Swaro/Lecia category.

Independently - the optics are better in standalone Optics (including swaro). But for convenience, weight savings, etc, all-in-one’s are slick.

If you realize up front that the optics WITH range finding in them do not optically compare to optics WITHOUT range finding - then go for it.

I’m sure in the future the gap will close between optics with and without range finding, but for now, you can tell a difference when looking through. But ease of use, all-in-one capability is enticing.

I’m compared Swaro TA vs the NL Pure and I just went stand alone with separate range finding.

Depends on the hunt and how good you need the glass to be too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I know the new el ranges have the field flattened swarovision optics unlike the old el ranges. I also noticed that the field of view is actually wider in the new 10x42 el ranges than the standard el 10x42, which really surprised me. One thing that seems like a bummer is swaro doesn’t have wind holds in their ballistics. But I never use my wind holds from my rangefinder anyway. I’m starting to talk myself into going with a combo unit I think…